Another Fire Breathing Major On The Way.

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Michael RT, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Michael RT

Michael RT Well-Known Member VIP Member

I'm not a collector, I'm a guitarist and a vintage unmolested amp is useless to me and also to many others.
    I'd say 90% of musicians want an amp they can play through and enjoy. Not an amp that sits on a shelve collecting dust. Most guitarist/musicians are not collectors.
    BTW, my modded Major would fetch more money than an unmolested Major.

2. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

I don't know much about Majors but I do know there wasnt many made and unmolested ones left are even rarer. A mint Major would be a way better investment than modded to your tastes Major IMO but I dont know the market for that amp. However I do know if you start modding a 50/100watt Plexi panel you just hurt the value of the amp. Of course theirs a buyer for everything but the general statement apply's here as well.

coldengray likes this.
  3. Michael RT

LOL,
    [​IMG]

wntbtw likes this.
  4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I think it comes with a balance of usability. From what I can see there are no major alterations made and it appears to be easily reversed.

If the mods make the amp usable and sound good I personally see no problem with it.

I would suggest that the original parts are kept and no extra holes are drilled or big parts like the transformers and stuff kept stock why not go ahead and mod it to the owners taste. I spend quite a lot of time reversing some of the horrible 80s mods on amps that have typically died or no longer work as needed so the easiest way of getting them working properly is put them back to stock. At least Michael's mods are easy to reverse if ever wanted.

Bear R. and Michael RT like this.
  5. Michael RT

This is true Neil and I greatly appreciate you pointing this out.
    I respect vintage Marshall amps and always will. :yesway:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. Marshall200

Marshall200 New Member

Nice thread Michael! It's good to see somebody keeping The "Beast" alive and well. I also have a 1968 and mine sounds quite different from the video clips of your amps. One of the problems of not producing the original tone, is not having the availability of real KT 88 tubes. The current production tubes that are labeled as KT 88's are not true KT 88, with the exception of the EAT KT88 which are extremely expensive, but are really good tubes. I'm a little curious what you're using in your amps?

wntbtw likes this.
  7. wntbtw

wntbtw Member

Sounds great and great playing too--love all of your clips! What did you have the volume at and are you attenuating it, OD pedals, etc or is it just pure Marshall goodness? I wish I could crank up my little JCM 800 1x12 '2204' combo but don`t want to draw attention to myself [and my guitar etc] w/ the neighbors--it stinks.

8. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

Always good to see you jammin' RT..Love it man..Take care Brother..see ya 'round..