Any Peavey Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Although I'm not a big Peavey fan, this amp is pretty nice. (Depending how well it's made.) It's got a lot of very nice extra's in it like an input gate, 9v power supplies for pedal's, built in boost and drives, and 2 effects loops. The foot switch is pretty nice as well and control's just about everything. The speaker cab for this system is one of the best "out of the box" cab's I'v seen. I just bought a new Orange 2-12" cab but it's going back for one of these. They have a very nice 2-12" cab that is extra deep (16") has stereo / mono switching, and come's with the same setup I use now, A Cel. V30 & 12H-75 Creamback. They also make a little cheaper cab that has Greenback's in it and is closed or open back. The amp is a little pricey at $2000 but does seem to give a lot, surprisingly it's an 6L6GC based amp with 6 pre-amp tubes. I'd like to see it in real life and look at the component level. Watch a couple video's if you like it.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/InvectiveH--peavey-invective120-120-watt-tube-head

Jethro Rocker and paul hancher like this.
  2. lespaul339

lespaul339 Active Member

I've worked on a few peaveys for some friends and their PCB's are super thin. Not saying that they can't sound good, but just beware that they're not the best amps to work on if something goes wrong. I also didn't like how the tube sockets were mounted directly to the thin PCB's so every time you pull old tubes out to replace tubes you're putting stress on the circuit board. That being said a lot of the newer fender amps are the same way.

3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Im not much of a gear snob . If you were around in the late 70s /80s ,you grew up on this stuff ,and you know how sturdy it was

I get a lotta milage outa this old 1x15 bass combo

[​IMG]

A guy gave me this broken early 90's Classic 20 . Truly a pain in the ass to work on ,but sounds pretty good when workin

[​IMG]

My 1st bass and my 1st amp ....

[​IMG]

One of my best teenage friends had a Pacer ......it was the neighborhood amp ..might be at THIS guy's house one week and THAT guy's house the next week . Put a DOD 250 in front of it and you got somethin useable
    My buddy died young . I found a Pacer pawn shoppin for $70 , have it with one of his guitars as a shrine in my living room
    It's funny , because if you look at the construction (circa 1978) ...built like a tank !

[​IMG]

4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I’m very sorry to hear about your friend, but I like what you did. Back in the day those things were tuff, every one I knew of just kept working. I know nothing about them today but this new one does look pretty nice. The speaker cabs are very nice and I’m going to try one.

5. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

my first real amp was a peavey standard and a 4x12. lately i have been getting into silver stripe bandits and a rage 158.

JM5010 likes this.
  6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I had a Peavey Backstage 30 (that was actually 18w, not 30) and like others have said, it was built like a tank.

I loved that amp! Saw one on Craig’s List a few years back and almost bought it just because. But then the logical part of me took over and said why?

This new Peavey looks nice.

7. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Not really a "fan" but they've just always been around my life. Like others have said, solid, reliable amps, i even have and use one now. I even have a old 4ch PA head from the '70s as an emergency backup, don't laugh, it actually sounds pretty good.

8. Rudy v

Rudy v Active Member

Here are some of my peavey 's 15658925830367292819900226723074.jpg

9. Rudy v

Rudy v Active Member

10. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Back in the day I had a Peavey Mace head. Six 6l6gc's and loud as hell. Lost it in a house fire. I would love to have another one day.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  11. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Ah yes, "the Misissippi Marshall" :)

12. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Pawn shopping in the 80's, PV's were what was out there, mainly...I tried many. One combo, I think the Deuce, had a phaser built-in which was cool.

And the Rockmaster Head sounded good, but I was a novice and I couldn't keep it from feeding back once the gain was up.

Just last weekend, I saw a CS-800 power amp for $150...almost pulled the trigger. These were PRO power amps for the masses.

13. deadear

deadear Active Member

Had a classic 50 for 7 years. Never touched it . So ya I am a fan. They make good stuff.

14. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

15. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Active Member

I’m very seriously considering snagging a 6505+ 112 combo nearby.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  16. JM5010

JM5010 Member

My Windsor: heavy as hell, built like a tank, and loud like it's older ancestors. With the Peavey amp clones (the Fender-y tweed looking amps, VTM, Windsor), there's always something weird about its circuitry lol.

For example, the windsor is supposed to be a Marshall clone. Is it a Plexi? A JCM? No, it's weird mix of both...with a Cathodyne PI and a bunch of stuff that's odd AF or not needed. It sounds okay though and it's LOUD.

17. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Peavey fan here, I played a Back Stage for near 10 years in the 80's, now it sits looking pretty in the corner not used but to provide memories. :yesway:

[​IMG]

JM5010 and JacksonCharvelAddict like this.
  18. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

I've owned a bunch over the years. 5150 Combo, VTM 60 (converted to El34's but should have left it alone) & 120, and a Bravo. I should have kept one of the VTM's and I would not rule out a 5150 combo for the right price.

19. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I love my old Peavey Deuce. It is heavier than my Marshall stack. The drive channel is pretty good but the clean channel is this amp's best strength. Put a good reverb and chorus in the loop and you got a killer clean sound with head room for days. I think they are 120 watts. Damn thing is built like a tank and weighs a metric ton. Not sure what year mine is. It says Deuce II.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  20. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

What speakers are you Peavey guys liking? The previous owner put Texas Heats in mine. They sound a little dark for this amp and my v30 cab sounds a lot better. I have heard the black widows are the best but the mace and deuce work well with speakers similar to v30s.