Anyone tried these?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Jan 18, 2020.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried one of these loops? If so, how was it to install?
    http://www.ceriatone.com/mod-buffered-loop-switch/

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Nik Henville likes this.
  3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yep, they said it was a Metro copy, I guess Metro made some changes at first so they did not use them until somewhat recently. Is that one a drop in unit as well and a "better" unit in any way? What is the adj. knob for, like a send / return adjust you see on some?

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

On the Metro board there is 2 separate active FET stages for send and return.
    On the knock-off, there is one active stage - for return only.

Basically there is high level and low audio level effects units.
    The loop needs to match whichever type (hi or low) is being used.
    On the Metro board, there is 2 possible signal levels (high and low) which is switchable. This is built onto the board.
    On the knock-off you would change resistors to adjust between high and low level effects units.

On both boards there is a return level pot adjustment. (but no send level adjustment pot)
    On both boards there is the possibility of a bypass switch (or not...)

The board lends itself to modifying.
    I found with the Metro board that I needed to tweak the resistors to get the exact send return levels I wanted....the adjustment range was not broad enough to accommodate line level/ high level / studio rack effects units.
    But once I tweaked the levels, I was happy getting a pretty clean loop function from the Metro.

5. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

While I have not used the Metro or Ceriatone, I have used the Granger. It has adjustable send and return levels and works quite well. I like that the level pots are accessible with a small screwdriver, through the jacks. While all three (and possibly a couple other brands) are obviously a clones/copies of each other, I prefer the layout and packaging of the Granger. Quite transparent and minimal signal degradation or coloring of tone.

https://grangeramp.com/product/ultimate-fx-loop-2/
    image.png

Just My $.02,
    Gene

6. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

Amp,

How did you measure and determine that yours needed modification?

Thanks.

"The board lends itself to modifying.
    I found with the Metro board that I needed to tweak the resistors to get the exact send return levels I wanted....the adjustment range was not broad enough to accommodate line level/ high level / studio rack effects units.
    But once I tweaked the levels, I was happy getting a pretty clean loop function from the Metro."

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I didn't yet, however it is not a buffered system and as so may only run 1 or 2 pedals well. I don't use pedals as a rule but I do want it to work the best it can with 4CM setup's from my Frac. & Helix. I was going to just get one of the C-Lator or Klein-Ulator until I saw these. All 3 look fine, but as the amp is a Ceriatone I will probably go that route, unless there is a worthwhile difference. Does anyone know if I would even need this level of loop with a 4CM using the Helix or FX8?

8. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

My apologies, that question was ampmadscientist.

9. 66 Kicks

66 Kicks New Member

The Ceriatone SS Buffered Loop is fully buffered and has an onboard Send Level. The Send and Return jacks are not mounted on the board. There is no onboard Return Level, but a remotely mounted Return Level can easily be inserted. As with other loops, a bypass switch is also easily inserted.

Ceriatone SS Fx Loop.gif