Anyone Else On A Weight Loss/fitness Trip Since New Year?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Adieu, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Ah I see Labatts and Kokanee are related...I haven't had a Red Hook and I like ales...mmm I think I've seen them at a local liquor store. Ever tried Belgium Chimay Trappist Ale? Made in a monastery by drunk monks, very smooth, it's too expensive for daily consumption...

mcblink likes this.
  2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I tried some sort of Belgium Monk ale but it was more like fizzy wine. Not what I was after. A nice dark craft beer...mmm...

Wooferhead1 and Adieu like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I got a mixed box of Harpoon, they make a bunch of different beers that are all consistently good. :yesway:

Jethro Rocker and Wooferhead1 like this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Schwarzbier, Lezhak, or at least a decent Black & Tan for me

Although personally I'm taking a couple months off from alcohol

5. Wooferhead1

Of course now I gotta do some "field research" on "all" those, this may take up the rest of the winter...hmmmm I think I found my new winter hobby. :hmm:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Wooferhead1

I refer to it as "liquid bread" :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  7. pedecamp

Its my carbs! :yesway:

...on the weekend that is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Wooferhead1 and MarshallDog like this.
  8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

A Dr. in Means Health magazine awhile ago wrote that if you are going to drink beer (which he states beer is not all that bad for you in moderation) try to drink craft beers as they have more nutritional value, less sugars and preservatives, etc and try to drink heavily hopped beers such as IPAs because hops is the number one all natural anti-oxidant out there could for many things.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  9. Williamwolnka

Williamwolnka Member

I got rid of my xtra weight already. Now I’m on a maintenance program. Can’t wait to hit the sandbar this summer.

Derek S, EndGame00 and MarshallDog like this.
  10. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

We have a bar locally called The Sandbar.

Usually only open during the summer, when traffic is high.

I can't wait to hit it either.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yup, I have.

Actually it's been an ongoing thing, I went on the paleo diet around this time two years ago. In the first two months I lost about 35 lbs, and went from a tight size 42 Levis back to a comfortable fitting 38! I was 243 at the time and gaining an average of 10+ lbs a year, had really high blood pressure and was also pre-diabetic. After I dropped the weight I had the doctor check me out and I was not only no longer pre-diabetic but was able to go from 40 mg of blood pressure meds to 10 mg. I feel SO much better than I did before and when I look at pics of my bloated fat ass from then, I both cringe and find it hard to believe I had let myself get in such bad shape..:shock:

The worst thing for me is beer and ale. I LOVE Blue Moon ale, along with other brews. And it don't help with all the great microbrews that's around nowadays. BUT, the cool thing is on the Paleo diet one can drink Tequila! And fortunately I like the stuff.

I kind of fell off the beer-free wagon last fall a bit, and then during the holidays I over-indulged in a lot of sweets and crap as well. So I gained back around 8-10 lbs. Damn! :facepalm:

So I've doubled down on the 'ol diet, and been exercising a bit too. I've already lost what I gained back, and I'm going for losing about 20 more lbs with my target weight being around 190 +/-. The good thing is that with paleo, one can pretty much eat all the yummy grub they want as long as it's the right kind of food. The down side is that if ya like stuff like beer, whisky, dairy, cookies and pie, it's a no-no. And if you're into vegan, you're screwed as the paleo diet requires eating meat..A vegan diet is actually one of the worst diets in existance, as one has to get protein from stuff like beans and soy, which in reality is a bad source of nutrients, a bummer for me as I love beans, although as far as I'm concerned soy has always sucked! :lol:

And I know there's people who will flame me for having such a point of view on vegan..To them I say it's a free country, do as thou wilt.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to check out paleo to read "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolfe. It's a great book on paleo, as it goes into not only the history and philosophy behind the diet, but goes into great detail on how various kinds of food, both good and bad, is broken down and digested when we eat it. It's also a entertaining and humorous read without a lot of boring stats and clinical gobbledygook.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  12. pedecamp

I liked the part where you said "try to drink heavily". :applause:

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  13. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Blue Moon is delicious. One of my faves by far.

14. MarshallDog

I agree the Paleo Diet is the best and really should not be called a diet because its based around eating what the human body was designed to eat, doesn't have the traditional "diet" meaning. I have the book and have read it a few times. I eat this way as a standard except for beer and a few treats every now and then, I do not like dairy except for some cheese and dont care for sweets. I also agree that the vegan diet is ridiculous at best. I know a few people on it and the shit they eat amazes me not too mention they are all over wt and dont look healthy at all. I've always said if humans were meant to eat only grass and veggies we would not be equipped with with incisor and canine teeth we would have teeth like cows and horses having only molar teeth.

15. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I don’t know how relevant human teeth are as regards a vegan diet. Certainly our teeth look nothing like carnivore teeth (eg cats and dogs have much different teeth than us).
    The paleo diet is just marketing. Back then humans ate whatever they could and diet was dependent on what was available. It’s also not clear people were healthy back then.
    I could never be vegan but it seemed to be okay for people like Carl Lewis and Venus Williams.

Wooferhead1 likes this.
  16. MarshallDog

You are completely wrong, its obvious you never read the Paleao diet book. Its actually more popular now 15 years or so after it was written by scientist NOT diet marketing bimbos because it works. Humans have both meet eating and plant eating teeth, not exactly like dog or cats (Oh Really) but similar...we would not have both if we were not meant to eat both. There is a website where people that have followed the Paleo diet and have talked about their diseases and all the Drs that could not cure them. They followed this and are fine now. And you want to disagree with this. Go try it yourself, you will fee better look better and have a better mind set. The pure 100% science behind this book is amazing.

If the two people you mentioned (out of millions of Vegans) looked good imagine how much better they could have looked with lean all natural protein and all natural fat not influenced buy mans chemicals.

If you read this book you would know what people ate back then. When you state healthy, they were very healthy but died earlier because of other issues, NOT issues related to diet.

Go get the book, read it, study it, think about it and then comment...please!

DaDoc and Wooferhead1 like this.
  17. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against the actual diet. My diet is actually quite similar. The name is stupid though. Ancient humans ate all kinds of stuff. A real paleo diet would include things like sea weed and bugs. It's a good diet though if for no other reason than it moves people away from the modified/processed foods that are the norm.
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a vegan diet. The problem is people implement special diets incorrectly. I just picked two vegans randomly. There are plenty of healthy vegans and vegetarians; that's a fact.

MarshallDog and DaDoc like this.
  18. MarshallDog

I agree I dont like the name either, sounds like another trendy diet which its not. They even discuss why all these fad marketing diets fail and what they are doing to your internals. I am sure there are healthy vegans out there my point is the percentage is probably ery low. One other thing, the Paleo Diet talks a out lean protiens and veggies basically no man made processed nutrient. Oid food. If one wants to eat insects bugs and seaweed that would be fine. Seaweed is a great natural (depending) nutrient dense food and my understanding is most insects and bugs are a great low fat all natural protien source also.

Lo-Tek and DaDoc like this.
  19. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Great mentality. Once you've reached a certain level of fitness/conditioning, it's merely about keeping yourself tuned up, daily maintenance...and it's super easy.

stringtree and MarshallDog like this.
  20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I think the name is kinda cool..:cool:

But then I tend to be a bit caveman-like, and I like saying "Paleo"..:naughty:

And no, it's not a diet in the sense of trendy fad weight loss programs..But no matter what we choose to eat, it's our "diet", for better or worse..One could eat every day at Mcdonalds and it would be their diet, albeit a junk-food one..the best thing about Paleo is that one has to cook real food from scratch, rather than eating processed sh*t.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019