Anyone Feel A Boss Ds1 Is A Good Enough Boost For A Plexi Clone?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Yamariv, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Blues'n'Booze

Blues'n'Booze New Member

I can only speak very highly of the Fulltone OCD, personally of course, and do be aware there are many versions of it over the years from Fulltone. A great boost with additional gain on tap for fattening without getting harsh, low noise threshold on mine, it’s the one Fulltone refer to as V2 and can run either 9v or 18v. A guy on YouTube has done a comparison of the versions.
    As others have said about the Boss, this is also a pedal you’d see your money back on . . . BUT I reckon it’d become a keeper. eBay/Reverb/etc have plenty of choice

2. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

Pretty cool to hear that you have P-90 LPJr. My favorite guitars at the moment are LPJr (single P-90) & a Les Paul with P-90's.

I just got my DS-1 in the mail yesterday. I kept the tone low and played with the distortion knob, level at middle. I was happy to hear the results. It fit what I was looking for at low volume (<70 dB). For $20, great pedal!

3. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Would you say the Fulltone V2 is capable of a modern type tight distortion? I like the idea of the low noise but don't have the cash to pick one up brand new right now.

The guy who has a used SD1 is about 1.5hrs round trip so I didn't bother to buy it from him today. For an extra $40 ish, I think I'm just gonna go to the music store tomorrow and pick up a brand new one :dude:

4. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Awesome to hear the DS1 sounds like what you were hoping! Yeah, I love my P90 Junior.. to my Surprise it actually pushes my amp alot more than my Standard's humbuckers.

5. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Update for you guys!!.. I went out and bought a brand new SD-1 to compare with my DS-1. To my surprise, I found I preferred the trusty old DS-1 distortion sound over the more Boost like sound of the SD-1( I know, the names get me confused all the time now).

I found the SD-1 to be more of a Tube Screamer type distortion and didn't really tighten things up as modern as I was hoping it would. Also, to get the SD-1 to really distort, I had to crank the gain and the pedal started to get real noisy which doesn't work for me. So the old cheap, tried and true DS-1 still sounds awesome to my ears through my plexi clone! Keeping the gain nice and low (9-10 o'clock) tightens up an already crunchy amp into modern high gain territory like I was looking for! :dude:

Thanks for all the help guys! :cheers:

6. SpHj

SpHj Well-Known Member

Your ears work best for you. If it sounds good, then it sounds good!

7. BftGibson

BftGibson Active Member

This is where i got stuck and in the end. Using a DSL40cr with no pedals. have a hand wired jmp50 with trainwreck 3 MV and it is a great amp but..for slightly more modern its just not there for me but the DSL on Ultra with gain on 3 has been what i was looking for. So a plexi sits and watches and all the pedals are gone, To studio and stage a DSl and tuner has been so nice. I love the plexi but its all in the DSL classic channel. thats me tho, boosting plexi's i fun. I just have to play more than fiddle and the DSL has really surprised me.

8. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Totally see what you mean BftGibson, only thing is with my set up is I find the DSL's don't quite have that dynamic note definition on the crunchy settings as the JTM does. As the JTM is my #1 in my living room at home, I was hoping that I could kind of bring a DSL Red channel distortion to the JTM with a pedal for songs that require it while still having that awesome dynamic crunch I love about the JTM when I click the pedal off.

My DSL's sound awesome but for me they are more for playing out and practices. Of course I'm splitting hairs with the sounds and am lucky to have all the amps I own..Happy to hear the DSL40 Cr is sounding soo good, I have yet to play one and compare it with my DSL40C..

9. BftGibson

BftGibson Active Member

Very True, good info you mentioned ! my jmp50 is insanely crisp and clear. I think i was coming from the perspective of going from the song writing at home to studio to stage. Going live all the settings and saved notes for each song kinda went out the window. I think playing alone i get so finicky only the JMP fills the tone in my head chase. Going live i found the DSL to cover all my needs with a few settings. Is it like the recordings..almost but live it just became consistent. I wish the laney irt60would have the DSL tone cause it has a MV that goes progressive from 1 watt to 60 and retains tone from low to high vol, but just doesnt quite do the Marshall thing. I feel very fortunate the DSL worked like this for me. I was going crazy , this pedal for this song, this pedal for this lead. i sorta went old school with DSL even tho its mostly pre amp shape..been riding the vol & tone knobs alot. Not quite as effective on the DSL as a plexi but passable.

10. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

Well said my friend! Dropping as many pedals as you can and using the volume and tone opens up a whole new great sounding world!

11. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

There's a heck of a lot better distortion pedals on the market in 2018 than having to resort to using a DS-1.

12. Delete!!

Delete!! Member

This is certainly true, but sometimes I think a Boss SD-1 or DS-1 actually work better as boosters than some more expensive “full frequency range” pedals, which can make the tone more bloated or muddy sounding (especially if you are using them to boost a dirty amp or stack with other dirt boxes).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM
  13. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Active Member

Lots of guys use DS-1’s into breaking up amps. I have a A.M. DS1, and it sounds stellar as an overdrive.

14. Yamariv

Yamariv Active Member

After hearing mine into a breaking up Plexi it does sound stellar.. figured I'm not the only one :dude:

15. DonP

DonP Member

I have a ~2013 DS-1. I only bought it to get financing on a mint red Charvel Model 6 at GC. It sat new in the box until a couple of months ago when I finally decided to start playing with pedals (been guitar -> amp since 1985). I've bought a flood of pedals recently. If I don't mention when I bought it, it is in the past few months.

Not surprising I'm not too fond of the 2013 DS-1. I like a SD-1 I bought recently (back sticker missing), love my old TS-10 I bought in the late 80's, and also like more than the SD-1 the DOD Gunslinger I bought new (very similar to SD-1 and TS pedals).

For distortion only pedals I love the ML-2 into the clean DSL100 for thrash metal, like the MT-2 (bought in the late 90s? - 2000s?, a little raspy / buzzy), and so-so on an HM-3 that I thought I liked, but now not so sure.

I am not sure if I should mod my DS-1 and MT-2, or just sell and buy new ones. I'd likely try a Waza MT-2, and maybe a black box DS-1, or try to find an older MIJ one. I guess it depends on if I find a good deal on one of these, or if I get off my ass and break out the soldering iron LOL!