Achieving Angus Young Tone

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jhend1000, Feb 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

If you want to nail the Angus sound you'll need the SG, the Marshall and the Solo Dallas Storm pedal or the higher end Solo Dallas Schaffer Replica pedal.
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

& the right chords. I think tha acca dacca sound comes from abbreviated chords and basic lead scales? I also think the theory of keep it simple stupid & kick arse works very well for pub rock.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

A 1987x or a 1959SLP plugged straight in with no pedals will get you close I think but, only Angus will be 100% on the money.

ken361 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Nice playing and tone brother, my buddy Tracy used to play quite a bit of AC/DC in the late 70’s and early 80’s, in a band called Riff Raff, and from what I remember is he was using the NMV 50 watt amps, no mods, and a Gibson Explorer, and they had a singer that could seal the deal, ahh the good old days! Cheers Mitch

5. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Not to detail a thread, but Dee Snider claimed those guys from Krokus were a bunch of assholes... They contracted his wife to custom-tailor some costumes and outfits for their US shows, but they gave her the finger and didn't pay for services rendered....

For amp, get the Marshall Studio Vintage for that AC/DC toanz....

6. PierreG1979

PierreG1979 New Member

Your record is pretty good, but however, I think it's too bright vs Angus tone. It misses that little something that it's not the sound. I know it's close, but it's not this warm tone that He's looking at.

7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Mitchell Pearrow and PierreG1979 like this.
  8. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

This is what I'm getting at. Wrong guitar, Wrong speakers, Amateur guitarist, No pedals. Just plug straight in and you're almost there with these two amps.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. PierreG1979

PierreG1979 New Member

I bought the Storm Pedal and obviously, this pedal is great. I mean, I don't think you could classify this pedal as an effect like a compressor or a distortion. this pedal I think is more addition for shaping the final tone. You won't get more "gain" or sustains with this one, but you will get this 79' and early 80' tasty Ac Dc tone ( at least if you hit the perfect chords lol and classic pickups with your guitar). Maybe like many here, I am not a fan to line up pedals effects before plugging my jack into my amp (4212), but this one, maybe deserves its place just between the tuning pedal and the guitar. The last thing, this pedal won't cover your mistakes while hitting chords, unlike some pedals. this one won't tolerate any wrong notes, it will embellish if you pick all strings and mute these are not in the chord while hitting chords ... very good to work hard to correct your style lol

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  10. dro

dro Active Member

Just curious...Are you guys talking about the tones you "think" you remember from a live show? Or the tones off of any one record which has been played through any given amp through any given mic and pre. Eqed to fit the track. And then mastered with more EQ and Compression. And for the older recordings Remastered for MP3 And then...Played on what ever media that is relevant now days. CELL PHONE ? I was at the first ACDC show at Warner's Theater in Fresno Ca. back in the 70's. When ACDC was opening act for Aerosmith. Had all the LPs, 8 Tracks and Cassettes. When albums were king. Days of Bon Scott. Believe me when I say, Highway To Hell sounds completely different than it used to.

11. Robus

Robus Active Member

Use boost mode on the clean channel. Dime the master volume. Turn up the gain until you hear that crunch. Push the midrange. No pedals. PS: play loud.

12. PierreG1979

PierreG1979 New Member

I think, like many bands the signature sound is mostly holds by the period of the album and the producer. For me, I was interested in the late 70’s and early 80’s Ac/Dc tone. So this replica (this is not an effects as other pedal do) of the wireless device used by Angus at this time sounds very close to this warm tone you can hear in those records. At that time, many Hard rock band (Black Sabbath for instance) had a high gain tone instead of Ac/dc. Many folks here just have the simple idea of just tuning the gain knob to 8 or 10... many amps sounds better without gaining the sound...
    you are a lucky man to have see Ac dc in this period!

13. dro

dro Active Member

Thanks;
    I feel I'm lucky to have survived that period. As too much 70's was detrimental to the health of the generation. Those who lived through it know what I mean. Read any of my posts, and you will see, I'm a big fan of the JTM 45. This is in part due to Angus .
    As well as say , Clapton (Bluesbreaker). Early Lynnard Skynnard. Using a JTM 45 Dimed gets you an overdrive tone you can't get anywhere else. Tried for years to find "(That)" tone buying cheaper amps , Waisting money on this pedal or that. Passing on Gibson guitars. Opting to buy 2 lesser for the price of one. When I started to acquire amps to record with one of the first I got, was an old beat up JTM 45 RI, with a 1960 BX cab. Got it to the studio, (jumped the channels) plugged in a Lester, and cranked it....and Bliss. I never wanted to chase anybody's tone again. I had found mine. Although I did eventually pick up a Thunderstruck SG, a 61 RI and love the tones that come out of them. Eventually got the JMP 2204 and the JCM 800 4104, Even lugged around Bluesbreaker for a while which comes in at a very close second, tone wise..but man that thing is heavy. as well as various others. Would like to try the Astoria, just afraid if I tried one I'd have to find a way to pay for it. The elusive tone is still the cranked JTM 45 through a quad of greenbacks. If you can find that tone anywhere else I'd like to know about it. Just know you will waist a lot of time and money looking for it.

PierreG1979 likes this.
  14. RobV

RobV Member

Except he doesn't use them himself....he uses hot rodded duncans.

15. RobV

RobV Member

I am a fan, I finally got to see them in Detroit in 2016. Rumor is they are going to do 1 more tour with Brian.
    [​IMG]

16. MoreAmpsPlease

MoreAmpsPlease Active Member

Stock speaker is not helping. I know, I have one. Do yourself a favor and get a Scumback (best/most expensive) or scrounge an old Celestion 65W from the 80's off of Reverb. WGS ET65 also a good repro of the old blackback celestions of the seventies. Once you hear a really good speaker, you can't go back.

And yeah, overdrive the clean channel. Angus is all about that cranked output tube sound.

Scumback Speakers and RobV like this.
  17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I was there in Detroit 1981 my first concert:)

RobV likes this.
  18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Dont forget they goosed there amps with a hot bias:)

19. dro

dro Active Member

If you look at the PG ACDC rig rundown they go through his complete rig. They will tell you all the ins and outs. But the number one thing you should pay attention to is the voltage they run into the amps. They use a KIKUSUI power supply set at 236.1 volts.
    Have you ever run your amp At the 240 mode? It will be a completely different amp.

Neil Skene and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That makes a lot of sense, in the not so far past, the guys in the UK’s amps where known to sound better than the one’s being shipped to the US, and quite a few people could point the difference’s in the power supply area! Cheers Mitch