Anyone Else On A Weight Loss/fitness Trip Since New Year?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Adieu, Feb 11, 2019.

1. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

You just like trolling..Read the book! :lol:

They might have eaten bugs, lizards, and whatnot to stay alive when hunting was bad back in the day, but only when they couldn't bag something better.

And as far as healthy vegans go, they might appear healthy at the moment but down the road they may wind up with one of the many disorders and health issues that just didn't exist back in the day..As for myself I've never seen many healthy vegans or at least healthy-looking ones, they look either bloated and overweight or look half-starved.

An archeologist can look at two different skeletons from two different eras and tell without testing if they came from hunter-gatherer days or post agricultural times. the agri era skeletons will have weaker bone, and missing teeth, whereas the Paleo guy will have better bone structure and all their teeth intact.

Like I already said it's a free country..If one want to eat weeds and soy crap go for it..Oh and by the way, I sometimes eat seaweed myself, it's not bad eating when prepared the right way.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    MarshallDog and Wooferhead1 like this.
  2. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Read something other than the book to learn what paleo people really ate.
    Like I said, the diet is fine but the name is a misnomer.
    Do you really think ancient humans ate only lean meats? Hunter/gatherers are not the wasteful type. I’m sure they ate lots of fatty meats too.

I’ve know healthy vegans. Done properly it’s no big deal. But whatever. Keep trolling! ;)

DaDoc and Wooferhead1 like this.
  3. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Ok so out of curiosity I read some exerps of The Paleo Solution, now I'm interested...seems like besides pizza and beer I have always had an appetite for fresh veggies, chicken and fish. I just have to eliminate my bread and cheese addictions. Thanks for some informative reading...I think I can moderate some of the extra fatty foods out of my eating routines. As Fred Flintstone once said "Yabbadabbadoo":scream: it's freakin Friday !:cheers: Cheers you MFers

Mitchell Pearrow, DaDoc and mcblink like this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Yeah bread's bad

I've always wondered about cheese, though...somehow, normal cheese in any appreciable quantity messes with my digestion, but microwaved/baked/fried cheese doesn't

Is it bacteria or whatever that makes cheese what it is dying off from getting nuked?

5. Wooferhead1

Adieu, you made me curious, sure enough, I found it mentioned on the net, that certain cheeses do, mozzarella,gouda, cheddar, cottage cheese...so yep you're right about nuking them dead...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Well I'm pretty sure that any "true" cheese is a product that utilizes bacteria for its creation...

7. Wooferhead1

I must be part bacteria...love cheese...all cheese

Lo-Tek likes this.
  8. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

So I'm the troll because I posted a comment about a diet that has done me a great deal of good, both physically and medically, and felt compelled to recommend it to others in the hope it might help them as well? Yeah right, whatever..:lol:

Yeah, I've known vegans as well, since I've always been a bit of a hippie. But every single one I've known weren't particularly healthy..They tended to have low energy levels, stayed depressed a lot, had stomach and intestinal troubles, LOTS of excess gas, pale complexions and hollow eyes, and were either bloated and overweight or somewhat resembled a survivor of the death camps..But it was never their diets that made them that way, at least not according to them..It was always something else causing their problems, usually in the form of somehow having had some sort of meat based by-product slipped into their veggies..:scratch:

And for the record, every one of them eventually gave up vegan. My oldest Stepdaughter was one of them, she was indoctrinated into the vegan lifestyle while in college. For a few years we had to accommodate her B.S. lifestyle and have vegan substitutes handy whenever we had family get-togethers and cookouts..But eventually she figured out for herself veganism wasn't all it was cracked up to be and gave it up, and also started shaving her legs and pits again! :lol:

And contrary to what your perception of my knowledge of the paleo diet seems to be, many years before I read the book I already knew a good deal about "what paleo people really ate" as I've had an lifelong interest in history. Particularly in the field of anthropology, prehistoric and native American cultures. Weapons, clothing, hunting techniques, all aspects of day to day life for a hunter-gatherer. Including diet. I am also active in history reenactment, and sometimes do demonstrations for the public on various aspects of life "back in the day". Great fun and a great hobby, along with learning and teaching skills that are all but lost in the modern era! :D

It was my previous knowledge of prehistoric diets that initially led me to doing Paleo. I figured it had to be a good thing, since the hunter-gatherers were some of the healthiest people who have ever lived. The only downside of the diet is it means cooking "from scratch" rather than simply tossing something in the microwave. So it's a bit of a hassle for the cooking along with the cleanup afterwards. But then so is vegan cooking for that matter..:rolleyes:

Yes, the hunter-gatherers ate a variety of wild veggies, berries, seeds and nuts, along with fruit when they could get it in addition to lean meats, and yes they ate fatty meats as well, along with a lot of internal organ meats. Those were a good source of the same vitamins that exist in fruits, and fruits being seasonal weren't always available, or as in some regions nonexistent. (Thank goodness we are lucky enough to be able to enjoy fruits all year long these days as I hate liver!) Pemmican, a staple in Native American diets was made from dried meat and berries, with fat used as a binder. I've made it myself, and it's actually pretty good grub..Sort of a kind of primitive "power bar" kinda thing!

But again, whatever. Now if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way.. :hippie:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Wooferhead1 like this.
  9. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

"diet" is overrated... Proper nutrition is what we need....

Humans are omnivores. We can both process meats, nuts, fruits and vegetables altogether....

DaDoc, Derek S and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Gimme a steak and I'll be happy...

oh, and an ale to go with it. :yesway:

diet is overrated...

Mitchell Pearrow and EndGame00 like this.
  11. EndGame00

Most of the vegans I met look very lethargic... What really annoys me when I see young parents force feeding their children to a vegan diet, thus depriving them the nutrients they need for growth and development....

DaDoc and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I have not first hand wittinesed this but I feel that they (the young ones who can’t speak for them self’s yet) should not have to be stuck on something that is not in my original upbringing! But that’s my 2 cents, they should be able to choose as they wish, I know one sided post here!

DaDoc likes this.
  13. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Me too. I won’t be giving up dairy anytime soon.

Really? What about parents that stuff their kids with fast food, junk food and sugary foods? Look at all the fatties we have in our country. Talk about unhealthy decisions.

Personally I figure it’s really none of my business what others eat though.

Mitchell Pearrow and Wooferhead1 like this.
  14. EndGame00

You are SO missing the point I was making, but then again, you live in a utopian bubble... You counter argument is always off the mark.... Carry on....

15. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ummm dude...you really need to read the book like so many of us have said. In this book, they never state cave people only ate lean meats. They do actually say they ate all the meats including fatty meats from their kills and they explain scientify why that was OK back then. Seriously, a friendly suggestion, read it before commenting further.

16. EndGame00

Yeah, since early humans could not afford to be wasteful with that they hunted or scaveged.. Many people seems to forget liver and other internal organs pack the most nutrients in animal parts..

Liver, hearts and onions... Yumm.

DaDoc and MarshallDog like this.
  17. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Utopian bubble. Lol.
    That’s lame.

Dude, you already agreed with me it’s dumb name for the diet!

18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agreed it is a dumb name yes, but they state animal fat and the whole animal was eaten.

Mitchell Pearrow and Lo-Tek like this.
  19. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

If I had more free time I actually wouldn't mind reading the book. I don't think it's a diet I could strictly adhere to though. I wouldn't drop dairy unless I absolutely needed to. It's too good. They say a potential negative of the paleo diet can be low D/Calcium levels.

Another thing about the paleo diet that people overlook is the fact that basically all modern vegetables were developed during the neolithic period originally. Paleo vegetables were evidently pretty nasty things. Most of those old wild species are long gone.

20. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I could never totally drop dairy either...(I'm from WI, I'd be banned :lol:, really, I just enjoy cheese from time to time, especially on a nice extra thin crust pizza).