Anyone Ever?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MarshallDog, Jan 7, 2020.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Brother MFr's...

I have been having thoughts rip through my mind lately about quitting playing guitar, just stopping, yup! I'll sell everything off and be done.

Why, I am getting sick of:

1. Thinking I am an OK player and not really.
    2. Spending so much time practicing.
    3. Spending so much time tweaking, repairing modding my gear.
    4. Dealing with ALL those players that want to be in a band, be a rocker, musician, etc BUT can only rehearse once every 4-5 weeks...really.
    5. Being the one trying to schedule rehearsals.
    6. The waste of money and time I have invested when I could put that towards something else...drinking, drugs, roids, working out even more!!!
    7. I'm never gonna be good and will never play out even for free because of the band mate rehearsal issues.
    8. My wife wants to sink 60K into our basement to finish it off, make me a new office and have a semi-insulated rehearsal practice area...really 60K...just another reason to stop...its not worth it IMO. I love my office and basement as is...a waste of money.
    9. I have not practiced/played in 3 days, don't feel like it tonight...the guitar is becoming symbol of resentment, irritation and frustration making me question wtf am I doing?
    10. 1 - 9 again.

Help?

2. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    It
    will
    pass...

Trust me, bro.

:hippie::pirate::uk:

3. MarshallDog

So I shouldn't start selling gear off??

4. Travis398

Travis398 Member

Thats exactly how I feel when I see the 8 year old prodigy girl guitarist on youtube.

5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

ive been thinking the same thing lately DM.

6. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

i’m on my third guitar/amp collection:

80’s-90’s - vintage gear
    2000’s-2010 - asian les pauls
    current - little bit of everything

each time i tell myself i am quitting for good, but it keeps pulling me back. i’m sure this is just a phase that you will work out.

7. MarshallDog

I hope so Bro, I hope so, just no too happy right now!

8. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I understand your frustrations with being in a band. Its hard to find dedicated people to get a band started. Then when you do get it going, it's hard to keep it going. My advice would be to just take a break. Back in 2010 the band that I was in folded. I had been in bands off and on since 1996. When that happened I put my guitars up, took a break and didn't get them out for a good 5 or 6 months.

When I did decide to get them back out I focused on what made me want to play in the first place, which was to just play for myself. So that's what I did. I always wanted a Marshall, so I bought a Class 5 (which led me to this place) and just started learning songs that I wanted to play. Suddenly my love for the instrument was back. I really had no intention of ever being in a band again, but then after about 2 years the opportunity to form a band again fell into my lap. Now 8 years later things are becoming stale again. We're talking about this being the final year for the band. Once it's done I will probably do what I did before, which is take a break, and then go back to just playing for myself.

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

ALWAYS play guitar...................even noodling.

Practice for solo gigs...........even if you don't do solo gigs.

I do solo gigs and the best/worst thing is playing by yourself.................you can do anything.

In a solo gig, I play segues................The Batman theme; Ode To Joy; Peter Gun; James Bond Theme............fool around.

I do Motown tunes...............at least parts of them............Soul Man; When A Man Loves A Woman; People Get Ready..............string songs together.

Fool with tunes by The Eagles; The Beatles; Steve Miller; Sly & The Family Stone.............

I'm going to learn The Addams Family Theme; Gilligan's Island Theme; Pink Panther and Get Smart.

Fool around with TV show themes.

At a solo gig, I was complimented on Rebel, Rebel................."that's the first time I ever heard Bowie played on acoustic guitar".

Hey, I did Summer Breeze by Seals & Crofts..............listeners love the opening riff.

I did "Here Comes The Sun" at a church wedding when the grandparents walked down the isle.

When the couple got hitched, I did The Canon (in D major) and segued Elton John's "Your Song".

DON'T GIVE UP.

10. MarshallDog

Really?

What is supposed to be fun gets the phucking life sucked out of it. I am not saying we have to gig once a week or rehearse every week, maybe rehearse twice a month, just so we are having fun and getting better and having fun, is that too much to ask?? Phuck a rehearsal once every 4-5 weeks...you are just suffering a slow drowning...man, it pisses me off :mad: gets me down, makes me think what am I doing!?

And yes, I do not care to do the solo coffee phucking house acoustic crap...once you experience the real deal the solo acoustic coffee house crap is shat IMO?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  11. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

With me,.. I have no expectations. Somedays I play and somedays I don’t. I just try to keep it fun. I never try to keep up with the Jones type of thing,but beer and drugs are cool too.

12. MarshallDog

Wow great story Bro, I appreciate it! maybe that is what I should do. I just feel all my hard work of learning songs, the money and the time are for what...I would like to show it to others that might enjoy it maybe not whatever. Like they say, when it rains it pours!

13. MarshallDog

Beer and drugs were a joke so to speak but the roids, eating and continuing my focus on pumping wts was not. I guess as I type this, I realize there is something to be said for individual sports, activities and hobbies...you dont have to rely on anyone else its all you!

14. MarshallDog

This Christmas I did 14 acoustic songs mostly Christmas tunes and added a few other songs for about 12 people at my relatives house they all loved it but its just so fun playing with others when it happens...eeerrr!

15. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

I’m joking about the beer and drugs as well. I know what you’re getting at. I view my guitar playing as kinda of a personal sport. I don’t really compete with anyone. I set my personal goals and just go from there. I keep it non stressful.

16. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sell off unless you absolutely needed to, there always regrets in that, at least here. Step away from it for awhile til it passes. I put it all away in the mid to late 80s for 3 or 4 years. I'm not in or planning to be in any band. I play because I enjoy it. If I don't feel like playing I don't no big deal.

17. MarshallDog

Maybe I need to tell everyone to F off and forage on by myself and just practice as I feel and not push it too hard because why, why push it, why, its not my pay check!

18. MarshallDog

When you say put it away, I believe you mean put the guitars in their cases? Are the amps OK to be not played in 3-5 years also?

19. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

No problem.

Oh, I definitely get it. There's nothing like playing out for people, and there's nothing like the camaraderie of being in a band. I know when my current band folds I'll miss it.

I read your other post about not being able to practice regularly. My band hasn't practiced in a year. Luckily we all know our set list like the back of our hand and we can just show up, do the show, and be fine. But it makes adding new songs and writing new originals next to impossible.

20. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

In that period I only had the twin and yes, it stayed off. It fired up without issues the years later. I've since replaced filter caps. Now, even if I don't play, I warm up all the amps at least once a month to keep them healthy. More fun though to light up the wall and let it rip .. ;)