Another Newb From Arkansas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by thunderstruck507, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

Hey guys,

Long time Marshall fan but new to the board. Been looking for a good guitar players forum but I also like amp tech stuff so figure this would be a great one.

I have 2 of the most hated Marshall tube amps but honestly I'm not real sure why they are so loathed: DSL401 40watt combo and my newest baby is a TSL 100 head.

I run them into a JCM 900 1960A cab but I recently swapped out 2 of the G12T-75s for a pair of Vintage 30s in an X pattern.

I play rock/metal but find myself interested in stoner/doom stuff lately.

For guitars I've got 3: Epiphone Elite '61 SG in cherry, Epiphone Elitist LP Standard Plus (with out of phase pickups) in faded cherryburst with flametop, and an Epiphone Matt Heafy signature LP Custom with EMGs.

I run an MXR Classic Overdrive as a clean boost/compressor (with dip switch set to Zakk Wylde mode) and a Boss NS2 out front and a MXR Analog Delay and a cheap Behringer Chorus in the loop. Also have a Metal Muff dialed in to the same settings as used by The Sword and an Idiotbox effects WHORES. fuzz/cocked wah for the rare times I'm not getting what I want from the amps gain channels.

NateSLC likes this.
  2. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, neighbor!

3. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

4. NateSLC

NateSLC Member

Welcome to the forum. I sure enjoyed the TSL and it served me well for a long time, I only got rid of it because the damn foot switch connection kept failing on me. Other than that it rocked! Hope you enjoy the forum.

thunderstruck507 likes this.
  5. thunderstruck507

I've only had the TSL since Monday but I love it so far. I got it from Guitar Center used for $399 because it's a little rough on the tolex but it matches my cab so it's a win to me.

Previous owner has swapped tubes at some point. It has Mullard EL34s and Electro Harmonix preamps except V1 was a Sovtec. I popped in a JJ I had laying around into V1 and the crunch channel picked up the slightest bit of warmth (I had to switch back and forth just to be sure it wasn't in my head) in exchange for some of what I would call "bark" so now it really sings, especially at lower gain settings...very open sounding to me. Granted it's been a long time since I played much on an EL34 amp, the DSL401 has EL84s and while I liked the sounds it wasn't as traditional sounding as the JCM 800 or JCM 900 I used to get to jam on.

The lead channel does have some minor fizz if it's not loud enough but that problem is easy enough to fix by turning it up another half a number. The JJ tube seemed to have increased that fizz though...I intend to experiment this weekend when I can play louder.

It came with the footswitch and mine works perfectly other than the problem which I've read is common where when you engage the FX loop it cuts volume. That's a bit of a bummer to me but I guess I can just increase volume on my clean channel since that's the only time I really use the loop much anyway.

Excuse the mess of footswitch cord, I was too excited to tuck it under the cab before snapping a quick pre-jam picture:

[​IMG]

6. thunderstruck507

Also I can't for the life of me figure out where to edit my signature and what not...

7. NateSLC

NateSLC Member

If you have only had it since Monday you will work any little bugs really quick. What a great price! I never experienced a volume drop with the effects loop engaged I wonder what makes that happen. The really cool thing about those amps is how easy it is to bias the amp the next time you change out the power tubes, I really miss having the bias probes being on the back of the amp, it was genius. One really cool feature on the JVM heads like I have now is that the foowswitch connector is just a plain old guitar cable. I wished that would have been the case on the TSL instead of the multi pin connector they used. I hope you never have trouble with it. Once you do your first full tube replacement and bias on that amp whenever the time comes I have a feeling you will absolutely love it. Wonderfully versatile amp.

8. thunderstruck507

Yeah, I saw those probes and smiled big. Taking apart my DSL401 to bias wasn't difficult by any means but I certainly like the idea of not having to do it at all.

I don't know how reliable the info I read was, but I guess the earlier versions of the amp suffered problems when people put "hot" pedals in the loop so the circuit was altered and a result was a volume drop when engaged. I didn't have time to search for solutions but the thread I read that in solved it by putting a MXR Micro Amp boost pedal in the loop. I'm not exactly keen on buying a pedal just for that.

If all goes well I won't have any trouble from the footswitch as the rig nor the switch will really get moved other than to vacuum the carpet under them so it won't be seeing any abuse.

Do you recall what brands of tubes you used in yours? I'm pretty happy with it as is but am always open to hearing about other options for the future.

9. NateSLC

NateSLC Member

When I owned my TSL I was not really experimenting with tube rolling and mixing different brands. I was more inclined to go straight across with one brand on the preamp and power amp tubes as I was buying tube packages on The Tube Store that they have put together for specific amps. So there were Tungsol, Electro Harmonix, and back then Winged C power tubes (which are crazy expensive now). All of them sounded great in the TSL, I can't say that one stuck out better than another. It was only in this last year that I tried mixed preamp tube packages on Doug's Tubes website, they call them preamp tone kits, which are pretty cool, then paired with the STR Ruby EL34's that Doug recommended. Sounds great in the JVM and the DSL40c and I would imagine any Marshall. However, I think that the next time I retube I may just go straight JJ tubes throughout for the first time. When I started to put more JJ preamp tubes in lately just goofing around it seems that they are warmer and more pleasant sounding to me. Choosing tubes and tube combinations is the topic of much discussion on this forum and it can get pretty crazy. The JJ's are so affordable I think I may just keep it simple this next round and it will be fun as I have not done it before.

10. thunderstruck507

I bought my DSL401 used back in 04 or 05 and it was always kind of mellow but I never really thought much of it. Last year when I started playing more I decided to refresh the tubes and went JJ for power tubes and then bought a bunch of preamps because I have an Orange Micro Terror that uses the same tube...so I was able to pop those into the Orange 1 at a time and hear the difference in a complete A/B scenario and get a feel for what they would do to the tone.

First up was testing the Marshall tubes and it turns out 1 was a no name tube that created a drastic volume drop and sterile tone in the Orange and one of the Marshall tubes had been the source of a random crackle in the amp I thought was related to the house wiring. Another of the Marshall tubes had a different color font on it and also created a volume drop in the orange.

I decided on a JJ in V1, EH in V2 and V3, and I forget which for the phase inverter. First time I fired the amp back up with fresh tubes I couldn't stop smiling...I had to dial the gain back from maxed on the OD1 to about 11 o'clock to get vintage tones and now on the OD2 even for the heaviest metal the gain never goes past 1 o'clock. I'd been playing on a half dead amp the whole time I owned it. Always wondered why I had to use OD2 for any lead work because OD1 even with the gain maxed didn't have much bite or sustain to even achieve AC/DC live solo tones unless I ran the MXR overdrive in front as a boost.

11. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

12. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer 2017 Limited Edition Turtle Sammich Promo VIP Member

And welcome to you who have come to the MF. :yesway: