Anyone running a Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Gaz Baker, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Active Member

Just wondering if anyone has a Boss W.T.A.E., and what are your thoughts, tips, tricks, pros and cons.

I have one on the way to go with my JCM800sc, and liked the fact it can attenuate, or amplify using it's built in 100 watt power amp, among other features.

Makes it an interesting prospect

J Saw, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. rallye440

rallye440 New Member

I have one that I bought just some time ago. Currently it's mated with my DIY Friedman clone amp. It's connected directly into my computer and I can play through my studio monitors or headphones no cab connected. I have not much experience with it yet but overall I'm really pleased how it sounds and it's really nice to be able to add some build in reverb and delay it offers.

I have loaded couple of IR's and while it takes surprisingly long time to do that I think IR's are the way to go. The build in cabs are ok but I do like IR's more. The IR loading just could be better and quicker. Also amp channel switching for a multi channel amp would be a nice feature too. Now it has a capability to switch only two channels via a relay. Of course there is the midi if your amp supports that option.

Now I just regret selling my '79 JMP 50W four holer. Would have been nice to play it cranked through this box. Well...perhaps I build a JMP clone one day.
    20191211_142341.jpg

3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Been using one since they came out. Incredible piece of gear, game changing for anyone who uses tube amps live.

Fits perfectly into the Line 6 Helix padded backpack too! I found it a bit annoying that a $1200 box made for live use has no protective case.

4. tallcoolone

RJM Mini Amp Gizmo is a must have tool. Allows to to MIDI control anything your amp can control with its foot switch. Not sure how the TAE could possibly do what you are asking above—it’s not like there is any accepted i/o protocol from one amp manufacturer to the next?

Gaz Baker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Active Member

I have a single channel basic amp so don't need to use midi control for that.

6. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

+1. It's BADASS and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it will do.

jchrisf and Gaz Baker like this.
  7. tallcoolone

Understood, I was replying to @rallye440 on his request that the TAE have some sort of more elaborate external switching capabilities. I just don’t see where that would be feasible. Or even possible.

Gaz Baker likes this.
  8. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Active Member

Yeah, sorry bro. I'm running on "E" in the sleep department.

Can't wait to get stuck into using it. I'm eagerly awaiting my call to pick it up when it gets here.

I'm particularly keen on the recording capabilities, and built in effects, and effects loop.:cool:

tce63 likes this.
  9. rallye440

rallye440 New Member

IMO just programmable relays and two TRS control out jacks just like in my good old TC G-System would be nice for different rigs. This way it would work with most channel switchers W/O midi but of course there are external device capable doing this.

10. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Yup. Make sure you explore the Editor software too. Lots and lots of possibilities. I've had it for a few months and I'm still wrapping my head around what it can do. If you haven't already, comb through the manual to hit the ground running when you get it.

I haven't used mine for recording, but I do use it for attenuating larger amps / scaling up smaller watt amps, the FX loop, the onboard delay and reverb, and amp switching for my JCM 2000's. I also got the GA-FC footswitch and EV-30 expression pedal (for volume control) to go with it.

Congratulations on your new toy!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Gaz Baker likes this.
  11. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Active Member

Thanks.
    That's sound advice, well received.

I ordered the footswitch too. I figure that hands free is always a benefit

walshb and Kutt like this.