Advice on 1959 build

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by Fren, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Fren

Fren New Member

Looking to build a '72 SL with master volume and FX loop mods. I'm looking at the 12 series chassis at Valvestorm, but am wondering which you guys prefer, the one that fits the Belton sockets, or the one that fits the Amphenol sockets. Those chassis use a laydown PT. Which brands/models do you prefer? I figured I'd get the chassis and iron out of the way first.

I've built several amps from kits, but have never sourced the pieces individually. I've heard there's some laydown transformer mojo, but I have no experience there. I had a '72SL years ago that Demeter put a master volume on and it sounded amazing, so I'm trying to recreate that.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Fren :cheers:.
    I would recommend you only build on a steel chassis and avoid aluminum.
    Amphenol sockets - which sockets specifically?
    Belton sockets are current production. If anything goes bad you need to be able to get parts easily.
    If Amphenol sockets are discontinued, then don't use them because you will have problems buying spares in the future.
    I would recommend only using ceramic sockets if there is a choice.
    You can PM me if you need any info....I'm here.

3. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

Welcome! I love Valvestorm but I prefer the TubeDepot Marshall 100W chassis. Valvestorm's have an extra hole in the front for a polarity switch that's not needed and looks ugly to me. It also costs more.

(Side question: does anybody know where else to find the tinned 22 awg hookup wire that only Valvestorm seems to have?)

4. Fren

Fren New Member

I saw the Tube Depot chassis as well, but it's not for a lay down transformer, which I hear some people like more than the stand up, and the polarity switch hole I could possibly use for a MV. Still haven't decided, as I'd like to hear from people regarding the whole standup/laydown differences.

5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The Amphenol cut chassis will accommodate the Amphenol ceramics and the Beltons (slotted sockets).
    All the 12 series chassis are steel - it is a non-issue here (insert rolling eyes emoticon!).
    The fact that the originals had x3 toggle holes seems to persistently exercise mAx - heaven knows why - the UK versions just covered them with the plexipanel and the US amps had a polarity switch there - can be useful if you want to put a PPIMV on the front.

If you want the best 12 series tones ('Brown sound') and can splash the cash then get Chris Merren's iron, but there is a gnat's whisker between them and the Marstran and Metro vesions of the Dagnalls. I also hear good things about the Classic tone versions but have not used them myself.

Fren and Exojam like this.
  6. Fren

Fren New Member

Can't find the Merren iron, and haven't received an email back from him yet.

Chris-in-LA likes this.
  7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

8. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

9. Fren

Fren New Member

Also, can I get away with the smaller 26x9x8 (approx) head cab or do I need the larger 29x10x9 (approx) head cab?

10. Fren

Fren New Member

I've left an email and a message with Merren. If I don't hear back, I'll give it a few days, then move on. There are lots of iron companies.

11. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

Merren is the best but I'd wish there was another builder of his level as an alternative for those times when he's not available...

12. junk notes

junk notes Active Member

False. OP is generally talking about the 1968 12 Series w/laydown trans not a '69 SL with cans on the outside. Little different values going on with the 1959/1992 inside & out ;-)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  13. junk notes

junk notes Active Member

False. OP is generally talking about the 1968 12 Series w/laydown trans not a '69 SL with cans on the outside. Little different values going on with the 1959/1992 inside & out ;-)

14. john hammond

john hammond Active Member

Buying a transformer from Chris Merren isn't a normal shopping experience, but his transformers aren't normal either. Worth the wait.