Anybody use an attenuator with their Origin amp?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Msharky67, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anybody uses an extra attenuator with their Origin amp. I know the amp has its own but I wondered if using one between the amp and cab made any more difference. Somebody posted that they weren't sure where the amp attenuator was placed post or pre. I want to get one of those Bugera PS1's and wondered if it added more gain. It seems that every demo people have the volume passed 6 and the gain all the way up. This setting just seems odd to me as why I am at odds with this model amp. I like it but its either left or right no middle ground. It seems hard to dial in certain tones. My thought is with the attenuator would it not allow to have to crank the master so much and still drive it more like we expect it to be. Can it get the brown sound? I am still gassing for one vs the SV20h. It is very loud from what others are saying and twice the price. Post some sound clips if you have one.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use to have the Origin 20 and run that with a 1*12 Greenback cab.

I used A Palmer PDI-06 attuenator to tame it a little at home, Just to be able to put the MV over 7.
    Used to run it in 3w mode.

Worked out great

steveb63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

The amp has the 3 power setting switch, the 20 does 3 and 1/2 watt. I wouldn't think you'd need an outboard attenuator although 1/2 watt is really loud.

My favorite setting was 1/2 watt, volume max'd, gain on 7, boost off. I got a really good edge of breakup tone at reasonable volume, then use a clean boost for anything heavy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  4. Msharky67

I don't understand why the volume and gain needs to be maxed out. They're not normal settings to use. It throws everything else off. Yes 1/2 watt is still pretty loud. Also if you used one of those volume boxes in the loop would that make any difference verses amp cabinet attenuator? I am curious how it would respond with the attenuator and using the one on the amp. I had one for a week and I thought I tried it with the volume box but forgot what I thought of it. Certain pedals sounded good and others not. The SD-1 was the best. The TS-9 was flat and another one I have wasn't great either. I felt like I had to force myself to like it than getting a good range of tones all the way through like others have. It wasn't bad just missing something.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Volume on 2 1/2, gain 7, middle power setting presence 8 bass 5 mids and treble 7 boost on
    mxr 10 band eq to feed both amps
    Lead 100 mosfet, clean channel volume 2 being fed by the origin behind me with the white cab, the origin fx send into the mosfet’s instrument in!
    Sorry no attenuation!
    And yes it was loud enough to play many different clubs!
    Cheers Mitch

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

And mine are the 50H’s

MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  7. pedecamp

I don't have mine any more either due to it being a tad too loud for me, I wish I had tried a volume box in the loop, I got one now for my SV20H when it arrives. As far as the settings I used, it didnt throw anything off, it gave me the tone I liked, I was trying to match my 2204 and I did but it was a little too loud.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Possibly because it is a lower gain amp? Who can say what's "normal" in terms of settings, depending on one's taste? The Origin isn't really a high gain amp so if one needs that to make it cook, so be it. Use the 3 watt setting.

9. pedecamp

Looking at @Msharky67 list of amps honestly I dont think getting an Origin is gonna add anything for him. I'd save that money and sell some of his other gear and get a good Gibson LP or something instead.

Michael Roe, tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  10. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

QFT
    Set the knobs with your ears, not your eyes is the old saying

11. tmingle

tmingle Active Member

"And yes it was loud enough to play many different clubs"
    All the clubs within a 2 mile, without moving the amps. lol

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. mad5066

mad5066 Member

I use the PS1 with my origin so I can use the 20 watt setting, I don't dime the either the gain or master but I'm not looking for the amp to generate the distortion either as I'm using it as a pedal platform. To me, using the attenuator works better than the lower modes but they are nice to have in certain situations. The amp comes to life the higher you can get the master and drive knobs up though, certainly achievable without having to dime them. I want to get the SV20h but its hard to justify when my sl drive with the origin are a very close approximation.

tce63, steveb63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

I have the Origin 50H. The lowest power setting is 5w, which can be loud if you crank the vol to get the gain from the amp. So, attenuator can make sense, less so if you use it as a clean pedal platform. The pre-amp is low gain, so you rely on the power section to deliver most of the gain (or pedals).
    This will make a big difference between volume box in the loop & attenuating the cabinet, as both will make the amp quieter, the volume box (if attenuating a lot) will also change the amp's behavior - the weak signal that hits the power stage is not enough to get the amp cooking.
    As far as Origin vs SV20, both are great. I have them both side by side, I'm afraid the Origin hasn't been switched on lately...

14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I don't own an Origin, but I do use an attenuator. If you're looking for more gain with a Origin, you'll more likely need an od or distortion pedal. Maybe you bought the wrong amp.

As I said earlier, I use a attenuator, I use it with my SC20. It works great, I can now turn my amp up as much as I like and play at any volume I like. If your interested in getting an attenuator I can highly recommend a Weber MiniMass 50 watt attenuator. I, like you, was looking at the Bugera PS-1 until I came across the Weber MiniMass.

I did a bit of research on them and decided this is a better piece of equipment and didn't cost much more. The Weber MiniMass is made by Ted Weber,....the Weber Speaker Company guy. These units are made by hand, one at a time as the orders come in, here in the USA.

It's got 16, 8, and 4 ohm speaker options, also it has a +3db and +6db treble boost. It sounds great, virtually no tone loss at all, only when attenuating to very low volumes is a slight treble loss occurs. This can easily be restored with the treble boost switches. When I use my MiniMass at very low volumes I use the +3db treble boost, at higher volumes it's not necessary. All this for $136.00!

https://tedweber.com/minimass

[​IMG]

Michael Roe and tce63 like this.
  15. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

You have a Jube 2525H, just put on clean channel and run some pedals in front. It would slay an Origin...or just get the SV20H and a real attenuator as well :)

tce63 likes this.
  16. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have one of these on my next thing to get list. I checked a few weeks ago and they were out of stock at the time.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  17. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

Guess what I was just coming to ask for advice on here for.... I've got my 20w head in the shop right now, with the work planned for next week, going to install a PPIMV and a mini switch for the fx loop so it'll stay on. No FS.
    Between me and my engineer friend we've spent hours these past 3 or 4 days pouring over schematics and looking through all the components on the board.

So I have this to say...
    - the master volume is pre PI.
    - the FX loop is before the MV.
    - installing the PPIMV might be a bit easier than the fx switch, though both are pretty simple.
    - some components are different values to your standard fair, but it's not overly complicated.
    - attenuation/powee setting is between the fx loop and MV.....
    - every method to scale the volume down internally has left out the PI... a volume reduction anywhere after the PI will infinitely better than what's on there now.... so a Master Volume Mod is needed....

18. Msharky67

Thanks for sharing! Please post some clips after the mod. I would still like to hear it with one of those boxes. Bugera PS1, Weber Mass, Ox etc. This makes sense why it responds the way it does.

19. mad5066

mad5066 Member

cool findings, I'll be interested on your results!

tce63 likes this.
  20. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

Evening all, been working on a couple of little mods, I intend to pop a PPIMV mod on this, and a little switch for the fx loop on and off...

Here's where I am with it, if anyone knows of anything that may help me please let me know.

- The current MV is PRE Phase Inverter, meaning to drive the Phase Inverter you must turn it quite a way up, to 7 or 8...

- I've located the Plate Resistors (in the picture I mention Cathode, I meant Cathode Follower, is this correct?) And Capacitors, though I can't see where the 82k one connects to the cap, may find out when we flip the board over next week.

- I think we've located the Grid resistors for the power tubes, though they are definitely not 220k, they appear to be either 56 ohm or 560 ohm. Which I thought odd? Anybody able to chime in there?

- then there's the footswitch for the fx loop, when it is disconnected the loop defaults to off, which is a pain, so I want a switch on the back to switch it on and off...

- Everything marked with an X is sounder point also where work is to be done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1zI_2lB0RP/?igshid=1ubv2wf2zc3h9