Are You A Cork Sniffer Or Don't Give A SH$T?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Just depends. Great amps are more important to me than pretty guitars. I like new but hate putting the scratches on them. Weird huh? I have no issues with gett8ng a decent guitar and upgrading pickups. If i had the budget to buy cork sniffing gitars i would. But i know the old modified strat from years ago can still do the job nd do it well with no fake patina.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Thank you.

3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

TRUE.

A few years after I moved into my home (1983), I found a 1984 Fender American Standard Stratocaster in an odd custom color (Grafitti Yellow) for sale for $200.00.

I drove from my home in Howell, NJ to Oakland, NJ (about 80 miles) to check out this guitar.

The seller used a pliers to cut the pick guard and replace the neck and bridge p/u's with full size Seymour Duncan Humbucking p/u's.

He also painted the pick guard and stock middle single coil p/u in some psychedelic swirl mess.

I tried the guitar and heard that he screwed up the #4 switch position putting the middle p/u out of phase with the bridge p/u.

The bridge p/u worked fine........so, deal.

I replaced the ruined pick guard with a 3 ply mint guard and put in 3 SD Hot Rails.

I also used black Fender knobs and black trem tip.

I kept the p/u's that came with the guitar for other guitar projects.

Here's the guitar today:

84 Graffitti Yellow Strat.jpg

I know this was years ago but there are other gear messes out there that are cheap and, with a little help, can be made into a usable toy.

4. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

Now I'm drooling. 1984 ASS, maple board and that colour scheme. If it was left handed I'd be waving $$$ at you :D So secksee....

Mitchell Pearrow and Mr. Natural like this.
  5. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

looks great. I bet it plays and sounds good as well.

6. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

Not a cork sniffer but every time I’ve bought something inexpensive (music related) its failed me or not been good enough

jmp45 likes this.
  7. Mr. Natural

Mr. Natural Member

Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough. Other times, you get what you pay for.

8. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I'm ok with no markers. Not a cork sniffer but I do appreciate an instrument that fits a niche. I contend that Parkers really do have a soul. This Gen 1 Nightfly is pretty much my go to right now for the most part. Crazy you'd think a carbon fiber neck with ss frets would be the most sterile thing you ever laid your hands on. Far from it, if you ever get a chance to give one a spin do so. I know, head stock, body shape odd to some. I'm ok with it, it's unique. But hey, next week it may be the SG again, that's were it all started for this guy.

[​IMG]

9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

My friend has a Fly one of the early ones and that has to have the best trem system i have ever played.

jmp45 likes this.
  10. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

When I started playing around 1984 or so, it took at least 200 dollars to get a guitar that was decent enough that trying to learn on it was not difficult and frustrating. And it'd still have cheap tuners and weak pickups with no tone and required a lot of attention by a decent guitar tech to get it playing well.

Today, for 99 bucks you get get an Affinity Strat that's better in every way than a guitar costing two or three times as much 35 years ago.

And for your same 200 to 300 dollar budget, today you can get a guitar that's gig-worthy right off the rack.

I do like premium guitars. But the general quality of every guitar in the market has come up a LONG way over the years. It's hard to find a new cheap guitar that's really BAD these days.

Much as I love to bag on Chinese garbage and Chibsons and other knockoff, even most of them are pretty good as far as playability is concerned, and even the fit and finish is adequate for the price you actually end up paying if you buy direct.

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  11. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a Squire CVC 2013 , upgraded pickups, other then that it is all original.
    Have done quite a few gigs with this great guitar, if i remeber right it cost 300$

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  12. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Am I a cork sniff or a dumpster diver?

Well, my most recent guitar trade (last month) was a Limited Edition 2013 Gibson Alpine White Burst Les Paul Signature T.

Big name for a LP Standard.

I think.:rolleyes:

Anyway (I posted it before), here it is:

2013gibsonmemphisawblpwithoutpg.jpg

It's pretty clean............uhhhhhh, the low E locking tuner is a bit wonky and there are no robot tuners:locked:.

The trade involved some of my gear that I have less than $1500.00 in...............so, I think I did well.

So far, this year I've added:

1968 Gibson ES 335
    2001 Gibson Figured Antique Walnut ES 335
    2018(19) Gibson Figured Blueberry ES 335
    2013 Gibson Antique White Burst Signature T Les Paul
    Chase Bliss Wombtone
    Electro Harmonix Ocean's 11
    Solidgoldfx The Rosie

Again, not bad.:fingersx:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    jmp45, Crikey and tce63 like this.
  13. Wolvieberzerker

Wolvieberzerker Well-Known Member

That’s called the gear page.

14. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Spending big money on guitars is great if that is what you want to do .some people like to find the The good deals . If you get a used guitar with a straight neck and up grade it to a player

15. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Buy a Carvin/Kiesel and you will get a straight neck with no need to upgrade at a fraction of the cost of the other names.

16. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

That’s called the gear page.:rofl:iliciscccaomkb

17. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Started off in the very early seventies as a non-cork-sniffer - my first electric was this junk-shop found "Orbit4" (turned out to be a Teisco SS-4L) which ended up with an in-phase/off/out-of-phase switch for each pickup - and yes, those ARE Gold-foils a-la Ry Cooder... though when I bought her, I had NO idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmp45 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can get Gold Foil p/u's loaded in new Supro guitars.

Those new Supro guitars are really good and are non cork sniffer pieces.

IMO, if you're interested in a new Supro guitar, check out Sam Ash instead of GC.

Ash has these guitars at a MUCH lower price than GC.

Wildeman likes this.
  19. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

I love cork sniffing! I grew up making wines with my dad. As a kid, I once got sent to the office for having dyed feet. They wanted to know why my feet were dyed purple? I told them; "I crush grapes for wine..." They sort-of chuckled, and sent me back to gym class. Anyway... Yes, I love the smell of a wine soaked cork.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  20. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Got my Klon Centaur, R8 and custom handwired Dumble clone.......can anyone help me with the chords to Louie, Louie?:agreed: