Any Peavey Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Aug 13, 2019.

1. mycarsux

mycarsux New Member

To me, Peaveys always seem to be best purchased second hand. I picked up this Classic 50 4x10 this week for cheap. Like, my wifes' last haircut cost more than what I paid for this amp. They don't seem to hold their value like other brands.

[​IMG]

netlocal likes this.
  2. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

That’s awesome.

My memory (which is not to be trusted) is of a single Peavey cabinet under the head.

I had two of those Sunn cabinets, 2x15’s, one of mine had ‘Cream’ stenciled on the back of it. I used those two cab’s with a Kustom 200. But I digress. Yes I am a Peavey fan.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

So looking at the front panel, it would have been feasible that RR jumpered this amp. Yes?

The show that my recollection comes from, was at El Camino Real High School in Woodland Hills, Ca. A friends band was opening the show and we got in during the load in and sound checks, and were able to get up on the stage so I got to see some of this stuff up close. This was the first time I’d ever seen an amp jumpered, that particular detail left quite an impression on me.

It was like only little more than one year later I saw him onstage at the Long Beach Arena with Ozzy. I couldn’t believe it was the same guy. The progression of his sound was really phenomenal.

4. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

well I have a peavey amp that I have had about 20ish years , its a peavey "solo" busking amp , 2 inputs , 1 mic and 1 for an instrument and runs on batteries at 10 watts and on 240 household electric in uk runs at 15 watts plugged in , and I used it many years ago at vanfest vw show at Malvern , singing and playing guitar tru it ,I used it a lot with batteries when we were camping , and I used it a few months ago as a pa , and I used my jube mini combo, and the peavey was perfect for this small gig ,just singing tru it , and I had the jube on 20 watts , and I was really impressed with the complete sound , so I thinking about using it as a pa and getting some small gigs in pubs and small clubs , electric busking , me my jube , my peavey , and my strat, a small very neat little sound and a small neat little setup -sorry if I went off the track a bit , I know you were talking about tube amps but the peavey solo is an amazing little package

5. sonicexplorer

sonicexplorer New Member

JSX, hands down one of the best amps Peavey ever made. I have one of the first models right after the protoyping phase so I'm not sure if mine is something special. But it stands up to some of my boutique amps and old Marshalls. Not quite as girthy and clear on the gain channels, but close. The features and tone are excellent really. Main components are reasonably good quality as well, of course the circuit board is more modern style with tube sockets. Weighs a ton (partially attributed to the head shell wood). IIRC it can use either EL34 or 6L6 (but I've always used EL34's)

I did try to buy a second JSX once I realized how awesome mine sounded but could not find another like it, the others sounded....less organic, almost a bit fizzy. So again, not sure if something about mine is unique but I'm never parting with it. I'd recommend a JSX to anybody, it is a really versatile amp.

Sonic

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I hear a lot of talk about the Peavey Butcher. I have heard that it is a modded JCM800 kind of sound. Anyone have any insight on what they sound like?

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Same here, how good are they?

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I did find this.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  9. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Thanks bro. Sounds Marshall to me. Paul's demos never fail to make me laugh though.

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yep, Pauls a funny dude all right. I kinda like the amp to, I don't see it anymore though. I wonder what replaced it, the Invective maybe? If I ever stumble onto one of these I might go for it, if the price is right. Seems they put all the right stuff in their higher end amp's I wish I had payed more attention years back. If you can find the right one you can get killer deals on them.

11. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

12. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

My 10th grade guitar and period correct Peavey

Cold steel flashin ...hot lead flyin...