Alice Cooper Trash album - JCM 800 ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JonG, Jun 25, 2019.

1. JonG

JonG Member

Does anyone know which guitar amp was used on Alice Cooper's Trash album which came out in 1989? I really love the sound on tracks like House of fire:

Since the JCM 900 came out in 1990, I'm guessing they used a boosted JCM 800s for the most of it? Obviously they could have used something other than Marshall but does anyone know or have an educated guess?

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm guessing an unboosted 800, the gain in that song is pretty low.

Did you look for any live videos of the song and maybe see what amps are on the stage?

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think I saw a JMP on the right and another Marshall on the left I couldn't tell what it was. Regardless, its a Marshall if youre looking to get an amp that sounds like this song, most any Marshall amp will cop that tone.

4. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Can't find anything online about what John McCurry used on that album (he's the one who recorded these guitars), but yeah, probably an unboosted 2203.
    Don't know what either Al Pitrelli or Pete Freesen were using with Alice Cooper on the Trashes the World tour either, but iirc Pete Freesen was using 2203s with The Almighty (love that band btw), so probably the same on tour with Alice. Can't really see the amps on the DVD though (and I've watched it many times), apart from the aforementioned JMP.
    Amazing album too, and the live Trashes The World DVD is insane. Stellar line-up too (Jonathan Mover on drums, Derek Sherinian on keyboards, Tommy Caradonna on bass).

5. lespaul6

lespaul6 Member

Poison is definitely a boosted JCM 800 ... great tone!

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

JMP would be my guess as well.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.