Anyone Else On A Weight Loss/fitness Trip Since New Year?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Adieu, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

If yeah, how's that working out for you?

On a side note, question: about how much weight loss corresponds to an inch off your pant size for ~200 lbs males, anyway???

Weight's been moving pretty slowly for me (-11 lbs), but waistline is like -3", been wondering if I've actually lost much more fat mass and just replaced it with muscle

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

When losing wt its pretty hard to replace it with muscle. At best maintining the muscle you have while losing fat requires a very strict diet, wt lifting and knowing your nutritional requirements almost to a tee. This of course if you are doing it naturally without any illegal supplements. FYI, when losing wt, your body first wants to store and reserve its fat and consume muscle because it fears food is scarce and its preparing for tough times. Thats why the perfect diet for your body is so important during wt loss and to preserve muscle mass.

When I strip down I always feel a bit weaker in the gym. Thats why the pros go through bulk and strip cycles.

Sounds like you are making some good progress losing 11 lbs and 3” off your waist. Remember, slow and consistent wt loss is what you want. The rapid loss techniques usually end up with wt put back on down the road.

Good Luck!!!

3. stringtree

stringtree Active Member

Doesn't it work this way... the first place you gain weight is in the stomach area, and its the last place for it to come off. I see this true for me.

I do weight lifting / strength training along with cardio workouts. For me, just cardio alone does nothing but increase my appetite.

Like anything else, the more consistent I am, the better the results. It helps I don't drink, smoke, or drink soda. Diet is a huge factor. I don't like to wear my food...LOL

Even if your goal is not to become the next Arnold Schwarzenegger, the diet of a body builder is a great mind set to have. Eating with a purpose, for energy and strength, changes how you approach food.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Wooferhead1 and MarshallDog like this.
  4. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

At 53, I have cycled up and down over the last 18 years. I have always worked out with weights and have done some cardio. At just under 5'10", I want to maintain 165 to 170 lbs. Right now, I'm at 194 and want to get to my range by June.

A good healthy diet was the only way I was ever able to maintain a good weight for any period of time. I basically have 4 months to lose 27 lbs. by vacation. I know it seems unrealistic, but I've done it before. I weighed 167 lbs. in college and got down to 165 lbs. 4 years ago. Two many swings between 165 and 195....

Wooferhead1, stringtree and Adieu like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Carnivorous "keto" diet and some exercise takes care of that... but even if you're not cutting out carbs, you still need at least 150g of protein, and preferably 200 or more grams of protein per day if you want rapid muscle gain

Pretty damn easy to build muscle if your diet is ~60% fat / 35+% protein / <5% carbs (by caloric value)...

Two heavy meat meals of ~1 lb ea. per day (ribeye, ny steak, some random fried pork --- tried sirloin, but it was waaaay too lean), 2 lighter meals of fish or chicken, 1 large avocado

Definitely packed on some muscle, noticeable performance gains and visible changes (biceps, defined triceps, still too chubby for ripped abs but definite changes there too)

Originally did:
    10k jog/power walk every 3rd day
    100 crunches/situps mix on wakeup, 100 pushups, 100 squats through day on non'-jogging days

Messed up my knee a bit, so been stuck with this for last 2 weeks (alas less effective, but knee seems to be getting better):
    100 crunches/situps
    200 decline knuckle pushups

6. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I stopped eating added sugar about 1 month ago. So far, I've lost 11lbs. I'm eating lots of protein, and natural carbs only. Occasionally, I'll dip into some applesauce cake, but that's it. I sure do miss my Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.

My exercise regiment: Getting up to eat, cooking, playing guitar, and going to the restroom. I also fart, a lot. Giving it an extra push helps work the abdomen.

7. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Active Member

I'm currently around the same weight 5'11, ran marathons & triathlons for about 25 yrs, stopped competing a few years back. Now I'm piddlin around on a motorcycle in the summer, playing guitar, kayaking, some biking... I have a road bike on a stationary so I can peddle indoors or go out with my Mt bike if weather permits. A lot of your initial loss will be water weight. You want to do long slow work-outs to burn the fat. Stay out of the "out of breath" area. If you can get a heart rate monitor it helps you can set limits , try to keep your heart rate down 115 - 130 bpm (that's the fat burning range). I do a daily a routine of situps or crunches for the mid-section core strength. In tri I always did hard easy days in each sport. The easy days between hard efforts allow the body to repair & recover for the next workout. It' all about consistency - a good diet and plenty of sleep. And yes you will replace the fat with muscle weight, but hey it looks better! Good Luck.

MarshallDog and stringtree like this.
  8. MarshallDog

Just need to be careful with the fat, dont want to be damaging your internals while the outside looks good.

stringtree likes this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Why stay out of the out of breath area?

Or is this mostly for guys whose age or physical shape puts them at risk of giving themselves a heart attack?

stringtree likes this.
  10. MarshallDog

A few years ago I got down to 6.3% body fat. Lost about 20 lbs over the course of a year! It was interesting when people at the gym commented that I was looking bigger but in reality I was smaller. My muscle mass looked bigger and was more visible...an illusion lol!!!

stringtree, BftGibson and Wooferhead1 like this.
  11. Wooferhead1

Yep, that means if your huffin and puffin you're not burning fat your burning muscle. You burn more fat calories with sustained longer efforts than short intense effort. Lots of reps in the weight room creates definition and endurance. Lots of weight will build muscle mass & strength. I used the technique to run 2 Boston Marathons and an Ironman Triathlon (years ago)...the key is the low heart rate not the perceived effort. Long & slow will make you lean and mean.

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  12. Wooferhead1

Yea I know the yo-yo effect, just turned 60 and I'd like to get back into triathlon this summer with some short sprint races. I still got healthy knees and can run, rotators are a little rough from decades of swimming but heh I can always dog paddle...I think the lowest I got was about 160 - 165 and that was thin for me.

13. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I meed ro again. Lost 25 lbs in about 9 months 2 yrs ago, put 25 back on!! The exercise is obviously good for you, period. Resistance training builds muscle faster which burns more calories at rest.

That said, how I lost it before was 5o eat so it's sustainable. While keto is a fast loss, it isn't really sustainable long term. Cook whole fresh foods. Way more vegetables, we like most of them. Less processed foods and avoid sugar and sugars like the plague.
    The other thing is it takes a fair bit of exercise ro burn say 100 calories. Really easy diet wise - eat 1 less cookie.

I really need to buckle down and get at it again. To ne fair part of it was laziness, part stress from the wife's surgeries.

14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I put on 25 pounds in 2011 when I was on travel all year for work, being away from home eating fast food and a lot of beer to occupy myself. Since then every year I try to lose it unsuccessfully, this year I switched up my diet a bit and lost 10 pounds in January, hoping to lose 5 pounds in February and the same over the next couple months. I want to take up tennis this spring to help burn calories and hopefully by summer reach my weight goal.

15. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

nah...
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow and mcblink like this.
  16. stringtree

stringtree Active Member

More definition no...muscle hides under fat. You had no fat!

17. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

total hybrid nutso routine...martial arts.,,cardio.lil iron(used to be way into it) and working on property all the time old school..axes and dragging things,eat right..sleep right, work hard..5' 2" 140 and can still grab 4x12 cabs and pick em strait up and load at 54. lifetime of weights and cardio was way worth it

18. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

The first few pounds is usually water loss, which is why it sometimes goes fast. After that, the real work starts that makes a difference.

A loss of three inches from the wait like is a huge accomplishment and a good way to put weight loose in practical terms. You may find that you might hold steady at a certain weight range for awhile, which I think is a good thing because it lets your body get acclimated to the change. Staying at a certain weight range for awhile also helps you psychologically get used to the "new" you. Once you feel comfortable are your new weight range, you can slowly start working towards another 3-5 pound weight loss, then take time to get acclimated to that new body change. You working towards a new way of life, which is more meaningful when it happens slowly. Don't feel discouraged if the weight loss seems to go slow at time; what matters is that you don't go back to where you used to be by gaining the weight back.

For me, it's part diet and exercise. Cholesterol and fat are way down in my diet; gone from my weekly diet are hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza, french fries, and most fast food. Cutting cholesterol and fat alone made me go from 238 down to 205, and it's been pretty easy controlling the weight.

Exercise also play a roll in keeping off the weight. Easy cycling or walking helps a lot, but jogging makes the biggest impact for me. When I jog, the effects of the workout tend to last longer during the week (better control of weight, blood sugar, etc.

19. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Ymmv

I'm in the "ribeye steak is great diet food" camp (zero sarcasm here btw)

~100 grams of protein, ~100 grams of fat, full daily serving of cholesterol... good stuff!

PS no water loss counted, I weigh in on an empty bladder after waking up

stringtree and Wooferhead1 like this.