Are Big Amps A Thing Of The Past?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by G the wildman, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Mott

Mott Member

I am one of the holdouts on big rigs in my circle. That being said, taking a little extra time and muscle to haul a stack to a gig always pays off in dividends. People are impressed with the visual and the undeniable tone. Many of my constituents are older, as am I relatively, and just don't want to mess with hauling big gear. It's a status symbol and a lifestyle for me, like riding Harleys. I think there will always be that mentality amongst a certain group of us. I always buy them right and don't run them too loud either if I don't need to.

2. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

"smaller is better" is your opinion.

Bluesbird and Crikey like this.
  3. Shae201

Shae201 Well-Known Member

Love my 50 and 100 watters. That will never change unless im dead. No lunchboxes or modelers for me (not that they dont have a purpose for other musicians).

4. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

JVM410HJS and a 4 x 12 for me at 90% of my gigs, the other 10% is my DSL40CR. I don't think big amps are a thing of the past.

Mitchell Pearrow and marshalltsl like this.
  5. Kostas

Kostas Member

From what I have seen so far I believe the big amps and tube amps in general will not be the norm after 50 years. If the Kemper & Fractal are so good today I can only imagine how good and how less expensive they would be in 50 years. They are also more versatile, you can record directly and you play live directly into the PA. They are easy to carry and they need less maintenance. The negative thing is they are old news after 10 years, like an old PC. On the other hand, if they are working properly and you like their sound why upgrade?

The 20 yr olds of 2070 will not be raised with tubes like we did, they will be even more accustomed with new technologies than the 20 yr olds of today. The working musician wants to carry as less as possible. I imagine at some point guitarists will gig with an app from their phone going directly into the (digital) PA, wirelessly! At some point, the tube & big watt fetish will start fading as the new generations will come.

BTW....I have tube amps and I'll always have, I can't see myself getting into a menu and tweaking endlessly. I just keep my mind open and see what's going on currently. If I was 20 yr old today and I was using a laptop since kindergarden I would probably play through something like garageband or through a modeler.

Bluesbird, scozz and SkyMonkey like this.
  6. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Active Member

Not a thing of the past for me! :)

Mitchell Pearrow and Far Rider like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Your really only looking at a 10lb difference between a 50w and 100w amp. I have always tried the 50w & 100w version of any amp I was interested in, and so far the 100w one has always won out. Mostly for the tone, and sometimes for the options on the 100w one over the 50w one. Never has it been about power though, in fact I always have the amp set in less than 100% of it's main power as a rule. I always wondered if you could use the same iron in a 50w amp that you do in the 100w unit, and if so would you get more of the 100w sound without the power. I also find if you use the right speakers a 2-12" cab work's just fine, a 4-12" cab is a real pain in the ass to move around also. Even a real good 1-12" speaker can sound very good, but I like a 2-12" set up with a speaker mix best.

Bluesbird likes this.
  8. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I think all the people mentioning the current state of the music industry are dead on. Now that music isn't worth anything anymore even big acts like Metallica have gone digital. The money they save in freight is substantial. Metallica doesn't seem to care how bad they sound anyway. The Kemper and Fractal actually do deliver the goods like they claim. To me the Fractal/Kemper units sound amazing through a Tube Poweramp. The Kemper sounds just like a mic'd amp. The sound is so close that the guys that designed several amps can't tell the difference between the Kemper and their amp.

Bluesbird likes this.
  9. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

I love my JMDs digital thing I put a TS-9 in the front and just rip the volume knob off and the power tube majic happens.
    I did mod the crap out of the power section, reduced neg feed back and added a choke and incresed the signal to the phase inverter. it did effect the clean settings but I don't use clean channels

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup, I can see all of this happening,...unfortunately,....:(

It kinda seems inevitable doesn’t it?

John Ambrose Fleming will flip in his grave! :cool:

Bluesbird and Far Rider like this.
  11. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

If you build it, they will come. :agreed:

Mitchell Pearrow and Bluesbird like this.
  12. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

And 33RPM LP's are obsolete.

Until they started showing back up as boutique purchases.

What comes around, goes around. I'm probably off-base here but with the resurgence in garage bands harkening back to their influences, I don't believe big tube amps will go away.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

One should have at least one big amp and one small amp and one modeling amp, and several cabs, and at least a combo amp, and so forth. Use the right tool for whatever job is at hand. Different jobs require different tools.

Your actually more likely to be able to use a big amp at home these days rather than at the typical gig or jam, if that's what you want to do. If you want a 100 watt stack then I see nothing wrong with it.

You guys who may have a spouse demanding you sell off things you don't actually need and reduce you foot print in the basement, and refuses to help you get the 4x12 up and down the stairs, I will give a pass.

Ivanock and Cadorman like this.
  14. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

As always, there will be someone who says big amps are hype, dead, etc. Surly the market is shifting, but a shifting market is never an indication that what is in decline is dead or will become dead. The '70s came and tube amps became a thing of the past, right?
    Sure big amps for gigs are understandably on the out. But to say they are a thing of the past is almost absurd.
    I'll believe big amps are dead when they have no value. Until then, get real.

15. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

As long as gas is not putting the family in financial dire straights wifey can be quiet.

Cadorman and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. anitoli

Harken back to the days of good ol SS, so great this new technology that tubes are gonna disappear. Didn't quite work out that way did it.

17. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

18. anitoli

Hey if you pay for the tits..............................

19. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

They are already there and natural I believe.

20. anitoli

Then she would be bossing me around. :D