Any Peavey Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Their new cabs have V30’s, Creambacks or Greenbacks. They look pretty good for the money, we’ll know soon because I have a 2-12” cab coming with greenbacks.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  2. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Let us know how that sounds. Are their modern cabs as heavy as their old ones? The Peavey stuff I have seen always looked like it was made just as well if not better than some Marshall/Fender stuff.

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

They weigh about the same as all the rest, 53lbs, so they should be well made. They have a little better one than I bought that is real deep, 16" and comes with the same thing I'm running in my other 2-12" a V30 and the 75w Creamback. They won't be in until the end of september though and list for $750 ($650 or so from Sweetwater) I got the one coming for $430ish w/ Greenback's but may be selling them. (Trying 2 Eminence) The only thing this cab dosen't have is side handles but I have them on the way as well. You can run this cab open or closed back, stereo or mono, just like a Carvin 2-12" cab that I have / love but can't buy anymore. If this works they way I want I may buy 2 1-12" cabs of the same model for testing and experimenting with. They are one of the widest 1-12" cabs (23") and come with a Greenback for $300 and can also be run open or closed back. I think this would be a good cab for guys with a DSL40 combo to sit on.

4. JacksonCharvelAddict

I am guessing the Peavey cabs weigh about the same as the chinese Marshall cabs. The Jubilee cabs are all birch and weigh over 150lbs with the vintage 30s in them. I carried a 4x12 for a DSL and it felt quite a bit lighter than that. So if the Peavey is lighter than my jube cab I am totally ok with that.

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the "good" 4-12" cab is 95lbs, that cheap china cab Marshall uses is only 63lbs (The 1960A cab is 80lb) and the regular Peavey 4-12" cab is 80lb. Mesa is the worst at 99lbs but at least they use wheels. I want wheels on ALL my 2-12" cabs, and side handles so 2 can carry it.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  6. JacksonCharvelAddict

Is that what they weigh when they are loaded? I wonder how much speaker types vary weight wise.

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

A lot! My EV12L weighs a ton, I took the amp out of the combo cab and it seemed just as heavy.

8. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Peaveys work well with the same speakers you'd use for Marshall or Mesa

V30, T75, K85/100, g12-65, g12-80, CL80, MC90, greenbacks, creambacks etc

If weight matters so much, you can shave ~6 lbs / speaker (vs. H-mag speakers) by going Neodymium

9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

My Traynor 4x12 with G75's is 101 lbs. Wheels on it obviously.

I have a Peavey 6505 MH and really like it. It's missing some of the oomph of the big iron boys but very feature laden. 20/5/1 watt, XLR out, loop with foot defeat, etc. Tons o gain. Fun little amp. I also had an old SS Transtube Studio Pro I now know I should have kept. Always made decent stuff for the working musician IMO

10. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I grew up with Peavey amps and onwed quite a few. I still have one of their Mk IV bass heads. They make great kit. I would not hesitate to play a Peavey if I was not near my Marshall.

AlvisX and Jethro Rocker like this.
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

No, weight doesn’t matter to me because they are all within a few pounds. I was just seeing if they were made with the same thickness as other good cabs, they all use about the same speakers. I like these because they can be run open or closed back and stereo or mono. I have a Carvin cab like that I love but can’t find another one so I’m hoping this does the trick.

12. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nothing wrong with Peavy if you find something you like.

Are they still American or are they in china too?
    I am going to guess, no.

I do not trust anyone who wants to advertise themselves with pictures from 40 years ago either.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I’m not sure where their made, probably not here though. I think I saw somewhere that they were one of the last holdouts to go overseas and had to do it to complete. Shame.

14. JacksonCharvelAddict

They kept manufacturing in the states until just a few years ago. It's terrible that companies do this and are rewarded for it.

Lakeabilene likes this.
  15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Peavey himself didn't want to do it at all, and I don't blame him. The guy is pretty cool from what I'v seen about him. He was talking about "reissue" amps and how people wanted him to make some as well. His response was "you don't want one of our older amps, are newer ones are so much better". He said they have come so far ahead with the way they are designed and made it would be crazy to go back. Parts last longer, less to "maintain" etc. He's probably right in some ways, I know the CNC mills I buy are fine made in Taiwan, if you have some guy's in house to watch quality control. Pull them out and within 2-3 container loads you have junk. However, if you had the castings made here the same machine would be around $20,000 more and no better.

16. JacksonCharvelAddict

I really like their new amps. I have wanted a 5150/6505 for years but never been able to find a good deal. The Invective seems like the best modern amp out right now. I would much prefer a new Peavey over the new EVH amps. The new EVH are very poorly made and have a lot of failures.

17. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I still have cs800's, an earthquake sub generator, and other miscellaneous p.a. gear thats been beat to hell and back and other than one cs800 that I ran at 2ohms and smoked a couple output transistors (my fault) everything still functions like intended.

That old stuff will not die, and if it does Peaveys customer service bends over backwards to help..thats worth alot in this day and age.

The new stuff I had a 6505mh for a spell that was a pretty decent little head. Great tones in a small package. I gave it to my brother for helping me around the house here and I do miss it. Not as stout build wise as the old Peaveys, but really..not much is anymore.

GIBSON67 and Crikey like this.
  18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Got the 2-12" cab, AWSOME! I'll post a new link in "speakers".

19. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

My one, and only amp, that I used in the 80's was the 400 watt Peavey Musician MkIII Series which I paired with the 2x15 Black Widow cabinet. It smoked everything!
    :shred:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  20. Chrome

Chrome Active Member

my Mississippi marshall 1979 peavey mace vt 320 half stack. 160 watts of screaming bayou.

Attached Files: