Are All The Professional Rock/metal Guitarists Ditching Their Marshall’s For Friedman’s All Wrong

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, May 6, 2019.

1. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Vacuum tubes sound great when they get unstable.the great amp builders know how to work with it.

2. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

Well as someone who ran a backline company until two years ago. The go to amps by the pros has always been Marshalls. Some would ask for Mesa or Peavey, some Engal but very few. I personally have never had any artist ask for Friedman. I know some pros use them but face it, the pros are usually the only ones who can afford it. And to be honest, I don't hear a noticeably distinction in tone. Considering most use effects pedals it's hard to tell what one artist is using over another. Now bands are using iso cabs off stage so we have no idea what they are using amp wise. .

3. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

It's endorsement, an excellent -and expensive- way for upcoming companies to promote their products. Friedman, Synergy, etc. Some do it better than others.

4. chromeboy

Well, what sounds good to one may not sound good to another. As always it's personal preference. As far as the VH sound goes and wanting it, learn to play like VH and play the gear he uses, that's how you get the VH sound! As far as I know, VH doesn't use Friedman.
    Not knocking Friedman as they are a great amp. So far most of the bands I have done back line work for didn't use Friedman and went with Marshall's. I do know that some of the bigger bands use them though. No adays most big groups are using cabs in iso cabs and their amps are off stage so knows what they are really using.

5. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

Touring bands ask for amps like Marshall DSL's because they are familiar with them, easy to replace and relatively cheap. Most guys who are using high end amps are bringing their own gear when they tour. Old 80's bands such as Dokken are just fine if they show up at a gig and see Marshall DSL's. They are not making a ton of money in the first place and it is best to keep expenses as low as possible.

6. chromeboy

Friedmans are great amps no doubt. Are they worth what they are asking for them? Well if you love that sound then yeah. Similarly the same can be said of Soldano amps. Great amps as well but worth over 2 grand? Again if you love that tone then yeah. There are all kinds of boutique amps out there that to me are way over priced but they are still bought by many and have loyal customers. I've been playing over 40 years and have played through Marshall's, Mesa's, Fenders, EVH, Peavey, Laney, Vox, and Randall. I have always managed to get a good tone out of all those amps, very usable tones. Preference wise I have always loved the Soldano tone but could never really afford to buy one (honestly, could never justify paying that much) so when Jet City came out (I had never heard of them ) then heard that Soldano had his name on it I had to check it out. To my ears, it sound f-ING great and as close to the real deal as I had ever heard. Then I found out the price point and it was a no brainer. I figured if they turned out to be junk ( I know they're made in China ) then I could return them and buy another Marshall. Well, I ended up buying another Jet City head along with two Jet City 2x12 cabs. I have never looked back. Some may like Jet City and some hate them. So to each their own. The reality is that to the average person( those who may come see you perform) they won't notice or ever care what amp you play. I used to play through three full Marshall stacks but to be honest, it was mostly to impress my musician friends. I have no need to impress anyone with how expensive of an amp I own. Most touring acts use back line companies anyway so they may not always have what the artists need. Sure they can use their specific amps but I'm sure it's not sheap to transport them. Just my two cents.

John 14:6 and Filipe Soares like this.
  7. chromeboy

Believe it or not, most of the bands I worked with asked for jcm900's or jcm 800's which was fine with me cause whad plenty of those. The bands that do use friedmans are the bigger bands

John 14:6 likes this.
  8. John 14:6

I totally hear you and agree in large part. I use to think it was the silliest thing in the world to spend more than two grand on any amp, and I was the first to say if you want the Marshall sound then buy a freaking Marshall. I even argued the point online for years including with John Suhr on The Gear Page. I have been through many Marshall and other amps over the years. I remember thinking when I sold my Marshall YJM100 that I was going to finally try a Friedman Small Box. I figured if I did not like it I could always flip it without losing any money. I bought a six month old one in mint condition. That was five years ago and I love the thing more every time I plug in. Zero gas for anything else and I have absolutely no idea what I would replace it with if it didn't exist. It is the perfect ultimate Marshall style amp for my personal tastes.

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong and I have apologized to people such as John Suhr and Dave Friedman on The Gear Page. Any decent player should be able to plug into a good Marshall like a DSL and get good or great tones. My problem was that I had done Marshalls like an original Jubilee, DSL, JVM, YJM100 and other Marshalls, plus Mesas, Splawns, Randalls, Carvins and others. I would ALWAYS eventually get to a place where I was not happy with my tone and went on the hunt for the next amp hoping it would do it for me. Some honeymoons were longer than other. My Friedman Small Box is the keeper.

9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Friedman amps I’ve owned and played sound anything like my Marshalls. Not sure where the ‘either/or’ thing comes from? If you need the Marshall sound and feel you don’t want a Friedman and vice-versa.

Goldfinger likes this.
  10. tallcoolone

And maybe they like the tone they get out of them???

The gear isn’t the end game guys. A Friedman isn’t ‘better’ than a DSL, it’s just different.

11. John 14:6

My Friedman Small Box sounds more like a Marshall Plexi than my DSL ever could and I have owned a Plexi. The Marshall sound is certainly there in the Small Box which is voiced more vintage sounding on the BE channel than the BE100. Not sure which Friedman amps you owned or played through. All my favorite tones from classic records are there. DSL's are good amp and the new ones are probably the best bang for the buck under a grand tube amp on the market in my opinion.

bufbills and MarshallDog like this.
  12. tallcoolone

I've owned at least 2 dozen Marshalls. Had 2 BE/HBE modded JMPs and I've gigged with a 50w Runt a couple times. No Marshall I've ever played has that much low end or gain as those amps did.

Marshalls have more high end and high mids. Completely different voicing from the Friedmans I have experience with.

13. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

He will if Dave gives him one or offers a Slash Sig model!

14. John 14:6

Try a Small Box. It will get that Vinatge Marshall tone on the Plexi channel which is voiced after Dave Friedman's 68 Plexi. He nailed it. The BE channel on the Small Box is more vintage voiced version of Friedman's BE circuit and can nail lots of Marshall sounds including old Van Halen.

MarshallDog likes this.
  15. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Not to get off topic but isn’t there a crossover with some of the Friedman models. I’ve tried a dirty Shirley 40 h , small box 50 and a runt 50. Thought the ds 40 And smallbox 50 gain channel we’re pretty similar.

16. John 14:6

I don't think the Small Box and Dirty Shirley sound anything alike to my ears. Check out the video I just posted where those two amps are going head to head. Plus the DS does not use EL34 power tubes. The DS can get some cool tones, but it is not really my thing. The Small Box is all AC/DC, Van Halen and more.

17. chromeboy

As always, it's personal preference when buying an amp or how good it sounds. What sounds good to me may not sound good to another. Bottom line, buy what sounds good to you. Having a great amp won't make you play and sound better. Being a better player will make you sound better. AND, quiet as it's kept, the audience doesn't give a shit whether you are playing through a lower end amp or an amp that cost you 3 grand. They only care that you sound good and play good.

18. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Somewhat disagree. Having played completely shitty drumsets (and guitars that never stayed in tune, for that matter) for my entire formative years drained my creativity and strained my patience. Made me decent drum tech in my 40's, tho.
    But when I was gigging in Jr Hi and Hi school w my totally problem-free and blisteringly loud '62 Bassman and my Tele I was never concerned with anything going wrong with my gear and my alleged talent flourished. Decent, non problematic, solid gear that at least somewhat approximates the sound you have in your head is essential at any part of a musicians life. :hbang::hbang::hbang:

John 14:6 likes this.
  19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If an amp can give you the tone you are looking for you will lock onto that and play better.

rick16v, 4Horseman and John 14:6 like this.
  20. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with that.