Are All The Professional Rock/metal Guitarists Ditching Their Marshall’s For Friedman’s All Wrong

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, May 6, 2019.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Well the tread title asks the question really.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

Only time will tell.

3. Ufoscorpion

Is it just a fad , will they all be dragging the Marshall's out again in 5 years time ? It just seems like once they go Friedman there's no going back , that's got to say something . I'm really curious to the point where I'm going to have to go well out of my way to try them out , never seen or heard one in the flesh let alone played one .

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Eh?

I thought Mesa and Peavey owned that market?

5. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

i don’t know how it will turn out but i do know that the price of admission into the friedman club is too high for me (a nonprofessional musician). For the same price or less i can get a product that is hand wired, not pcb, and personalized with features that i want and request.

from the reactions of some friedman users there might be some magical formula to them which transcends other amps but the proletariat in me struggles to reject it.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Which artists ?
    Which Marshalls ?

Friedman's not going anywhere so buckle up.

7. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Depends on what you do & how much coin you have I guess.

8. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Friedman amps with their exaggerated bass and over the top gain sound great at home by themselves. Thats the market I see them ‘cleaning up’ in—home hobbyists with extra disposable income.

Most ‘pros’ I know don’t know what hand wired means and use Marshall Fender Mesa and Peavey amps.

9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I am not sure what the Metal Market is doing but I own an SB 50 combo and love it! Its not going anywhere. Cuts nice in a band mix also!

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I really don't have any faith in an amp maker who declares that all JJ tubes are defective.
    As far as "all professionals...ditching Marshalls..." that's just a silly rumor (like the JJ tubes rumor).
    We are not conducting our lives based on a silly uninformed mob mentality.
    Let's see Friedman compete with a well established / well respected multi-million dollar corporation. (so what?)

Indecently if you look inside a Friedman amp: you are likely to see a copy of a Marshall / Fender circuit. Which is exactly where these circuits came from. Without Fender / Marshall to imitate these type amp makers would be................... nobody. :lol::lol::lol:

11. Ufoscorpion

It's happening mate like it or not , even if you're more knowledgeable than Dave Friedman or NOT .

steveb63 and MarshallDog like this.
  12. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

All of them ? Definitely not. Last "household names" I saw live in the past few months (Doug Aldrich, John Norum, Slash, Michael Schenker) still use Marshalls onstage (Aldrich had his Suhr-modded JMP, and used a JCM800 RI as the other half of his stereo rig).
    For sure, some rock guys have moved to Friedman, but not all of them, far from it (David Lowy of the Dead Daisies had a BE-100 btw). Even Steve Stevens, a Friedman endorsee, still has a Superlead in his live rig (along the Friedmans).
    And only time will tell how many of them will stay with him or will move on to another brand. And anyway, I don't even think Dave Friedman himself wants to actually compete with Marshall. Which will always be the image and sound of the rock genre. He's cornered some of the high-end market with his amps, but the "cheaper" models such as the Runt, you don't see much, if ever. At least here (I'm in France).

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. Robus

Robus Active Member

14. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Indecently or incidentally?

Trelwheen likes this.
  15. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I own one but I waited 3 years until I miraculously found a smallbox head for 1700. And I picked up right near my house.
    I had the money to buy one brand new from GC if I wanted, there was just no way in hell I would pay three large for a head or combo with ONE channel, or for that matter 3 large for a combo with one speaker. It's insane. And the sad thing is there's probably not a huge profit margin at the price he's asking.
    I really think he should make 2x12 combos, and I really think you should be able to jumper the channels. But I like mine a lot, and I don't think I'll ever lose money on it which is nice.

16. charveldan

Not true. Friedman has been making Custom rack rigs & amps to the stars since 1993.
    Ive seen him go from that to one of the biggest leading amp, guitars & gear manufactuers in the USA and beyond.
    BTW who buys anything from PV anymore ? lol.

ricksconnected and MarshallDog like this.
  17. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I'm not that impressed by the sound of Friedman amplifiers. They sound good, but there's nothing unique happening there. I would like to try a SB 50 with a Heritage G12-65 loaded 4x12 cabinet. Vintage 30 and Greenback speakers aren't the best match when using excessive preamp gain. Not to me anyway.

For my needs, 80's era Marshall Silver Jubilee, Wizard, Morris, and Victory/Cornford are where it's at. Yeah, I dig the low mids! :)

paul hancher likes this.
  18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Not saying Dave hasn’t been around for a while, nor am I saying his stuff isn’t popular. I’m saying the modern “Friedman tone” is well suited (dare I say designed for?) players who don’t play live.

Who buys Peavey? Guys who play in clubs and bars. Working musicians as a rule don’t play $3k amps. Home players and hobbyists do. This coming from mainly a play at home guy.

I had a BE mod back before Dave was a big name. Great dude and killer tone. Not the best choice for cutting through a mix however. IMO/IME of course.

67Mopar and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  19. charveldan

Im on the Friedman group on FB, tons of players both local & Pro playing live. I see it everyday. Not sure where you're getting that from.
    Don't ever say you won't do something because before you know it you'll be doing it.
    Dave worked with Bruce Egnater for years before he moved to LA.
    Not sure why the hate on a guy leading the music industry in every category.
    Peavey has died a slow death since da 80's. Hartly has fired all his American employees and moved to other countries. IDK why anyone would buy that mass produced made in China crap now.
    Even in their hayday Peavey products were average at best.
    Ive owned Carvin & Peavey stuff before and what i learned is you can't sell it cuz nobody wants it. You practically have to give it away & take a loss to get rid of it.
    Lessons learned.

HOT TUBES 70 and steveb63 like this.
  20. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm a former Friedman SB owner as well and they do cut great in a full mix, not sure where that myth came from but it's simply not the case, hell, I could easily get amazing VH type tones (never mistaken for non mix cutting lol) with that amp and the right speakers.