anyone prefer marshall to the many offshoots ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Buzzard, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 79 2203

79 2203 Active Member

Yeah I started seeing bands and getting into guitar in the late 70's / early 80's and the 2203 /4 is the sound of my youth. Seeing bands in small Aussie pubs in that era had a bigger influence on my amp taste than listening to my fave recording artists, who mostly used NMV Marshalls(Blackmore, ACDC, Cold Chisel, VH, Zep, Lizzy etc)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I just believe that nothing is as classic as the classic that started it all. It's the Marshall JTM45, and the 1959, and the 1987, and some other models that defined the sound of rock and roll and to get THAT sound you have to go to the original source. While there are many newer amps that try to match that sound and go beyond it, at the end of the day they're copies and thus they lack that cachet and mystique that only an original Marshall can have.

I'm not at all opposed to buying those other amps. In fact there are some I intend to buy. But my 2203 and my 1959 are the classic originals that I want and don't want to get rid of. They can't be replaced by anything else.

If I wanted a Vox tone, I'd get a Vox, not a copy. If I want a Fender tone, I get a Fender, not a Music Man. So my Marshalls aren't going anywhere, though they may be joined by other amps that are inspired by Marshall designs.

3. Rocky Mountain Way

Rocky Mountain Way New Member

I played an orange Amp with a treble booster for years, then got a Ceriatone Yeti which was good but the guy I bought it from wanted it back so I sold it to him and got a Marshall 2203 three years ago and I couldn't be happier.

My heroes played SG or Les Paul through 2203 or super lead, I tried for years to stay away from what I thought were clich├ęs but this combination is the tone in my head and the one I associate with all the great songs l heard very young. Same thing with pickups, cabs, pedals...

4. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Back in the day it was Marshall. Or Fender. Or possibly Vox. Then all the booteek stuff came out and I thought because it was much more expensive it had to be better. Tried lots of them hoping to hear the holy grail and here I am with 2 Marshalls. Not because I'm cheap (although I am) but because I haven't heard anything that makes the extra expense worthwhile. If my Marshalls can't get a certain sound well I don't want it.

5. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of players prefer the Kerrang of a hot-rodded Plexi than the hot-rodded 800...

Disclaimer: I haven't played a rodded 800 so I cant really comment on it...

6. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

True there are a lot of different mods that can produce different results. My point was that the circuits are so similar that the same results could be obtained with either a Plexi or an 800.

Mitchell Pearrow and 79 2203 like this.
  7. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

My Runt did not last long, ...noticed sounded great playing by itself...took it to studio for a song..so glad i had brought DSL along at the last minute. Brought it home put it back in the box.

8. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I prefer to get the real deal when possible but the fact is there are a lot of quality Marshall clone builders out there. I just got a hold of a Kemper profile of a Cameron Evil Pumpkin. It is basically like Cameron's take on the modded Marshall and Jose type designs. I can definitely see why people like that stuff.

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  9. RCM 800

RCM 800 New Member

Seems like the older I get the further back I go in the guitar tones I prefer. In the 80's and 90's I wanted to be Heavier than Hetfield was in the 80's. After many years of trying and changing tastes I gave it up as futile lol. Started playing in classic rock cover bands in the 00's and it opened up a lot of music for me. I sold my mesa rig as it really didnt suit the style of music we were playing and went thru a whole bunch of amps (fender, carvin, rivera, crate, peavy, orange) before I got my TSL100. Still have it though its pretty much mothballed. Around 2010 I started building guitar pedals and then moved on to amp kits. I built a Mojo 2204 clone and that was my main amp up until last January when I got a Origin 20h. Was wanting an amp that sounded better at lower volumes but was still gigable and the 20 nails it for me. Anyways I guess the answer is "yes" I prefer Marshall to the many offshoots. Especially with the new Vietnam ones being so affordable they offer a terrific value for the tone you get.