Anybody have a noise issue with a One Spot?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Webslinger, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I had a few people recommend the One Spot power supply.
    http://truetone.com/1-spot/
    This would be for my Boss 3-pedal board, which I had burned-out a couple of generic AC-to-9volt wall warts. Bought the One Spot kit (with 8-device daisy chain and extra adapters). It has a 1700Ma rating, so three common pedals are no problem. Never tried more than 3. For awhile is was great! and dead-quiet. But after several rehearsals (about 25 hours of use total) my pedals became very noisy, esp with the distortion pedal, and also had an oscillating sound to it. Tried different outlets (US 120v AC), different buildings/homes, different daisy chain cord, and 3 completely different pedals, and with different amps..same thing. It's definitely the One Spot. something inside must have gone bad? Odd thing is it is NOT noisy with only two pedals, but connect a third, the noise is bad, so bad I cant use it live. And the 1yr warranty has passed.
    Has anyone had this issue with the One Spot US-version?

(I know some will recommend another brand/device, but lets keep this about the True ToneOne Spot for right now)

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Generally, noises in daisy-chained pedal configurations are due to the clock noises in digital pedals bleeding through and becoming amplified by the rest of the chain. If this is the case here, it's not the power supply that's causing the problem.

3. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

The only time I had an issue with the OneSpot and noise, was using it to power a few pedals AND my G Minor midi controller (it's just a simple controller I use with a G Major). It made for a constant hum that drove me nuts, and now that I do not use it for the G Minor, I have no issues. I even have both units next to each other, on a power strip, and it's quiet.

4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with the 1spot adaptor: high pitched squeel and some mains noise. You could easely make a power supply filter with a 10 Ohm resistor and a 4700uF 15V cap.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

1Spots are convenient and cheap, but very, very inefficient. As said above, daisy chains suck if you want clean power. You need a proper isolated power supply. Spend a good $150 or so for one.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  6. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

All my pedals are analog. Common Boss and a few Ibanez 9-series. I tried different pedals and the noise changes, but still there. And the noise was NOT there for awhile, but after about 25 hours of use, it just happened and been that way since. Something with the One Spot definitely went bad.

7. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I also have the larger 6-pedal Boss board with a better P/S that I use for serious gigs. This 3-pedal board is for rehearsals, house jams, open-mic, etc. But I still dont want it to whine & buzz. And I wouldn't call $19 bucks each "cheap". If they were less than $10, then I'd easier accept they have a finite service life and are disposable.

8. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

Can you elaborate? How did you make it? Is there a webpage with instructions, maybe?

9. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

The power supply itself is very cool and quiet. When you daisy chain depending on pedals you can get noise. I have one which I like using just by itself. I usually don't stack more then three or four pedals so I use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Iso5. It works cherry with regulated isolated power taps. I have the Visual Sound version of the One Spot. I'm not sure if True Tone is still making them.

10. Rahlstin

Rahlstin Well-Known Member

Had a big problem with those and a JVM. I used BOSS adapters after and that fixed it

11. riefil

riefil Active Member

I had a problem with mine. Returned it for a new one and no problems thereafter.

12. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have two One
    Good advice. I might get one myself since I use a couple of One Spots - haven't had any problems with them yet, but it just makes sense to go with an iso power supply.