Amp Stands

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Emtbreid, Aug 19, 2019.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

You can refer to another similar inquiry here: http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/stack-to-stands.107275/#post-1823778
    After trying a few options I went back to the original stack.
    So I am in agreement with the others who recommended a second cab to stack.
    Of course you're being in a small room the much greater expense etc., etc. of an additional cab may just be over kill and a waste..
    In the end you're probably better off as you are.
    BP

Emtbreid likes this.
  2. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Even a 1/2 stack is pretty low - bottom line, your ass and legs don't hear so well. In addition it's best not to have the speakers pointed directly at the ears of audience or sound engineer. I always raise and/or tilt back my cabs. I have multiple angled cabs for this reason. A road case makes a great stand also. For small gigs, sometimes I just bring a milk crate: carry some of your stuff in it and then use as a speaker stand. I had Bob at Sourmash build me an angled 2x12 recently that turned out great, the picture below is on the floor but I always raise it up.
    JTM45_rock.jpg Sourmash2x12_Hiwatt_side.JPG

Dogs of Doom, KraftyBob and BftGibson like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking about the Fender tilt back bars but I never owned an amp with them so I really couldnt say anything. Do these work well, the back of the amp does touch the floor which I suppose is the next best thing to the entire amp being on the floor?

4. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

hey..true marshall fan..i love both M & F circuits..the tilt back..well..it changed a lot for me..

The tilt on the super is coupled but it has such a dif mojo. Its deep but yet middy..i record a lot & am very concerned with mix.. noticed..at home..always set way to bassy..just this morning in a/b for session for tomorrow...the Super RI is going..i favor the 74 but the mix..not off topic..but bringing up...have always had too much bass in the home playing..it does not translate live or in recording...the tilt..brought a very dif immediate sound..not as bassy but it just rode on a jazz & P bass automatically...i kinda stand in bewilderment cause of all the M's i have but.. think the tilt..it was a true factor in mix level for us at practice...no blow by sound...and was able to work it on 4 on volume & it breaks real nice a kick drum level......

Today the RI sound awful on own & the 74 awesome..but in the mix..the RI is getting the song tomorrow..fender combos have their own mojo..like the cab is def part of the sound..i run em in ,my other cabs..not the same

just went & did a test..no tilt..couldn't find the sound as fast..had to turn up to compensate then it really altered the room

tilt-turned amp down right away..more mids present..not as muffled & bassy..room was very equal sounding in comparison

pedecamp likes this.
  5. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

room was 20 x20 great acoustics

6. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yes, Fender tilt back legs work well :yesway:

7. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I've always preferred my amps on the floor. I think you get better bass response from the cab with it on the floor.

Emtbreid likes this.
  8. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

I do intend to get a cab and maybe different amp at some point, just not right away, but I am glad I took the time to put everything back on the floor last night. HUGE difference.

BanditPanda likes this.
  9. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

If you go for an extension cab be aware that 1x12 cabs usually come with a 16 Ohm speaker (same as your 401), whereas 2x12 cabs are usually 8 Ohm (2 x 16 Ohms in parallel). To use the amp speaker with an extension cab you are best matching the Ohms at 16 and plugging them into the speaker jacks with the switch set at 8 Ohms (i.e. the two 16s in parallel=8 Ohms).
    There has been much discussion on the forum about safely mismatching speakers, but I would follow the manufacturers recommendations.

KraftyBob and Emtbreid like this.
  10. Emtbreid

I agree! Thank you for that! Would I not be able to get a 16 ohm 2x12?

11. SkyMonkey

There are some but they are rare or have to be custom spec'd from new with 2 x 8 Ohm speakers in series. Or you could replace the speakers in a 212 yourself (expensive option).
    Not sure of the reason for it though. Maybe something to do with 212 cabs normally being used with heads?
    If you can find an old JVMC212 cab they are 16 Ohms total to run with the JVM 212 combos (also 16 Ohms total). And perversely the 112 JVM combo is 8 Ohms!
    Then again the Marshall 1912 1 x 12" cab I got came with a 150W 8 Ohm Celestion as standard. I have been running 16 Ohm replacements in it since I bought it to pair with my old DSL401. My 401 came with a 16 Ohm G12T-100, so I put the same in the 1912 cab (no imagination or experience with speakers at the time!).

12. Emtbreid

Matching speakers may be tough for me. I have an ‘83 G12-65 in my 401 and they’re getting a bit few and far between and/or expensive (least what I’ve seen recently).

13. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

My speaker cab is actually a MG250DFX that I bought from a guy that pulled the head and was using it as a 2x12 cab. I refurbished it and converted into a 1x12 cab. Being a former MG, the cab has a very slight angle to it. Not as much as your Sourmash cab, but at least it's not directly parallel to the floor.

14. SkyMonkey

The trick may be to mix speakers, not duplicate them.
    I changed the speaker in my DSL to a G12 Century Vintage and plan to use the original V Type in my next extension cab. The VS65R will get a second G12T-100 as the bottom end needs some help in that amp.
    I have read some threads concerning using different speakers to compliment or fill-in the gaps in a particular speakers' sonic range. The Celestion G12T-75 is often touted as a good compliment to a range of different speakers and is a cheap enough place holder when finding the best match.
    But it can get to be an expensive experiment if you are in search of a "Holy Grail" combination. We all have differing tastes and ears.

15. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Good point about mixing speakers. I have the G12M-65 Creamback in my DSL and the G12T-75 in my closed back extension cab. The Creamback nicely fills in the mids the T-75 lacks, and the T-75, sitting on the floor, brings in a nice bottom end that I can feel in the floor when I'm moving some air. I'm really happy with these two speakers.

16. Emtbreid

Hmm, maybe I’ll have to scrounge up a 75 to try out. I had a friend “emphasis on HAD” that told me to Leave the 75’s alone, that they were some of the worst speakers Celestion ever made. He turned me into the 65 I have, which is working well.

KraftyBob likes this.
  17. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

well said. end of thread.

18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

go get a chair from the dining room and try it out.

19. Emtbreid

How would that be different than the stand I’ve been using for the last few months?

20. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

my mistake. it seemed you hadnt tried a stand yet