Anyone Running An Eq Through Their Fx Loop?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kutt, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Always.

2. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I only do it on my cheap HT-20 to make it sound less boxy. IMO, if an amp needs an external EQ to sound good then maybe it’s not the right amp for you.

3. mickeydg5

In my opinion there is no combination that is perfect so a good EQ gets you that much closer.

4. xeizo

xeizo Member

Ok, so I tried it at rehearsal. I didn't try a ton of settings as focus was on playing music and preparing for an upcoming gig but anyway: I put the GE-7 in the loop of my DSL20HR, no problems with noise or anything. My base sound without the EQ is really perfect without the band playing, the DSL20HR with Creambacks sounds exactly as I want my amp to sound.

What I did was trying the inverted U known from EVH and Slash and no extra gain from the pedal with the full band, which indeed was useful for cutting through. Great for bringing the guitar "up front". When I turned it off the guitar sank back and almost "disappeared" in the mix. Playing that setting without the band sounds way too middy of course, but as said, very very useful with the band being able to switch it on and off. I like it :)

Numerous other use cases and settings to test, but at least one good use is now checked!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Jethro Rocker and Kutt like this.
  5. oldmanrockin

oldmanrockin Member

When those that do use it in the loop, do you still use other pedals in the loop also? If so, where in the chain does the eq go? I am using the boss noise suppresor 4 cable method, i wonder if it will still work? Guess i should try it.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I've never owned or used a Boss pedal, but I imagine the GE7 is a good fit. I use an old Ibanez 10 Series EQ pedal in my DSL40CR's loop. The Ibby has the same frequencies as the Boss. It works perfectly.

7. mickeydg5

I have/had a whole damn rack in my loop, just in case I wanted to use it. :)

8. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Whelp. I ordered up the latest MXR 10 band today to toy with. I'll also grab some $2 sunglasses at the dollar store to handle the blinding blue LEDS and be off to the races.

9. mickeydg5

Nice EQ.

Kutt likes this.
  10. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

in my experience, if your not running a EQ in your loop then you
    only know a small bit about what tones you have at your disposal.

11. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

It's a fair point, and I understand your thinking, but what if an amp with the right combination of features and voicing does not exist?

An EQ in the loop is just giving you a more powerful, and more precise version of the tone controls on your front panel!

12. xeizo

xeizo Member

Not to mention how to fit in a band mix, what sounds good by itself can be the wrong sound with the band. Also the possibility to quickly switch between different sounds, for different songs or different parts of songs. To just have one base sound that fits all is to lock oneself in.

13. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

I tried it a few times into the input and was like: "eh" Then I put it in the loop and was like: "schwing!" I don't notice subtle sound differences.. it hit me over the head. Noticeable. Useful.

I use the Sniper Mod Boss EQ7 on my Mesa Lonestar. Don't need it on the Marshall.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Kutt likes this.
  14. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Tried the boss ge-7 and mxr 6 band but found they sounded a bit solid statey in the loop for lack of a better term so I use an ep boost from xotic! It gives an eq change which is very pleasant to your tone and as much volume boost as you want.

15. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

16. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

Reading this thread and another one like it prompted me to go out and buy a new mxr 108s today. I tried it in the store on an amp that I hated and it did improve the sound. I'll know more tomorrow after I test it and use it at band practice. I will be putting it in the loop along with several other pedals including a sonic maximizer which has always improved my tone. I saw that someone else was asking about them earlier. I have high hopes for this. My tone is already amazing but I can't stop experimenting.

Kutt likes this.
  17. MAD 69

MAD 69 New Member

I have a 1w Dsl head, 20w Dsl head and the 5w Dsl combo - i run the Kerry King mxr 10 band EQ thru the loop, sounds awesome.

Kutt likes this.
  18. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Maxon/Ibanez PQ9 Parametric EQ into a Boss RV-6 Reverb, in the loop of my Gurus 1959 Double Decker preamp :) [​IMG]

Kutt likes this.
  19. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

MXR 10 band is the most valuable pedal ever. In the loop it can tweak almost any amp to exactly what you want to hear. With only some slight tweaks you’d be VERY surprised how much better any amp can sound.

Kutt likes this.
  20. Russ Rocket

Russ Rocket New Member

I tried out my new
    mxr 108s today and then used it at band practice. It was a game changer. I ran it second in the loop, after my sonic maximizer and before my tc sentry gate. I didn't think anything could improve my already magnificent tone that I had worked on for decades to achieve but this put my guitar up front in the mix with a new level of clarity.

Kutt likes this.