allman's amp settings?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by bullitoby06, Oct 27, 2007.

1. bullitoby06

bullitoby06 New Member

having read on other websites that Duane Allman used marshall Bass heads for his amps i'm wondering if anybody out there would have any info on what his settings on his amps might have been? or are willing to take a guess[​IMG]

2. LJGriggs

LJGriggs Member

I'm not sure of the exact settings, but I have heard from reliable sources that he basically dimed everything...

Here is some additional info:

Excerpts From: “How to Play Like Duane Allman”
    Publication: Guitar Player
    Publication Date: 01-JUL-04
    Author: Ellis, Andy

Duane Allman 1946 - 1971
    Main Guitar(s): Gibson 59 Cherryburst Les Paul & 68 Cherry SG
    Main Amp: Marshall "50 watt bass head"

As far as Marshall amps are concerned he tried 100W heads, but switched to 50W soon after as he could push them to heavier distortion at quieter volumes (remember that these amps didn't have distortion channels like modern amps, but required natural volume to push the valves to overdrive)- although quiet is still relative (i.e. loud).
    In order to thicken out the sound a little, he used a Fuzz Face distortion box, which he insisted to be used in conjunction with nearly flat 9V batteries. His justification for this was that the sound takes on a slightly creamier quality when the batteries are flat, while the amp can then be used to provide the main raunch and overdrive.
    This is an interesting note when comparing his sound with that of fellow guitarist Dickey Betts, especially on the "at Fillmore East" album. Dickey used 100W heads, so the overdrive is still far cleaner when he played at the same volume as Duane. They both used half open modified Marshall 4x12 Cabinets, which were altered to use JBL-D120 speakers; these have a very different tone and character to the standard Celestion 25 watt speakers found on speaker cabs from that era.
    There are many photos around of Duane using a Bass top cab, which he probably used to get the smoother, essentially bassier tone that he preferred. Because the amps do not feature a channel switch, both used the volume controls on their guitars to alter the clean/distorted texture when playing rhythm or lead. Duane, however, used the Tone and Pickup controls far more during his solos than Dickey did.
    Also, Duane was in fact left-handed, despite playing the guitar as if right handed.

"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    -- Duane Allman

bluefrog likes this.
  3. bubbaboucan

bubbaboucan New Member

I have heard the same about the full tilt settings...also rember ( I can) that PA systems were very primitive, and monitors nearly non-existant, so the amp's volume was the front of thee house volume, espically in the early years...no wonder I can't hear!

4. Scrap_Iron

Scrap_Iron New Member

Loading your cabs with JBLD120's and sawing out a third of the back cabinet will get you close, if you've got a nice Marshall 50-Watt. Duane really worked his guitar knobs, too, according to "reliable sources."

5. bosrocker51

bosrocker51 New Member

Re: allman's amp settings? my 73 Bass amp

I agree w Griggs notes on Mr. Allman that the 50w bass sounds creamy with nearly flat batteries in a distortion pedal. I use a 1981 (first year) Tubescreamer. My 1973 50w Bass amp is amazing with Tesla EL34's in it, and sounds better than the vintage Mullards I put in it to replace whatever was in it - nameless 34's. It has the sound "like angels singing" as my friend Dragan says, with the Teslas... I bought it to get a classic rock sound and usually play a LP Custom clone guitar thru it with a Gibson 57 Classic Plus pickup in the bridge position. It has that chimy classic rock sound I love, circa 1969 Stones Keef Richards sound. It is too bassy for me as is, have the bass all the way off and treble at 10 to get the sound I like. Presence is low, at my preference. I have a custom made 4-12 slant cab with Greenbacks in it. Totally kicks ass at 2 on a small room.

6. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Re: allman's amp settings? my 73 Bass amp

Sounds yummy!:naughty:

7. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I use different settings for different songs. I suppose in the "old days" they just left everything in one setting, at least live.

Ken

8. bosrocker51

bosrocker51 New Member

Re: allman's amp settings? my Bass amp

Oops, just re-read my post. My amp says 23-11-71 for the date of manufacture... Tesla EL34's sing...

9. Rockbert

Rockbert Active Member

Geez, there are only six knobs, just twist them around until it sounds good.... Your guitar and speakers will make a huge difference on where those knobs need to be for any particular tone. And the tone you get standing in front of the amp is a lot different than the sound from a mic in front of the amp, through the studio processing, mastered on to a CD or whatever, and then played through your stereo or iPod. And some people would say, it's all in the fingers anyway...