Any Fender 2 x 12 Cab Nuts Out there?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by MSH, May 17, 2015.

1. MSH

MSH New Member

Hello everyone,

I came across a local listing for a "very old" 2 x 12 Fender cabinet. It's in pretty rough shape but looks like it could be a fun project- One speaker is original and the other is a Pyle Driver according to the seller. He also believes it to be from the late 70's/early 80's but I'd like to get a second opinion. I was wondering if anyone here can determine an age for the cabinet by looking at the tolex and logo? I've attached two photos that were sent to me. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

0517152010a.jpg
    0517152010.jpg

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Maybe theres a serial number you can cross reference?

3. MSH

MSH New Member

@Pedecamp I may just take a stab in the dark on it. Worst case scenario, I could flip the Pyle speaker.

4. pedecamp

Unless you can get it for cheap I wouldnt buy it, its totally trashed. Is the age really important? A Fender cab is a pine box with some fabric and tolex on it, if you enjoy doing this kind of work then go for it, I dont think the value is worth worrying about especially once you've restored it its not original any more, but you will have a nice cab on your hands when its done as long as you do it right.

5. MSH

MSH New Member

Right, that's where I'm at with it right now. The seller wants $25 for it as is, and I'm gonna most likely flip the un-original speaker. I only wanted to know the age because of the one Jensen speaker that's still inside it. I'm thinking of making this into a fun cabinet project, and try to re-tolex and regrill the thing to match my BF 67' Bassman head.

6. pedecamp

I wouldnt go higher than $17.95 LOL! Matter fact I'd make the seller pay you to take it! Hey thats cool, when you get it search around for a matching Jensen.

7. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-FENDER cabs are the only product of the entire FENDER line I like!!!

my favorite cab is an old FENDER BASSMAN cab that had 2x15's,..i replaced the baffle board making it an oversized 4x12,..no matter what speakers I put in it,... no matter what head I throw on top of it,..it always sounds killah!

-is it the pine?

-is it odd size?-(though H & W are large,..it's not very deep!

I'd buy it in a heart beat

8. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

It's been a while since this stuff was at the top of my head so I could be off by a year or two. Assuming that the logo and grill cloth are original...

The long tail logo is a Blackface/early Silverface style. They changed to a no tail style logo in either '71 or '72 I think. The orientation of the logo would indicate that it is an upright cab. Fender started this on the larger cabs roughly the same time as they went to Siverface cosmetics - around 1968 - maybe a few years earlier on some of the big cabs.

The black/silver grill cloth is also Blackface/early silverface era. In '72 they went to a cloth with a light blue stripe in it and in about '77 or so went to an aqua stripe in the grill. Same later grill had an orange stripe as well.

So I would guess that this cab is pre-1971 and post-1968

Not knowing the dimensions and having a photo of the full cab, I would guess that it is either a Bassman or Bandmaster cab. It is possible that it is a Dual Showman cab as well.

9. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

For $25 it is a no-brainer.

The logo (if original metal) is worth $50...

I would definitely get it if the wood is in decent shape and re-cover and re-grill it. It would make a killer cab for a BF or SF Bassman head. And a fun project as well...

Metroman and blues_n_cues like this.
  10. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

Also, from the photo, it looks like the speakers may be the same. They both seem to have the same aluminum dust covers with the small round black vent in the center.

These look like CTS speakers and may both be original. If they have the big square magnets, that's probably what they are. They will have EIA mfg/date code on them too that will be a big help identifying and dating them.

If/when you get the cab, post more shots of the insides and the speakers.

11. Odin69

Odin69 New Member

I thought I'd piggyback on this thread and see if anyone new what year this cab is? I can't find anything online about it. It measures 39x29x11.5 and is a 2x12.

[​IMG]

12. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

that thing is friggin awesome. id dump the speakers and load it up with celestions, and use it as is.

why recover it? its got character. 25 bucks is no brainer.

SteveGangi likes this.
  13. MSH

MSH New Member

Right? I thought I'd be crazy not to do this.

So here's the story: I drove out to a trailer park where this guy was located. He led me into his cramped little place which reeked of stale cigarettes. Turns out he wasn't a player, but was using the speakers for a radio! So I asked him where he got the thing and he looks me straight in the eyes and says: "It's a secret". Uh oh. So I forked over the money and hauled the amp away in the backseat of my little sedan.

Looks like someone spray painted the top of the cabinet where the tolex was missing and shot the edges of the grille with the same paint. Then upon further inspection, I realized the genius who did this had painted over what seemed to be the drip edge. :ugh:

Either way, I'm still happy. Should be a fun project for my Bassman head as well as a good story to tell down the road :D. Will post more pictures as soon as I can. Thanks everyone on here for the help!

14. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Active Member

Assuming it is a Bassman/Bandmaster closed back 2x12 cab and going off the general dimensions of cabs from the 60s/70s...

21" x 32" x 11½" (53.3 x 81.3 x 29.2 cm) would make it a "small" blackface cab from the early 60s.

29½" x 40" x 11½" (74.9 x 101.6 x 29.2 cm) would make it a "large" blackface or silverface from the mid 60s to late 70s.

They often came with Jensen C12N, Oxford 12T6 or Utah ceramic 12" speakers.

I have the "small" one, with the tilt back legs. Sometimes you get lucky at a pawn shop (I did).

I can't tell for sure, but guessing without a reference object, I'd suppose you have the older "small" blackface. The logo looks about right too.

Saw this after I posted... That would make it a mid to late 60s cab. It's worth 25 bucks, just for the lumber and the effort of building one from scratch.

blues_n_cues likes this.
  15. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

Drip Edge - that dates it much more precisely. I missed that in the photos because it was painted black.

That is a 1968 cabinet. They only used the drip edge for one year. There are a few examples of amps/cabs from very early 1969 with drip edge but the majority of them are from 1968.

16. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

Based on the dimensions and no drip edge -> late '69-'75 Bandmaster (Reverb).

Fender Silverface Bandmaster | Ampwares

javier pintos, Odin69 and SteveGangi like this.
  17. dbf909

dbf909 New Member

Here is one of a number of incredible sites on Fender Amplifiers. The amount of detail is staggering - pretty much anything you want to know and more is here:

The Fender Amp Field Guide

18. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

I had an old 2x12 like that one. yep,worth $25 for sure. rewire/respeaker it,add a 4x12",& have yourself a great 3/4 stack. :yesway:

SteveGangi and MSH like this.
  19. MSH

MSH New Member

Thanks DBF, this is exactly what I was looking for. The amount of information is almost overwhelming! Definitely going to bookmark for later use.

SteveGangi likes this.
  20. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

ok so i happened to find what appears to be a 68 bandmaster 2x12 for cheap. (drip edge)

it has fiberglass lining the inside of the cab...it is also ported top and bottom (the long way)

should the fiberglass stay? or should i remove it?

this thing is huge...fair to decent cosmetic condition for its age...some tears on the bottom. im going to install casters for sure...no speakers, will load it with 75's to start and see where im at with it...