Another Used Amp Day

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by royslead, Jan 9, 2017.

1. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

So, in order to afford my Mesa Mark V, I sold both of my other combos (also Mesa's). This left me without any "grab and go" type amp, which I do, on occasion, have a use for. I started looking around Craigslist and a decent looking little combo popped up, right in my town. It's a VOX VT50. These are hybrid modelers, using one 12AX7, much like the Valvestate. I was actually hoping to find one of those, but this was such a deal (I think). An older guy, that salad it was a bit too complicated for him had it, and he brought it to me, along with the factory foot switch, and a copy of the manual. No pictures as yet, and I already made one mod. The grilles on these are a chrome plated, expanded metal. I flipped it over, and painted it black. To me, it looks better, but not as nice as some actual speaker cloth would. Anyways, playing through it, it doesn't sound too bad, and you can bypass the models if desired. So far, my favorite is based on a Silver Jube, but all are a bit too much on the bottom end.

ricksconnected likes this.
  2. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Good luck. I had the VT30, which ended up having reliability problems. Volume would cut out to almost nothing after a few hours of use. Then it got to the point where it would cut out after about :20-:30 minutes of use. A buddy of mine bought the thing, problems and all. He ended up swapping it for a VT50, and it developed the same problem. This was a few years ago. Maybe the design was fixed, but it was pretty fun to play with when it worked properly.

royslead likes this.
  3. royslead

Thanks for the heads up. I played it a few nights now, but not very long. It is really only meant for grabbing to go jam at a buddy's house, if needed. So, if it develops an issue, I'll try to fix it.

Ghostman likes this.
  4. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

These are considered modelers? I picked up a VT15 years ago at GC for around $90 used. Set it clean, through it behind the couch in the living room and noodle at times in the evenings. No issues yet but it's TV level quiet and sounds ok for that.​

royslead likes this.
  5. Boink!

Boink! Active Member

These VT units are the upgraded versions of classic Valvereactor series that actually sounded really good (Far better than say JMD in Marshall range, and a 100watt one could easily hold it's own next to jcm900 in terms of how full and clear the sound is). For some reason I did't really like VT100 I played nor I liked how the other guitarist in the band sounded through it after he switched amps. Actually, from what I found while sleeplessy surfing and reading about various Vox amps, is that ppl seem to find all succeeding models (that came after Vox VR) to be more and more complicated and not as good as sounding as the original VR thing.

royslead likes this.
  6. royslead

I can see where people would find these amps a bit complicated, especially if all they want (or are used to), is a simple plug in the guitar and play amp. I have to say though, after spending a bit of time with it and the manual, it seems to become a lot more intuitive.

ricksconnected likes this.
  7. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Had a VT30 for a while. Not a bad little amp.

Have fun with the 50

royslead likes this.
  8. royslead

Thanks