AFD100 - Any comments from new owners?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Jaguarguy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

first you need to find a truck that'll go 160mph

Gblev, rich24a, cylon185 and 2 others like this.
  2. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

roddy, I have an original 1959, and It sounds great. But I still love the tones I can get out of my AFD!!

Maybe you haven't played with yours enough? It took a little messing with for me to find the sweet spots, but when you do LOOK OUT!!! This amp really does everything well! Very versatile.

I'm not saying its the be all/end all amp. But it can do just about anything you could ask of it. Sure if you want a one trick pony, theres better amps. But I want one I can take to a gig and get whatever I want easily.

3. big dooley

make no effort, he's convincing himself he made the right choice, by constantly bashing the AFD...

Gblev, skingy and matt3310 like this.
  4. Rafał

Rafał New Member

He's posting about his 1959 in all AFD related threads, like if anyone cared.

BTW, I hope I will find a used 1960AV soon, so I can finally play through it (yes, I know, it's been over 3 months since I got the amp [yes ofcourse, I tested it before pulling the trigger]).

5. big dooley

yep but 4 months ago he told us this:

and now he's telling us this:
    blah blah blah...

Gblev, plexilespaul, roddy and 4 others like this.
  6. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Roddy has posted so much crap about the AFD100 that I've become immune to it and look forward to his routine AFD100 bashing posts now. :lol:I'm not being sarcastic either.

Why doesnt he just use a catapult to hurl the amp rather than risk getting a speeding ticket?

fon267 and roddy like this.
  7. hidetox

hidetox Active Member

oh man... this's absolutely hilarious...!

8. Jak0lantern01

Jak0lantern01 Member

Seems to me like 99% of AFD owners are very happy with their purchase. I know I am. A few others have unfortunately entered the "troll" category because they couldn't figure out how to get a good sound from their guitar, uh, I mean, amp. ;)

9. stoof

stoof New Member

AFD100 is neverthless a good amp. I have one.
    Most of people prefer AFD mode. I like this mode, but it doesn't cut the mix well in a band situation, because it has lots of low ends.

I have always loved #34 tone from UYI, and was a bit disappointed by the 34 mode. I have found right setting to play with and like to tone I found.

A friend of mine has modified a JMP 59 for me (he just added the 34 specs exactly like in AFD100), and the 34 tone is now much better on my JMP than on AFD100. It has more dynamic, more low end.

So I would say that AFD100 is a great Amp, verstaile if we know how to use a guitar with an amp, but they failed on the 34 mode comparing to how it should sound normally.

10. big dooley

santiago had the #34 in his own hands, so how would you know how it should sound?
    the #34 is a lightly modified 2203, so a modified JMP 1959 is in fact further off

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    fon267, Gblev, JayCM800 and 1 other person like this.
  11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Big time bust by the big D! We like!

12. roddy

roddy Active Member

Nah, that is not true. I do apologize if I am coming across that way. It simply was not for me and I really don't like it. I am now very happy with my Plexi. I really do stand by my opinion that this amp is only for slash tone, period. It does do that well and it looks killer. Funny thing is, I was just jamming some snakepit stuff and I could totally pull off his sounds with the plexi. I just want other folks to know exactly what this amp produces before they do what I did and purchase without trying first. Bad move on my part.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    The Ozzk likes this.
  13. big dooley

perhaps, but the baddest move was the blah blah blah part i pointed out... since you mentioned NOTHING in your NAD-topic (for which i'm sure is a HNAD :)) i'm pretty confident you see that as well now... if you want to tell other folks what the AFD does, before they jump into the deep like you did, you do that with nothing but objective views, facts, strengths and weaknesses... not by telling it should be thrown out of the back of a 160mph truck with 2 sticks of dynamite attached to it

when someone comes over here asking if he should buy a DSL or a JVM, i intend to do the same, without my personal preferences when it comes to overall sound... mainly because i respect every marshall... be it the budget MG-series troughout the topshelf JVM's, from the jurassic old JTM45 upto the brand new YJM100... and everything in between

chuckharmonjr and hidetox like this.
  14. roddy

roddy Active Member

Agreed...

Understand, I was also "trying" to be somewhat comical and get some laughs with my far out comments but I guess it didn't come across that way to some. These threads just don't stop wrt slash and the afd and I personally find it entertaining. When I see a new thread on this topic, I know it will be a great read.

As stated previously, no disrespect meant whatsoever. I will figure out ways to be more helpful in future posts, without sacrificing my opinions.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  15. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

If Roddy is into the tone of a plexi, I can see why the AFD100 is not for him.
    I like a variety of tones, from the plexi, metal face, jmp, 800 mkii and 900 mkiii. The only thing that really interests me on the AFD100 is the power scaling..that seems pretty cool to me. It sounds pretty cool, too, but I am pretty satisfied with my 800 and 900. of course, I wouldn't mind a 1959, or a 1987 or maybe a 2204 or a 2203 for the stable, but I digress.

16. Magus Tony

Magus Tony Member

Fixed.
    And by the way, the AFD has been the only amp without any disappointing clips so far, there must be a reason for that. If you don't like it, the problem is that you probably can't appreciate it. AFD 100 represents the raw tube saturation from Marshall, the only territory where electric guitar can thrive. I realy like everthing about this amp aprt from the signature. I am a big fan of Malmsteen, but honestly the AFD100 just sounds better than the YJM100.

fon267 and Snakeface like this.
  17. NeilVox

NeilVox New Member

Really pleased with mine - had an issue with a resistor but it's great now.

#34 mode takes some fiddling - I'm loving it either with the gain maxed out or preferably set the gain at 12 o'clock and max the master volume with the tones on about 3-4 on the Les Paul - woody!

Lots of tones to be had and can't wait to use it gigging so I can find out more about it's range. :headbanger:

18. big dooley

did they mention what resistor exactly?

19. NeilVox

NeilVox New Member

They didn't - the report was really basic - if I recall, it just said 'Replaced resistor'.

Will have another look tonight. :)

20. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

100% agree.