Are Sweep Arpeggios Over Done?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by chromeboy, May 14, 2019.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Active Member

As more of a riff player than shredder who does know a few sweeping arpeggios I think they are over done. I was kinda done with them way back in the Yngwie Malmsteen days. I mean it is cool when used to accent the end of a solo but when it's done over and over it just gets old. Don't get me wrong, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Gilbert are all awesome players and I can definitely appreciate what they do but I like more story telling in solos or solos that fit the song well and not the whole song being a solo.
    Petrucci to me is great and also very tasty I guess to me the players I always like because of melodic playing would be players like Schenker, Schon, Beck, Trower, Frampton and the like. Sure, they may not be anywhere near as technical as the other guys but there was some real soul in what they played. Lot's of people can play fast. Hell I even saw a video of a 9 year old Asian girl that was totally shredding.
    I mean I would watch Jeff Beck bend a note just one note and I could bend the same note but, not like him.
    So, sweeping arpeggios, over done?

2. TheMindful

TheMindful New Member

I hear what you're saying, but no technique should ever be written off completely in my opinion. I've heard some sweeping that really was in service of the song and solo, and didn't feel obnoxious or like they were trying too hard. The bad examples however are quite numerous. It just depends on how they're used.

3. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Paul Gilbert never does sweeping arpeggio... That's Bruce Bouillet... Paul does sequencing arpeggios...

I agree, it's overdone by a lot of "shredders".... It's a great lick to learn, however, it should not be the center point of a great guitar solo...

4. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I just wish I could do it!! It wouldn't get over done, but it would be a nice skill to develop.

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Yes they are!

But I cant do them dam it!!!

6. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I didn't know people were still using them? Sucks, because I'm better at sweeps than anything. I don't shred, never have.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 2:36 PM
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. TheMindful

TheMindful New Member

Shred as a term is such a victim of semantics. Sometimes it's used as a positive thing, an expression of technique and power. Other times it's a negative remark about mindless speed with no actual musical consideration. I'd say if you're sweeping, that falls into the shred category/style whether it's tasteful or not.

GuitarIV, Derek S and MarshallDog like this.
  8. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

They're really not difficult, DP, that's why every one and their brother was over doing them at one time, I'm positive you could do it if you chose to (edit: you too, MarshallDog). Like you said though, it's just another nice little skill to develop to go with others....to not overdo it is the real skill.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 5:03 PM
  9. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Well, I don't use lighting speed 8O's type sweeping. I can, and have, but I'd need my old Soldano SP-77 + Rocktron rig to make it sound like I'd want. Peter Frampton and EVH are more my style these days. I use major/minor triad "sweeps" quite a bit, mostly when noodling.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    dptone5 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Good question/topic.

If we're talking metal music, perhaps in certain/specific metal genres there's a lot of sweep arpeggios going on, but I don't think sweep arpeggio technique is running wild in general for metal music. In current rock music, it's hardly featured. In pop, blues, jazz music (and their variations) I also don't think sweep arpeggios are a big technique among guitar players (I think it ever really caught on much in those genres).

But if you're listening to a specific type of metal where guitarists tend to use sweep arpeggios, I say let that be part of you inspiration to be different and in doing so, be the one who "stands out in the crowd." I don't think guitarists need to be able to sweep arpeggios simply because everyone else is doing that for the type of music you listen. I think metal music in general will be just fine whether sweep arpeggios die out, make a come back, or stay at the current level of frequency.

Practice/play/do things your way and you'll probably find you're pretty damn good at whatever you do.

11. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

it is great to hear single notes played and you hear the chord structure, especially, when the chords are many and a non standard structure

ricksconnected likes this.
  12. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of guys over the years who could sweep. Almost every time, they sucked at anything else or they were good at lead playing but couldn't play rhythm to save their life. I think the sweep arpeggio should have been outlawed after Glenn Tipton did it in the Painkiller song. Ok, that's it! No need to do it anymore Glenn just showed us the most metal and tasteful way to do it :)

13. EndGame00

The only sweeping I do is the driveway during Spring...

14. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

sweeping is like a tray of brownies.
    they are sweet and tasty and usually a welcomed delight.
    however, you dont want to set down and eat a whole tray of
    them at once because they will give you that sick feeling in
    the end.
    and the cook that tends to over cook them every time you
    learn to avoid them but still appreciate the cook just the same.

i like my brownies moist, a bit chewy and warm straight out of the oven.

15. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

wisdom post of the day. :h5:

16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Great thoughts! I agree about metal players (and fusion/jazz as well, but it is much less common, guys like Gambale or Carlton maybe will sweep a good bit, but usually in tasteful ways) using them in cool ways, I think even Randy Rhoads slipped in some melodic diminished arpeggio ideas here and there but not in the cliché sweeping fashion. The worst offenders of that IMO were the "neo classical" dudes (now there was a short lived genre)...those were really the only ones that I just couldn't take hearing abuse that technique (I love Yngwie, but for other aspects of his playing - when he gets carried away sweeping it just sounds like he's flipped the auto pilot switch and he loses me).

ricksconnected likes this.
  17. TheMindful

TheMindful New Member

It sounds like there's this assumption that sweeping is always done at the speed of light. I agree that when this is done, I'm out. Jake E Lee does something between sweeping and scraping in this Ozzy solo I listened to the other day and it was a pretty killer variation on that technique.

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  18. EndGame00

Funny, I can only do major and minor chord sweep arpeggio.. everything else my fingers get tangled...

19. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely over done.

And that's why I don't do them...:coffee:

20. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

This is me a couple of years back:

I was working to get this down clean for a month or so and when I finally did I was pretty proud of myself. Does it suit the song? This one it does imo, but you can argue over that and I completely get what you're saying. Sometimes it seems to be more of a technical skill that people simply play to show off that they can do it. And when they do it gets boring pretty fast.

One great example of sweep arpeggios used right is Marty Friedmans Tornado of Souls solo. Listen to the sweep starting somewhere around the 23 second mark:

This is how you do it right imho. It adds to the melody instead of subtracting. So it can be overdone and often is, but when utilized right it sounds AWESOME.