A MAJOR question.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Matthews Guitars, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

As you probably know by now, I make restoration front and rear panels for metal face JMP era Marshalls.

I'm working on expanding into making plexi panels as well. While there are some places that you can already get SOME replica plexi panels, I propose to offer the ones that others aren't making. Such as correctly marked rear panels for Super Bass, Super Tremolo, Super Lead, Master volume versions of those with script lettering, Majors, etc.

I've had very little exposure to the Major models as of yet. So here's the question:

Which versions and years featured metal face and rear panels?

Which versions and years featured plexi face and rear panels?

I can't just ASSUME that they are all plexi. Majors were made after 1969, but I can't assume that they transitioned to metal panels as did the Super Lead at that time.

solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

Matthew I can't say about all majors. but mine seems to be a 69 and it has plexi in the front. Currently I'm out of home but I will return tonight and I´ll check if the back is metal or plexi. I think it is plexi and I´d like to buy the major reproductions if you manufacture them.

3. Matthews Guitars

I will definitely be making panels for Majors. What remains to be determined is, metal, plexi, or both?

Feel free to post front and back pictures of any Major you have that needs panels. There are a couple of variations on the type, that much I'm sure of.

I have some versions of artwork completed, and ready for cross-check to verify that it's correct.

4. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

By any chance do you make panels for a 2553 jubilee (the 50 watt origianl) mine is really tore up. [​IMG]

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

I can't help.Mine is plexi but it's early, 67 or 68.

6. Matthews Guitars

Again, I am currently ONLY making JMP era gold anodized brush finished panels. Not doing chrome anything. Not YET doing even plexi panels.
    Not doing JCM800 series, or JCM900, or anything newer. JMP ONLY at this time.

1958, 1959, 1968, 2203, 2204, super lead, bass, tremolo, master volume lead, bass, major.

I'm focused on providing the panels that are for amps that are old enough to be likely to need them. Amps that are 40 years old and more.

It's going to be a LONG time OR a hefty extra charge to make one-off panels like a chrome panel for a silver jubilee. That'd require new materials and access to an original to create the artwork for it. Maybe some day there'll be enough demand to make it worth doing. As of now I've had ONE request for that,
    and that'd be a panel that'd cost you 500 bucks in order to make it worth my while.