Anyone Ever Install A Clutch In A Front Wheel Drive Car?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by flyinguitars, Mar 28, 2018.

1. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Lol...yea took a cutoff wheel to those little assholes.

2. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I had a 96' Suburban that the exhaust manifold gaskets were leaking. I could have done them myself, as they are only two bolts per side to take off, but the damn things didn't budge. I had a local shop put them on, and his estimate for doing the work, "$50 if they come undone, $800 if I have to replace the manifold." LOL

3. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Finished it up yesterday morning, did an oil change (went with synthetic), new wipers, washed, waxed, and vacuumed. It feels like a new car.

The new clutch is like butter and has one of the lightest throws that I’ve ever felt. Also i did some research on the trans fluid and this car uses a gm fluid that has no official aftermarket equivalent (and costs about $45 a quart). The car gets 50+ mpg and from what I’ve read, gm switched to this unique trans fluid in an effort to increase mpg for that model year (along with several other small tweaks as compared to the prior year model).....so, i found that the stock trans fluid is equivalent to 5w30 viscosity and heard that a lot of owners have been using Amsoil synchromesh 5w30 trans fluid, so i decided to try it.

It’s like a completely different transmission. The shifts are so smooth that i can literally flick the stick into the direction of the next gear and it glides right in. I never knew that a trans fluid could make such a difference in feel and performance.

Anyway, that’s it....project done. Thanks for all of the help i really appreciate it and used a lot of the info from the comments in this thread. You guys made some good points and got me headed in the right direction

Ghostman and el_bastardo like this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

You are spot on about trans fluid and shift performance. I noticed the same with my bike,if i used Yamalube 10w40 the thing shifts hard but if i run Mobil 1 10w40 it shifts super smooth.

5. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Well done man! That's great that you knocked it out yourself.