Any Boat Owners Here?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MarshallDog, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:41 AM.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Im considering buying a used boat! Probably a stupid idea but I love power boats and the water. I made an offer on one but he wont move much...errr!!!!! Thoughts, opinions on owning a boat?

tce63 and DaDoc like this.
  2. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I motorboat, but I do not own a boat. ( . ) ( . )

3. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

A couple of thoughts that I have heard over the years:

The two best days of a boat owners life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it.

The letters in the word 'BOAT' are financial...as in Break Out Another Thousand.
    It describes almost every repair your boat will need.

Personally I have 3 boats, but only paid for one. People get tired of trying to sell them and drop them off at my house when I'm not home to stop them. That is the only thing that sucks about living with a lake in the backyard. Everybody assumes that you want another boat. I do not.
    I did have 4 boats but was able to give one away for free to a guy who dug a large pond behind his house.

Make sure you get a copy of the latest boat regulations in your area. They often change the regulations and you don't want to get a huge fine because you didn't know you were supposed to have a certain type of light or a certain size fire extinguisher on board.

Amadeus91, tce63, DaDoc and 1 other person like this.
  4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

A boat is a hole in the ground that you throw money into.
    [​IMG] this is one of several boats that I have worked on. Mostly hyrofoil...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    tce63 likes this.
  5. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Active Member

I own a canoe, no motor. It's a hobby for me for more of 30 years (I'm 41). In the river, in the sea ... I go everywhere I can put the paddle. I love water.

Söulcaster, Lance Chambers and DaDoc like this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Motorboat = hole in the water to throw money down (kind of like flushing money down the toilet)

The number of times you'll actually use it because it will always be in the shop for repair youre better off renting a boat a few times a year.

Or get a sailboat :yesway:

tce63, DaDoc and marshalltsl like this.
  7. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes, boats can be an expensive hobby.

However, you need to describe what kind of boat.

tce63 likes this.
  8. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes. I like the dual inboards myself.

I stay away from the outboards.

(()
    ||
    U

tce63 and DaDoc like this.
  9. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Thar is no willing with boats you buy a used one it needs work spend money or buy new one spend money . Even if you repair it your self . Good luck

10. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

The best kind of boat is your friends boat. You get to go on it, but don't have to pay for it (time and money) :)

My In-laws used to have all the toys: boat, wave runners, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, etc. I somehow became the family maintenance guy and can attest to the amount of upkeep all these require - all year around with boats and snowmobiles in the mix. Depending on the boat it can become the Harley-Davidson on the water with upgrades, mods, etc - it's never-ending. As much as I was disappointed when they started to unload all of this stuff, there was a part of me that was happy too.

We have some great memories and wouldn't go back and change it. But, my wife and I never bought a boat, snowmobile's etc., which I think is very telling.

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.
  11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had a boat. It was a lot of fun when we were on the water, but We trailered ours to the river everytime, which to me was a pain in the ass. If you can slip it instead of trailering it imo is the only way to really enjoy it 100%..show up and go. And it seems there's not much you can fix on any boat that's not at least $500.

I'd Really be wary of used boats, as you may be buying someone else's problems, and repairs are expensive. I would bring someone along who knows boats, and what to look for. My used boat cost me $2300 the first season for something as simple as a seal in the lower unit that I had no idea was leaking. Ran it dry, and burnt up something that made the prop turn apparently...the Point is even simple shit can end up costing some pretty good change..myself I wouldn't own another, imo pains in the ass.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and DaDoc like this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Plus they sink...

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and DaDoc like this.
  13. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Do rafts and canoes count?

I have a 14 foot Odyssey pro-grade self-bailer raft set up for fishing, and a 16 foot Old Town canoe. At this stage I prefer unmotorized river floating, fairly easy to tranport, and not much breaks on them.

Although I have to admit, a day on the lake in a good motorboat IS awesome! That is, whenever you're not dead in the water trying to flag down someone on their way back to the dock that's willing to give you a tow..:facepalm:

+1 on being wary of used boats..I had two friends back in the 80's who both got burned. Both of them spent as much time getting towed back to the launch and fixing crap that broke on them as they did actually having fun on the water.

I remember showing up at one of my friend's house the day he bought his, he was proud as a peacock! We had a cold beer and christened his new chick magnet..A few months later, after two false starts on lake trips, and big couple of big repair bills, I was back at his place and he asked me "Ya know what the definition of a boat is?" When I said no, he replied "It's a big hole in the water that ya throw money into!" :lol:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 1:49 PM
  14. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I lived around a lake in Ohio in the mid 60s and the GW Invaders were the fun boats to have. I looked at one seriously mid summer. The expense for the few times I could take it out detoured me. Plus it's murder on the back ..;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 2:08 PM
  15. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

I had a Robalo 17ft center console and an older Chapparal io, don't buy used! If you are going to buy one, go brand new, if you go used, for every hour on the water you will be spending 4 hours on maintenance! Be a boat whore, go on your friends boats, that being said, the boating life is the life! Nothing like being on the water at sunset time....

16. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I owned a 1985 Imp 25 cuddy for a couple years so some friends and I could run around cheaper than renting. Bought for $3500 sold two years later for $2750. I liked it a lot and would have kept it except that storage was a nightmare and would have cost more than the boat did if I’d have kept it!

Other than that it was a good experience. But used and buy smaller than you think you want. Mine had a Mercruiser 350 and running it was like pouring gasoline down the drain. Still, pulling up to a waterside restaurant and hearing the thru-hulls rattling the dock was a great experience, as was running up the lake channel at midnight looking at all of the marker lights on the docks. I miss having a boat and boating but I didn’t really have a good place to keep it and after some of my friends got different jobs and moved away I didn’t use it enough to want to keep it. For me they are a social thing.

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  17. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I once was a Bass fisherman. I would hit the water three or four times a week. I owned a 18' Nitro, a 21' Ranger and a 18' Mirage hull w/ a 225 Promax offshore rig (for those enjoyable moments). :nuts:

Don't own anything now but a few (21) fishing rods n tackle. Life is Great! :agreed:

18. MarshallDog

:rofl:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. MarshallDog

Thats my common sense talking is the few times and the few months on Lake Erie and the Niagara River worth the BIG investment.

jmp45 likes this.
  20. MarshallDog

Yes, I agree, I would be docking it at a really nice place...I cant afford new for the type of boat that I want...ugh!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.