Any Boat Owners Here?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MarshallDog, Nov 8, 2019.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Here is what I have put an offer in on but the prick wont move much. It is a great boat, in great shape all maintenance has been kept up (the dealer has the records) but I like to negotiate part of sales and he wont, got him down 1400.00 which is nothing plus a whole bunch of other stuff thrown in but still. Plus, I want it BUT dont need it...errr! One minute I am about to sign the deal the next minute I'm like NFW what a waste!!!

https://www.collinsmarine.com/defau...=7574918&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

2. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

What rental options do you have? I've been a boat owner for 20+ years, I like it but not really sure the cost can be justified. My wife certainly does not think it can be justified :)

3. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

man... you stole my idea! lol!!! big motorboat fan here too

4. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, but have you tried motorboating in a boat? :)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Would that make one a long shoreman?

6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Trailering is definitely a pain. Problem with a slip is barnacles if you’re in salt water and algae/scum in freshwater. Neither are fun to clean.

7. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Oh, you know he is going to spring for the slip with boat lift included or maybe even one of them forklift garage outfits.

KraftyBob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Nooooooo, No,No. Ask anyone that has owned Mercruiser petrol's with Mercruiser legs. ( Like me)Your probably looking @ $2,000 to service the legs & replace bellows kits before you put it in the water. Then strip down & service every year after. Not to mention fuel, fuel & more fuel + servicing for the engines. Seriously get something with a 4stroke outboard/s or Diesel shaft drive cruiser on a mooring.
    Mercruiser legs left on a mooring = bad. Mercruiser legs on a trailer left trimmed up = bad, it stuffs the bellows.
    Edit: Where the legs bolt onto the transom housing, the ports corrode around the seals but you wont know that until they are stripped down. Transom housings about 5k each legs about the same. + fitting.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. Madfinger

This is my 7 metre Fjord with both original Mercruiser engines & legs visibly removed. It was going to cost about $15k to replace two legs & one transom housing, not including engine repairs & me doing the labour. I purchased one new leg, used the best of the two transom housings & installed a second hand 240hp diesel engine. Now..... the last of the transom housings in the image need replacing @ 5k. The decision now is to sell the boat for nothing or repair the transom & fit two 4 stroke 90hp outboards. :wallbash:
    20190921_100204.jpg
    20190921_100251.jpg

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

it's a lifestyle thing, if this is a lifestyle you want and can afford then it's well worth it. You only live once! :yesway:

12. Madfinger

Exactly. But do some homework & you'll find most that have anything to do with boats will run when they hear the word Mercruiser because your throwing good money at bad. There are way better options.like a diesel family cruiser on a swing mooring that you can sleep on will be cheaper and a lot more fun. If speeds your need go 4stroke outboards.

pedecamp likes this.
  13. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Never, ever, own a boat. Ever.

14. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Another satisfied boat owner.

15. ampmadscientist

Unless....it's a October Class submarine. Those are cool.

16. ampmadscientist

After hearing the terrifying stories (above)....you still want to buy a boat?
    There is counseling and treatment for this type of obsession.

17. Madfinger

It's not owning a boat thats a problem. It's knowing what boat to own that suits your budget some are high maintenance some not. I had a 23' diesel shaft drive sleep over cruiser on a mooring that cost about $1500 a year to own plus fuel $30 a day fun $100 a day fishing surveyed for 8. Stupidly I purchased the Fjord when I was pissed not knowing the costs of maintenance..... Mercruisers ... only once for me. That 1998 boat Marshalldog is looking at for 40k will cost way more to own over 10 years than what a 25' Bertram or Riviera diesel will cost, moored.

Mitchell Pearrow and Neil Skene like this.
  18. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

I am at a stage in my life where all the extreme type things to do are not really an option any more. The Motocross and mountain biking days are gone but buying a boat about seven years ago is one of the best things me and my wife have ever done. But if it were me I would pass on an open boat. I am well over the ski hero, tube towing, driving in circles type boating but, you might want that. you will burn, burn, burn! in an open boat and a change in weather will have you scurrying for the ramp. Those boats are very limited by design and an expensive day out can be cut short at a moments notice. On the other hand if you buy something a little more sea worthy it can be a whole different ball game.
    _K3A1749.jpg
    We get to spend time together with no one around but us two, no internet no phone reception nothing but the water and us.
    If at all possible try to get something you can spend the night on (we did it in a 5m runabout for a while before buying a bigger boat)
    But the boat below allows us to have enough water and food for about five nights without touching land.
    20190720_175319.jpg
    The fishing and swimming in summer is fun but the middle of winter is also a completely different experience, And worth the preparation.
    The night is one of my favourite times and again a completely different experience to the day.
    20190418_182954.jpg
    We use it more like a caravan than a boat really. Only difference is the campground is free and you drop anchor wherever you like (once you learn how to anchor)
    _K3A6730.jpg
    We have built memories that will last us until the end of life and the adventure of planning a five night stay as well overcoming some obstacles on the way makes it even more of an adventure. Its hard to describe the feeling at the end of a days fishing, swimming and sometimes hiding away on a little sandy beach out of the sun. Its like nothing else to find a spot and drop anchor for the night, cook your dinner and have a couple of drinks while watching nature do its thing all around you.
    _K3A41851.jpg _K3A6564.jpg
    Maybe even watch a movie.
    20190104_202105.jpg
    The maintenance side of things can be the killer if you can't do it yourself. Brakes and bearings on the trailer, little fiddly things like pumps lights, and some fittings on the boat need attention as they are not built up to the standard of a car. Electrical problems can also cause a bit of a headache but most can be solved with a multimeter and some thought. Strange things happen when you toss all your electrical bits and bobs into a bucket of nasty salt water.
    My trailer LED lights developed a little leak into the circuit board and were sending 9v up the trailer wiring into my brake controller which turned on the brakes every time I turned on the headlights. This drove me mad for a couple of nights thinking how this seemingly magical event was occurring but the multi meter and some careful testing found the 9v coming up the brake light wire when I turned on the headlights. (The story is longer than this but you get the idea) Now if you took this to the boat dealer or electrician you would have spent a pretty penny and many trips to and from before it was solved as there were Manny things to blame. Newer four stroke engines require oil and filter change only (I check the plugs and even changed them for the hell of it once but they didn't need it at all)
    only thing that has gone wrong in six years of boating on a regular basis (a little over 100 hours a year) was a starter motor that was assembled wrong at the factory when the motor was new.

So Im just trying to show you there are different ways to use a boat and not all of them include flogging the thing to death then whinging about how you gotta fix it all the time. No machine will last when it is used at its maximum output hour after hour. Your car rarely sees more than 2000 rpm and when it does its not for long. Theres nothing stopping you from running your boat at 6000 all day and some do.
    I don't see it as a waste of money as a holiday costs thousands each time you go and you can't go nearly every weekend like we can on the boat.
    Its not for everyone but if you find you do like it and start using a boat like we do you will never regret it. I would suggest to slow down and have a good think about how you would like to use it. Good Luck.

PS. careful with that nature thing all around you :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Not
    yet...
    But the way
    rainfall is going
    it could be any time soon

:hippie::pirate::uk:

20. AlvisX