Advise for YJM strat purchase

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by treetrunk, Sep 9, 2011.

1. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

Hey!
    I'm planning to purchase a YJM Strat brand new.
    1. Can someone please guide me on what's a good price on these I may expect to pay in the US - that which is considered a good deal?
    2. What's the difference between the latest YJM pickups on this instrument vs the older ones (models from 1-2 years ago)?
    Thanks!
    :wave:

2. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

3. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

$1,699 is pretty much the going price for a new YJM Strat these days. I have a red/rosewood 2004 YJM and a blue/maple 2005 YJM and they blow away anything else as far as what works for me. They get a GREAT Strat tone and the scallops will give you so much more contol over your strings for frictionless vibrato and power over string bending. Fender made changes to the YJM Strat in 2007 where they said they started going deeper with the scallops. My 2004 has deeper scallops than my 2005 does. Fender has always done the scalloping by hand so the depth can very, but in general they are digging deeper these days.

In 2007 Fender also started using machine screws instead of wood screws to bolt the YJM necks, and they switched from using aged plastic (with faint mint "greening") pickguards and went with white pickguards on the YJM's. Fender is also using the new Seymour Duncan Yngwie "Fury" pickups these days. My Strats have the old DiMarzio HS-3 in the bridge and Dimarzio YJM/HS-2's in the necks and middle positions. I am sure you will love the YJM, but you may need to dress or level the frets and re-cut the brass nut once you get it. Once these guitars get the TLC they did not receive before leaving the Fender factory, they just beat anything else out there in my opinion. My YJM's are set to float and I can pull up 1 1/2 steps. I can no longer drop the strings completely slack because the block hits wood. This set up works perfect for me (and Jeff Beck too). The back of the bridge sticks up some from the body because of the way it is set up. I use a Fender Super Bullet .009/.010 hybrid set of strings. I now have my YJM's set where I would not change a thing.:)

Fender Artist Series Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Watch this video if you need help keeping the vintage tremolo in tune. I also suggest that you lube all of the contact points (nut, saddles & string tree) with something like GHS Graph-it-All graphite paste. Your strings will not go out of tune when bending or using the bar as long as you stretch them well, lube the contact points and use the tuning method in this video. Simply drop the bar down each time you tune a string until the sting stays in tune when you pull up or down on the bar. Do this procedure for each string and your YJM's stock vintage tremolo will stay in tune just like a Floyd Rose.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oyc6slYRc[/ame]

JayCM800 and treetrunk like this.
  4. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

Thank you for this informative post!
    I wonder if it's a good idea to negotiate with the seller to do a setup before shipping?

5. John 14:6

Most places like Musician's Friend and Guitar Center's on-line store will not do something like that. There are sellers on ebay who may beat their prices and also throw in a set up. Be sure to check the sellers reviews and rating on ebay if you choose to go that route. Ed Romans in Las Vegas sells on line and they would probably set the guitar up as part of the deal. Sam Ash stores sometimes have YJM's in stock hanging on the rack and they might also be willing to set one up and ship it to you. The YJM from the factory should be more than playable, but once you play one that has been dialed in including getting the frets and nut just right, it will make you drool when playing the thing.:) You will make the Homer Simpson beer and doughnut face.:lol: The YJM Strat will not make you play any faster, but you will have more control over your strings. That is why Yngwie likes the scallops. I have never really had trouble pushing the strings sharp though it is easier to do or more noticeable when playing chords. Some people want to feel wood under their fingers and push harder than they normally would and push strings sharp. Just play like normal and you should be fine. I got a feel for the scallops really quick. The scalloped neck just felt so good and natural that after a week I started to wonder if the thing was still scalloped.:)

6. John 14:6

I forgot to mention that the YJM Strat was given a bullet truss rod back in 2007 also. All Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strats have had head stocks with bullet truss rods since 2007.

7. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

my advice is to trade it to me for my triamp.

8. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) I'd just buy a MIM and have Carnada Scallop it for you....

:lol::lol: TWIN

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  9. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

Thanks. Any other differences between the older models and the newer ones - I am looking at a 2011 model.
    I know the PUs are different. I read somewhere the necks (and also the tone) on the new ones have gone thinner - hope this is not true:fingersx:

10. John 14:6

I have not played one with the new Duncan pickups so I can not say first hand. The new Duncan pickups do get good reviews though. I have read that they are not quite as dark sounding as the DiMarzios so the brighter and higher output Duncan Fury's may be deemed to be "thinner" by some. As for the neck shape being thinner; the radius and C neck shape have not changed. My my 2004 YJM has deeper scallops than my 2005 and therefore the 2004 feels smaller or thinner in my hands due to more wood being dug out. Deeper scallops will make the neck feel different when you wrap your hand around it.

I can not think of any other changes to the YJM Strat that I have not already mentioned. As for the idea of purchasing a made in Mexico Strat and having someone scallop the neck, I would recommend against doing that. A MM Strat would most likely have lesser quality woods to start with. You would then need to pay someone $300 to scallop the neck. After that you need to spend more money replacing the cheap MM bridge, tuners, pickups and (plastic to brass) nut. You also would not be getting the YJM's tweed case. So you end up spending a lot of money on a guitar with significantly less Mojo and re-sale value than a real Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster. You could get a used YJM in mint or darn near mint condition from ebay and save yourself some cash that way.

treetrunk likes this.
  11. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

Thank you once again :)
    Nope, I am against the idea of getting something and spending more money to improve it/mod it/tweak it to kingdom come, and it applies to guitars also - thanks Twin, but the only MMs Id go for are the ones with chocolate on them ;)
    Even if it means waiting for something good but expensive, I'd rather choose this route.
    And so.......

John 14:6 likes this.
  12. racersteen68

racersteen68 New Member

2008 one .brilliant
    [​IMG]

John 14:6 likes this.
  13. John 14:6

A YJM will sound, feel and play like a high end Strat. They are GREAT guitars and you will cherish yours for the rest of your life. Have fun with it.:)

14. John 14:6

15. John 14:6

Here are some video clips of the new Seymour Duncan YJM Fury pickups. They sound pretty good to me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piwrMl6V-CE&feature=related"]YJM Seymour Duncan Fury Test (with a track) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEEwYBBVq0Y"]Fender USA - Yngwie Malmsteen modify - Sey mour Duncan - YJM Fury Pickup sound - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTBrIZ9EU4&feature=related"]STK-S10 YJM FURY[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eli2KaRq6tQ&feature=related"]LUIYI STRAT - SEYMOUR DUNCAN FURY TEST www.dontpaymusic.com/blackside - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleiYixNOI4&feature=related"]YJM Tribute (with seymour duncan Fury Pickups) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3rjx8pQ8ZQ&feature=related[/ame]

treetrunk likes this.
  16. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

Thank you for all the advise and information.

Do these YJM Strats come with the COA?
    Also, how can I verify the serial no of the guitar?
    Cheers!

17. John 14:6

If by COA you mean Certificate of Authenticity, they do not come with that.......unless you want to go for the $12,500 Yngwie Tribute Strat. The Tribute Strat comes with all sorts of documentation....I think they even give you Yngwie's phone number with that one.:lol: The serial number on a standard YJM Signature model is located on the back of the headstock. The neck plate will be completely blank. No serial number or Fender logo. Keep your receipt and hang tags also for documentation. I doubt you will ever sell it.:)

treetrunk likes this.
  18. treetrunk

treetrunk Active Member

That was amazing! Thank you!
    It's going to be the first time I'll end up playing a scalloped neck guitar, and the scalloping is aggressive on these strats, I read. May take just a little getting used to in the beginning.
    How did you find it first when you played these, and did it take you time to get very fluid on this kind of a neck?

19. John 14:6

I took to the scalloped board really quick. I always tell people that I was wondering if the thing was still scalloped a week after I had it. I played it a lot the first week when I would come home from work and the neck just felt so good and natural to me. I bought the blue 2005 one in January 2006 and the scallops are not super deep, but my fingers still do not touch wood. I bought the red one new in 2007. It is a 2004 YJM that had not sold and it has much deeper scallops so the neck feels thinner. I love them both.:)

20. carnada

carnada Well-Known Member

if u bend the guitar will go out of tune