Advise on Replacement On /Off And Standby Switches

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Simplypaul, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Simplypaul

Simplypaul New Member

I have a Marshall 100watt Super Bass head from 1973. The on/off switch is none original work's fine but not original. The standby switch is original however the toggle is becoming very loose and feels like it may give away at any time.
    I've had a look online for replacement parts with not much joy, Marshall won't supply replacement electrical items to the public. My question is where can I get an original spec new replacement on/off and standby switch.
    Any advice or help would be much appreciated, stay safe and well.

Kind regards.

2. patrice

patrice Member

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Check on eBay . Aircraft safety switch would look real cool for that

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Ebay has plenty of the right ones. Along with the right nuts.

5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

One of the forum members here (can't remember who) is selling used but good original switches. The are known as black bat type and originally made by Arrow. They are not to be confused with the 67/68 type made by Torotor which are also black plastic but the lever on the early ones is totally round (vs the flats on the later ones. As Matthew's Guitars pointed out the later ones have the chrome slotted dress nuts (early ones had chamfered nickel plated knurled rings).

6. Simplypaul

Simplypaul New Member

7. Simplypaul

Simplypaul New Member

Hi many thanks for your message, if I am correct here the switches should be chrome toggles not the flat black plastic one's. I've look at a few other amp's from 1973 just to check and they have chrome toggles like the super lead from this period.
    I think you are absolutely correct arrow are the manufacturer of the switches both the plastic and metal one's you are also spot on with the slotted chrome nut I have one slotted and one plain. I'd upload a picture but it keeps saying the file is to big any ideas how to over come this issue?

8. neikeel

9. Simplypaul

Simplypaul New Member

Hi many thanks for your link, don't think these correct as in these are 6A and the ones currently fitted in my are 10A.
    They look good but my understanding is arrow made the switches not bulging? And I'm after the slotted nuts

10. neikeel

You’ll be lucky to get the correct chrome dress nuts. The current Marshall ones are sharp chamfered.
    Switches crop up now and again (I think I have a used one knocking around somewhere).

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

FYI, I've bought several black bat switches from this seller here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHALL-B...233334?hash=item44570ccef6:g:l08AAOSwfZ1WZmOi

They, and their nuts, are IDENTICAL to the ones that are on my '74 Super Lead which, at least as far as those switches are concerned, is original and unmodified. Same-same. Same manufacturer, same parts. I see no difference in a side by side close examination.