Are These Tube Close Enough?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by BowerR64, Mar 10, 2019.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

So that calculates to 14 watts. If it sounds good that is fine.

2. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I figured its around 60%, did you see how low it was when i got it with the stock tubes?

3. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 1:34 PM
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

There is NO arbitrary bias point that a tube has to be set at. Be aware the hotter you run them the lower the amount of headroom you will have and the shorter the tube life. I have a 6100 that i intentionally set the EL34's at 12w and it sounds and runs great. Does not have to be right at the so called 70% of max setting.

5. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

70% is industry standard. I bias all my amps @ 70% dissipation and have never had an issue.
    If the OP wants 60% or lower then good for him.
    I was having a hard time following the jist of this thread for a while.
    FWIW i bought new 6L6's for my MESA Dual Rec when i bought it but because MESA amps have non-adjustable bias from the factory the new tubes were only putting out about 40/45% dis. I switched to EL-34's and with the right tubes they were spot on 70%. The amp totally came alive & sounded way better.
    What works for me might not work for someone else & vice versa.
    Po-tate-o/Po-tot-o

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:37 PM
  6. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Charveldan, your right

At first i just kinda wanted to know if it was ok to run the 2 tubes together that were so far off matched wise like one was almost half the plate current as the other. When i first checked it one was at 14.4 and the other was 6.7 and i bumped the bias up to 30-24

There are a couple of things about this amp, it says in the manual that EL34 and 6L6 can be switch with no bias change, it says there is a switch or there was supposed to be one others say its a self biasing amp i dono ive read a bunch of different things about it. Also these tubes are china and they may of drifted a little after they were broke in?

I usually use the weber bias chart and put it in the middle depending on the plate voltage.

After i set the bias with the new tubes there is plenty of adjustment left on the bias pot i just got it in the middle and checked both tubes that they were closer matched and they are and just put it back together because i wanted to play threw it. I got tired of jacking with it

weber bias chart.jpg