A Simple Novice Inquiry....Important, though.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Boxtrot56, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Well-Known Member

Good friends
    I changed out my very first set of strings last week, successfully and boy does it make a difference!!
    The old strings were 9s, replacements ditto.
    Now then, I wouI'd really like to have a go at putting 10s onto my PRS SE 245, but wondered if doing so would mean adjustments needed with the intonation?
    It sounds slightly foolish my asking, and yet I seriously don't know, and want to know and learn!!
    It seems to me (mostly) unlikely, with a simple 1 size up, but this is guesswork only from me.....the guitar was Plekd and set up really very nicely at purchase, 6mths ago.....likely too, that intonation adjustment, if required, might even be within my capabilities, with a bit of care....but I'd be happier if it wasn't needed, IYKWIM.
    As always, deepest thanks for any and all assistance! :) :) :)

2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

https://www.libertyparkmusic.com/ways-to-change-guitar-strings-guide/
    https://www.guitarrepairbench.com/electric-guitar-repairs/adjust-intonation-electric-guitar/

Climate changes affect us and our guitars.

Woods react to humidity and temperatures just like we do.

Whenever I change my guitar strings, I lemon oil the fret board..............I should say not all the time and, when you lemom oil the board, don't drown it.

Make sure you wipe away excess lemon oil after the board absorbs what it needs.

Don't be afraid to adjust the truss rod.

When I do this, I turn the truss rod slowly.

Don't gorilla gripe the rod.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...e_nervous_about_adjusting_that_truss_rod.html

I also stretch the strings/pull them to get any play out that will affect tunings.

It's almost a matter of fact thing to do without thing about it.

A well set up guitar makes playing easy and more pleasureable.

I often refer to:

https://www.stewmac.com/

You learn all the time.

Have fun.

3. Boxtrot56

Good advice Axe....and thx for reminding me 're Lemon Oil, which I'll grab tomorrow along with a set of strings. Didn't oil the neck last week on my other guitar, but gave everything a really good clean down before re-stringing. Will get that one next time.

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Be careful with lemon oil—you shouldn’t use that more than once a quarter. And then just a light coating then wipe.

5. Boxtrot56

Thanks buddy.....Yes, I had recently read to not go ape shit with it, or use it too often etc.
    I've read more than a few articles that positively state to not use it at all, (without really saying why!!) but the majority seem advocates and, it makes a lot if sense to use it, just to do so judiciously.

Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  6. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

I use 9's. I set up my guitars up for them. Sometimes I want the action a little higher (like for slide) so I'll install a set of 10's. That seems to get the strings up just high enough. Very rarely do I fiddle with the truss rod once I have the relief set. Guitars in rotation get a string change every gig and every time I record. That means basically once a week. Most of my guitars have rosewood fretboards. I liberally apply, as in soaking wet, lemon oil or guitar honey every string change and have for many years with no ill effects. I had to re-fret my old warhorse (59 Junior) and it came out fine. I also soak the board with Finger Ease every time I play. I like my guitars real slippery.:yum:

I wouldn't mess with the intonation unless you hear something is out of whack after you make the change and have played it a bit. My two main guitars right now, a Special and a Junior, have non-adjustable for intonation bridges. You just have to tune them a certain way and play them a certain way. Trial and error over the years on those type guitars will inform your style.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

And not on maple fret boards!

netlocal, tallcoolone and Boxtrot56 like this.
  8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

If yoUr PRS SE 245 had 10's on it from the factory then it is already set up properly and intonation should not be a problem.
    If you are indeed a novice then intonation will not be an issue for you yet.
    BP

9. Boxtrot56

@netlocal
    Thank you for your advice and expertise.....seriously, the last thing I want to do, is mess with the intonation in any way. Both guitars I ordered last year came beautifully set up - it was more an issue of does it change, generally, with putting on new set of 10s, when it was set up with 9s?
    I'm not even sure I need 10s, and really, it would be just to try a set, as I need to change strings on one guitar.
    I think I might just stick with 9s, as I'm not having any issues with them at all.
    Learning, learning!! :) :)

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Boxtrot56

Was fully set up and Plekd with 9s
    I am doing ok with the 9s, just simple curiosity, as to my possible preference of 10s.
    Not sure if it's a good idea to change to 10s, as I am beginner/intermediate player, BanditP.

11. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I would expect a change to 10's to affect intonation and action slightly. Maybe not enough to bother a lot of people, but I'm pretty anal about that stuff. I check/adjust intonation and action with every string change (and relief if it still doesn't feel right). It is pretty easy stuff to learn and a well-adjusted guitar is a joy to play.

12. Boxtrot56

@Trumpet Rider
    My other guitar, the PRS Custom 24 that was restrung last week by replacing its 9s, plays as great as it did from new.
    I'm now convinced, at least at this stage, to not change up to 10s - it's only curiosity that's having me consider it, and I'm not savvy enough yet to know what I'm doing, certainly as regards having to mess with intonation.......not yet at the point where I can properly know how to bail myself out of trouble if needed etc.
    I know I could always take it to the shop, but financially, that's something I need try and avoid unless absolutely necessary.
    It's great to get your opinions and knowledge though, something these forums are incredible for. I'll be wise before too long!! (Well, wiser, at least!)

Mitchell Pearrow and netlocal like this.
  13. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

My guitar tech swears if you change string gauge you should check neck and adjust truss. I change string gauge from time to time and never had an issue.

14. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

15. Boxtrot56

@axe4me
    Nice one Axe, thx mate.......a good reference video - although I might clean off all the scuzzyness on the fretboard before lemon oiling it up. (For me, to my shame, my guitar hasnt been played enough yet to get scuzzed up too much!)
    The dude did fess up his error, mind!!
    I also need to grab a string winder, borrowed a mates last week, they're a lot more useful than one might believe.

Mitchell Pearrow and netlocal like this.
  16. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

All the elements of a string change are something every guitarist should get to know. Don't be afraid of ruining a guitar with only a change of one gauge (e.g. 9s to 10s). There will be a slight upset to the setup by changing to 10s, but you may not notice the difference as they may be overshadowed by the overall feel of a change to the heavier gauge. Fretting will be slightly harder and your fingertips will not thank you (at first). String bends will be slightly harder too (fingertips getting grumpy). The tone of the guitar should improve slightly too, a little bit louder (acoustically and amplified) and richer. I do not know the style of music you play, but a heavier gauge will allow you to try tuning down 1/2 a step to E-flat or a drop-D tuning.

If you are unsure of whether 10s are a good idea for you, you could simulate the feel of 10s by tuning your guitar UP 1/2 a step to F standard. This will upset the guitar action, intonation and tension in a similar way, but it is free and reversible.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any truss issues and I have hone from 10 to 9 before. I also went from 10 to 11 to 10 and now 9 over a few years with one axe and still didnt have to adjust truss. I dunno. Maybe I'm just lucky or stupid!!

SlapHand and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Just stick with 9's is my advice.

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

A happy guitar means that you're happy.

Billy Gibbons plays with .007 gauge.

Use whatever makes it fun.

El Gringo likes this.
  20. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I believe you should check intonation when going from 9 to 10. Bad intonation is most noticeable when you put on a capo and play a chord.