About 4 Months Along With My New To Me JVM 205H

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by HeavyRevy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. HeavyRevy

HeavyRevy Active Member

Well I've had my "new to me" JVM 205H about 4 months and I just love it! Amazed the cleans sound as good as they do with my Tele, Strat, and my G&L S-500. Get a super nice Strat spank and actually does the country thing pretty good. And then Green mode on the lead channel with a Tele and a slide and it's basically flipping up the middle finger to the world and saying, "take that!" It's just absolutely rude! And I love it! Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside! Thank you Jim Marshall!

2. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Nice! I just got a 210H that I'm in the process of getting it re-tubed and biased. Great amp for sure. Do you have a foot switch with yours? If so, 6 button or 4 button?

There's another thread regarding JVM foot switches and we're getting conflicting info on whether or not the six button works on the JVM2.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello and as a JVM owner since 2008, I welcome you to the family of JVM owners!

You description is pretty typical: JVM's sound great with a variety of guitars and variety of genres. I used to use a 1989 Fender USA Strat Plus with gold lace sensor pickups that sounded fantastic, but I also used a 2010 Gibson USA Les Paul Deluxe that absolutely killed on every channel and mode. Over the years I found that it's really up to the player to customize their sound, but it's definitely in there somewhere.

In addition to guitars, effects also sound particular great: pedals, multi-effects, or racks systems sound impressive. Determine what effects and what placement, and you're good to do. You might need to do move things around to determine what works best for you, but many owners state their old effects systems sound very good once the details are worked out when going from one amp to another.

IJVM amps sound great with different speakers. I ran G12C speakers in a 4x12 model 425B, G12T-75 speakers in 4x12 model 1960, Vintage 30's in 4x12, Creambacks in 4x12, WGS green beret 4x12, Celestion G12H-90 in 2x12 (my current choice), and they all sound unique and very good in the JVM. Try 'em all (or as many as you can) and see what works best for your needs.

Last, I played my stock 410H alongside some of the most iconic amp makes and models in the past and in every instance my 2008 410H has more than held it's own. For JVM owners wondering how their amp will sound next to Mesa-Boogie Dual Rec, whether their JVM will be drowned out by a EVH 5150, whether their JVM will sound less than spectacular against a vintage Marshall-all I can say is pick your favorite guitar, your favorite speaker, and go with confidence that the JVM will do more than simply hold it's own.

Good luck with your gear and enjoy!

4. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I can't take the gain above about 3.5 on my 215C. I tighten it up a bit with a Klon style boost.

Using my HELIX in 4CM to switch channels with midi and for FX. It's a pretty versatile rig.

HeavyRevy and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I have a JVM205H I've owned since 2012. I absolutely love it. It's a beast man! I also just bought an SV20 and that's been my goto Marshall lately but mostly because of the size and the smaller venues I play. AND I own a G&L S500! Great combo! But the JVM and a Les Paul is Rock and Roll Nirvana man! Congrats on the amp and hope you enjoy it for a long time like I have!

HeavyRevy and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your tone quest, and your new to you JVM.
    Cheers Mitch

HeavyRevy likes this.
  7. HeavyRevy

HeavyRevy Active Member

Yes, I run the original 4 button foot switch and seem to get along fine. I run a loop pedal also, so I don't normally switch amp modes on the fly.
    If I do, I use a dirt pedal ahead of the looper. Switched amp modes for the first time while looping. Realized that we're are definitely going to have to rethink our signal chain!

8. HeavyRevy

HeavyRevy Active Member

Running a custom 1x15 cab with a Celestion Fullback 15. An insanely good speaker! Seems to almost have a bloom to it!

9. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I've read up on the Fullback 15 (very appealing to me), but I haven't tried it yet. From your description, I'm gonna have to track one down and try it. Speakers are a great way to tweak the sound of almost any amp, but certainly with the JVM2 and JVM4 amps.

Thanks for your input.

BanditPanda likes this.
  10. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

JVM users...get a midi controller and forget the Marshall footswitch.
    Get sooo much more use out of the head.

Sacalait likes this.