Ames amps?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by thrawn86, Oct 7, 2009.

1. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

I used to have an Ames amplifier head, probably made in the 70's but I can't remember....the knobs looked like a kitchen range!:lol: Was a 200w PA head. We got it from a relative's friend who used it in a church or something. He was pushing two homemade cabs with 15" speakers and piezio tweets. It never was too loud; prolly had bad tubes or the like. It was single channel of course, nice cleans when I plugged it in. Does anyone know anything about this brand? I'm sure it wasn't a goldmine, but the tubes might have been......

EDIT: I guess the name is spelled 'Aims'. I did find out that Randall bought them out and it was a few guys from Fender who started it. Any other info is appreciated!!

2. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

bump!
    C'mon, Marty!!! You of all people should know about the tubes in this amp!!! :h5:

3. pbmw

pbmw New Member

I had a 120 watt Ames Research amp in the late 70's. Maby around 78 or so. I think I paid $50 for it. I played a Strat at the time and that amp had nice cleans but sould get very nice tones as you cranked it. It was loud through a 1960a though.
    I've thought about just why I let it go...

4. tallchris

tallchris New Member

Heard they can sound rad from buds on another forum. Also heard they're a nightmare to work on from a tech standpoint. Like the worst parts of working on Ampegs, Peaveys, and PCB mounted Marshalls all in one amp.

They made a 6x10 tube guitar combo that looks awesome.