Are All The Professional Rock/metal Guitarists Ditching Their Marshall’s For Friedman’s All Wrong

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, May 6, 2019.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I think the main difference is:
    that I am 'just as' knowledgeable...but I am not trying to sell you anything.

My post is not a cleverly disguised ad campaign. It's a real person making an intelligent observation.

marshalltsl likes this.
  2. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I played a BE-100 for a little while in a shop once. It was nice and I can see why guys like it but it just wasn’t for me. I always thought I hated the trebly tendencies of Marshalls til I started messing around with amps that didn’t have it and I’ve decided that the characteristics we often call “spikiness” are one of the things that make the amps fun to play. I’ve started calling it “liveliness” and the BE just lacked that. Having said that it produced beautiful, smooth high gain tones and maintained its composure while doing it. If I was playing metal and didn’t want to go the Mesa route I’d definitely be looking at Friedman.

3. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I got a BE-OD pedal, does that count?

Ian Alderman and tce63 like this.
  4. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

I really like the Friedman stuff. I've had a BE-100 and PT-20 over the years, and have my eye on a Small Box next. The stuff sounds great, it's really well made...and if you ever have questions or issues, you can contact Dave directly and he'll get right back to you.

Some of the beauty of Dave's amps are that he's been able to really accurately bottle the sound of a cranked up power section, and stick it in the amp's preamp section. So if you love the sound of a pinned Super Lead, but need to play at a reasonable volume on stage, you can get that tone....along with a transparent effects loop, a great master volume and a build quality that you could throw off of the back of a moving truck and it would still probably be fine. You can also get more modern tones with more gain and low end on tap than a typical Marshall would provide if you want it.

Marshalls are great. Bogners are great. Friedmans are great. At the end of the day I think it really just boils down to what works with your ears and your hands, and especially with touring professionals, what kind of working relationship you make with the company. We're in a golden era of excellent gear being at our disposal. Just find what works for you and rock.

5. Fender

Fender Active Member

I like my friedman and I like my marshalls...
    They're great on their own, yet, since I began to fiddle with a well featured EQ in the loop, I don't really bother anymore carefully choosing an amp sound-based, but more weight-based or venue-based. I feel that with the right eq-shape, one or two overdrives, I can make any amp sound like any other amp...

6. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

What are the mods he actually made to the amp?

7. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

2 reason's i'm staying with Marshall ...

1. Affordability !!! A working man can actually afford most Marshall amps ... imo
    2. Killer tone !!! I've been gettin it done for years with Marshall , i see no reason to jump ship .

On top of all that , there isn't a Friedman amp for miles (kms) around these parts that you could go play to even hear one !

Pic from the net , it looked cool , so i'm posting it .

72651494_10156854201776917_5763852789906145280_n.jpg

tce63, DBI5, marshalltsl and 2 others like this.
  8. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Haha that is so true. Most of us here probably own nicer guitars an amps than the guy playing clubs every weekend in your city or small town. My first amp was a Peavey Bandit. 12” combo amp I played for years and years. When I cranked it to hear it above a drum set it sounded like trash. When I grew up and got a real job or career I finally bought the gear I would have given my left Nut for back then. I wouldn’t change anything tho. I think most of us play our rockstar gear to unwind from a stressful week of being worker bees. Nothing like comin home and cranking a Marshall that’s big enough to play an arena that’s way overkill for anything I’d ever need... but it makes me happy and I had to bust my ass for it.

9. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Exactly this and since I don’t drink ...even moreso .