Anyone Tried More Than 1 Of The 20 Watters?? Studio/dsl/origin??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by riffpowers, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:52 PM.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers New Member

I'm in the UK and still unable to get hold of any of the new 20 watt marshalls, everywhere is sold out!!

I'm a gigging guitarist who loves jcm800's but finds even the 2204's overpowered for todays gigs.
    I've had loads of 2204's and 2203's, a 1987x (all of which I loved) but never owned a dsl or origin.

I want to try at the very least the new studio classic and the studio vintage, as well as the origin 20 and dsl 20 (which are easier to find)

I wondered if anyone has tried more than 1 of the 20 watters? I'm interested in your impressions of the amps.

2. walshb

walshb Member

I know you didn't ask about the Mini Jubilee, but it still falls into this category. I own a MJ combo and the JCM800 Studio Classic. The SC is much louder and not as versatile, the tone knobs don't work as well as they do on the MJ, and it doesn't have the clean channel. Still sounds good and rolling off the guitar volume cleans it up pretty nicely, but if I had to choose one, the MJ would definitely be the one.

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

The only ones I have seen are the 20 watt origins ! Cheers

stringtree likes this.
  4. Len

Len Well-Known Member

To me the DSL20H sounded kinda boxy and I really needed to tweak the controls to get a decent tone out of it.

On the other hand, the SC20H sounds great, with plenty of low end, and sounds great with controls at noon, before tweaking to get more good tones.

stringtree likes this.
  5. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I agree about the mini jube is maybe the most versatile of the 20 watters , but it sure is great that marshall have got on the 20 watter train at long last and given us some choice and I hope they continue

6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

I'm in the States and on the list for an SV20H and SC20H myself. Gas is strong. I played 800s back when they were the latest. I've also always wanted a 4 hole Marshall also so the SV20H is even higher on the list of both. It hits right where the majority of my influences are even though I'm an 80s guy. 51 years old.

I have the Origin 20H, DSL20HR and Mini Jubilee 2525H. The "Overseas" models are great amps for the price. Especially the Origin. I liked them so much that initially they took the starting lineup. Again, especially the Origin. But, since then the Mini Jubilee has gone right back to front and center. It is a great sounding amp and very versatile. It is the better amp of the three.

7. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

I would own a Mini Jubilee, too if there wasn't this cocked wah sound, which you just can't dial out.
    That drives me nuts with the Mini Jube and is the only reason I don't bought it.
    Firstly I thought, it was the small cab and the speaker - but it's there with bigger cabs, too.
    The SC20 doesn't have that problem, so I would prefer the SC20.

stringtree likes this.
  8. riffpowers

riffpowers New Member

I tried mini jubilee and matching 4x12 before Xmas and loved it . If it’d still been there when I went back I’d have bought it !!

stringtree and walshb like this.
  9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have the SV combo what can i say its a mini 1959 plexi, tried the jube once didnt care for it I didnt spend much time with it but the dsl i liked it for its aggressiveness.

10. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Member

I notice more cocked wah with my 2525H when I use my 1960AX with Greenbacks. I hear less of that with the bass control up to 8 or 9 which is where I keep it. This is in the lead channel. Vintage 30s not as much.

stringtree and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  11. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Most of us in here have either tried them all in person or vicariously thru YT and members clips and reviews. I live vicariously through membership.
    That being said........
    1.If spending money to get the best is the way you roll then get which ever of the Studio Series suits your needs/fancy.
    2.If more of a vintage tone tickles your fancy the Origin Series is the way to go with the caveat that this is the less expensive option and will not take you to where the Series issue can.
    3. The DSL line is less expensive with the majority of owners very pleased with the amps which offer a more modern flair in their tonality however well capable of dishing out what you need, to a point.
    In short..If you want / need the REAL THING it's got to be the Series line.
    The others are lesser variations / versions of them.
    :2c:
    BP

12. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have owned the Mini Jubilee head & cab, the Origin 20H, the DSL 20HR and the SV20H.
    They are all different sounding and operating amps. The only apples to apples comparison you can do is that they are all 20 watt.
    For what it's worth I will give my thoughts:
    The Jubilee sounds sort of like the SV with an OD pedal in front that I don't like. The EQ on that amp is weird and finicky. You will either like it or not. The clean is very nice and it is capable of a very nice bluesy tone as well. In the higher gain settings, this amp wants to be turned up loud.
    The DSL 20 is the Monster high gain of them all. If you want or need high gain this is your boy. This amp is also the most versatile. Will cover more ground without any pedals. I would describe the DSL as being a killer high gain tone along with the capability of being in the ballpark of all the other amps. Not exactly but close enough.
    The Origin, well the retarded brother of them all, Just kidding :) The best way to describe the Origin is that it wants to be a mini plexi and gets close. It also is more versatile than the SV and a lot cheaper. It has no where near the gain of the Jubilee or the DSL. It can be set clean and works very well as a pedal platform amp. It also has the best power settings of them all, having 3 different modes to choose.
    So, the SV. This is the "Mini Plexi". If you like the "plexi sound' this one is it. And also like the original Plexi, even at 20 or 5 watt this amp is LOUD! No high gain here but classic rock in spades! The Origin can more easily achieve a clean tone.

Each person will choose what they like best. For me I sold the Jubilee and Origin and I am keeping the DSL and SV. I like classic rock stuff and also tuned down heavy metal. I never was a big fan of the 80's JCM 800 tone. If you are a fan of the 80's music then definitely check out the SC.

13. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

I pounced on an SC20H the first week. At first I was like :nono: its missing 80 watts and then days later I was like gimme that!

[​IMG]

14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I've tried them all except the SV20 and they are all good and hold true to their larger counterparts. The mini Jube sounds like a Jube, the mini DSL sounds like a DSL, etc. get the one you like, if you like JCM800 tone then get the mini JCM800 you wont be disappointed. :yesway:

15. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

If it sounded like the 2555X I would own one.

tce63 and Michael Roe like this.
  16. pedecamp

So go buy one!

tce63 likes this.
  17. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll buy a 2555X one day. But the Mini Jube sounds quite different and has this weird mids.
    The SC20 and SV20 sound more similar to their bigger brothers.

tce63 and Michael Roe like this.
  18. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

in the 1299 range.. Friedman Mini DS is an option.

tce63 and stringtree like this.
  19. pedecamp

I dont like Jube tone in general so plugging into a mini Jube the tone was instantly recognizable to me, didn't like it either. I suppose I wont be buying any Jubes big or small any time soon. ;)

Len and tce63 like this.
  20. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Like always: One man's trash is another man's treasure! :agreed:

slide222 and tce63 like this.