Anyone Else On A Weight Loss/fitness Trip Since New Year?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Adieu, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Exactly which allowed the muscle to show and my waist was smaller so I guess I looked bigger, it was fun getting down to that % but a pain in the butt!

BftGibson, stringtree and Wooferhead1 like this.
  2. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Active Member

Ice storm this morning going out to clean the car and do some "cardio-ice dancing"...weeeee...ooops!

stringtree and MarshallDog like this.
  3. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t doing anything seriously about weight loss, even though I’ve needed to lose some for years until I got a call from an old martial arts instructor who informed me that he is starting a new organization and would like for me to be a part of it. Something along the lines of “you’ve got about 6 months, get in shape” jolted me from my laziness. Hopefully that was the fire I needed.

For the time being I’m dieting pretty hard to try to get everything jump started and then after that I’ll get back into my cardio and techniques, try to get some strength and flexibility back. It’s been a long time since I was serious with martial arts, should be an interesting journey.

4. MarshallDog

Something Ive recently learned about fat, I find it interesting.

When we are born we all have a certain amount of fat cells. These fat cells can expand to store energy or shrink as the energy is used or not avalaible for storage. They never go away.

Now these fat cells can expand to about 8Xs their normal
    size. Once they reach their max size limit they double in quantity and then the whole process can start again. The bad part is once they split/double, they never ever go away.

I guess that explains what makes a really obese person so large. The fat cells have been max out and doubled several times over the years.

When I read this and was told this by Professionals, I was shocked, I guess I never relized it and it made me think how important it is not to stress your fat cells.

Wooferhead1 likes this.
  5. stringtree

stringtree Active Member

Can't forget stretching.

I stumbled across SmashWeRx, and have incorporated a lot of different stretches into my workouts.
    Trevor Bachmeyer seems to know his stuff.

A sample below:

Wooferhead1, Derek S and MarshallDog like this.
  6. MarshallDog

I stretch every night before bed and as soon as I get up. Does wonders. I also do some pre-workout stretcbes and you need to warm up good with lighter wts before going heavy...your joints will thank you!

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  7. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Stretching is great to get the blood flowing!! I do a few dynamic stretches lightly before I run every day, it just helps get the juices flowing and the joints motivated lol, but the real stretching comes afterwards, seems to help with preventing lactic acid build up and ward off soreness, aches, etc.

MarshallDog and stringtree like this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Heres an interesting tidbit, my sister belongs to some expensive weight loss program, they said if you plateau at a certain weight or your weight loss stalls to do this: skip breakfast and lunch one day and eat an apple and a big steak for dinner, this will kick your metabolism into action and get the weight loss going again. I've never tried this but she has and said it worked.

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  9. Derek S

Kinda agree with that. Your body works basically in two modes, fat burning or fat storing...it's not that difficult to kick it into either one IME. If the occasional friend (I started and have maintaineed for many, many years now a running club here in ATL) asks me how I stay so thin, one of my favorite tips to say is "you know that feeling of being hungry? That's your body switching into fat burning mode. Let it go there."

10. stringtree

stringtree Active Member

I too agree, with the basic premise that one does not need to eat as much food as they say to eat. Talking here about the everyday person, the person playing sports of any kind is another matter.

If one keeps putting food in, you won't burn off your fat reserves...We've all heard, in order to burn off fat, one has to burn up more calories than there taking in.

The older one gets less is needed, but the quality of what is chosen to eat, remains.

Choosing food as fuel, instead of comfort can be key....

11. pedecamp

Exactly this, when youre hungry youre burning, I try to psych myself into thinking when youre hungry its a good thing, like you said, let it go there. :yesway:

The less you eat your stomach eventually shrinks and you don't require as much intake to fill up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:44 AM
  12. MarshallDog

Yup, as long as you dont push your body in to starvation mode where it will try to hang on to fat and start burning muscle. Its a fine line.

The other thing I tell people is to eat sloooow. If you eat fast your no enjoying your food but more importantly buy the time the food hits your stomach and get the signal that you are full you have already packed in more. Give your body/stomach time to reach and you wont over eat which further helps the shrinking of your gut.

13. MarshallDog

Right now I am eating a nice fresh 100% Kale Salad with pumpkin seed oil, toasted walnuts. apple cider vinegar, a Granny Smith apple chopped up and currants. Its really good and everything is as organic as you can get. Loaded with nutrients. We try to eat this 2-3Xs per week.

14. Derek S

^^ They also say you're "supposed" to leave the food table while still feeling slightly hungry...welp, "they" lose me on that one lol, rarely can I pull off that feat...but then again, I'm also good about not going to the other extreme either and gauge myself when eating. Like stringtree said, it's supposed to be fuel, not a hobby haha!

15. pedecamp

Don't eat til youre full, eat til youre not hungry, that's the trick. :yesway:

stringtree likes this.
  16. pedecamp

That sounds terrible!!! I need some carbs. You wont believe what I just ate, one of those packets of instant oatmeal LOL and washed it down with a 20 oz bottle of water. Same thing for breakfast but I'll eat a normal dinner whatever the family is having. That's been my diet since Jan 1 2019, oh yeah and some beer on the weekend but not a lot though. :yesway:

And I'm getting results, the fat is burning off at a reasonable rate.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM
  17. MarshallDog

LOL...its actually excellent the way we make it. I can send you the recipe if you like.

stringtree likes this.
  18. MarshallDog

Yes, how about when people are proud to say they are a Foodie!! I agree, eating should be for fuel and some enjoyment but not a hobby.

stringtree and Derek S like this.
  19. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Since Nov. 2018... I'm a relatively small guy (5'7 @131 lbs) - 12% body fat. I did peaked at 142 lbs with 22% body fat.

I do weight lifting for 5 days for 1 1/2 hours, resistance training for 45 minutes, and two days of rest.... I prefer dumb bells over barbells or machines.

Natural bodybuilding. I never measure caloric intake, but I estimate around 700-900 calories a day.

Protein: 2-3 eggs a day, whey protein shake (concentrate), medium rare stake. AVOID SOY AS PROTEIN SOURCE.

I eat fruits and vegetables and healthy oils as much as I can .. Sugar intake very low....

Weight lifting can be addicting when you're seeing results.

Don't spend too much time on cardio if your goal is to gain muscle....

One big thing I really emphasize is don't use heavier weights you can't handle... Correct forms prevent injuries... Keep the ego in check....

20. Derek S

Oh yeah, "foodies" lol, although some of them really just like to eat good food, more of an enthusiast, not necessarily over eaters. I eat way more than my friends think I do, but for some of us it's okay if it's balanced (fruits, veggies, nuts, etc), I mean I run 50 miles a week, every week, year round and you CANNOT do that without eating a lot lol, you NEED the fuel!!

My boss is a statistic waiting to be added and I hate it - when he see's me eating a banana as a snack while I'm working, he calls it "junk food" LMAO!! He also never exercises, eats too much, eats junky foods and nothing healthy, he's terribly overweight, etc. He just had quad bypass surgery and stints put in. Hmmm...maybe NOW he see's the light. In recent years I've lost a couple of good friends from living a life just like my boss, I hate it. I hope anyone in this thread that is on a mission stays disciplined and wins the war against poor nutrition, inactivity and junk food (especially fast food joints - those places should be the first thing you ditch).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    stringtree and MarshallDog like this.