'84 4010 + 1933 cab w/ real G12-65 value?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bigragu63, Sep 1, 2019.

1. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Thinking about selling my vintage rig. What do y'all think is a fair asking price?

Both pieces are in excellent condition, with original tolex, grill cloth and handles. They've been kept in my climate controlled, smoke free studio for the last 13 years with the exception of a few gigs here and there.

The amp is made for USA with 6550 power tubes, retains all of its original jacks, pots, knobs, switches, Drake transformers, and components except for new F&T filter and Sprague Atom bias supply caps.

The circuit is true to the original schematic. I did relocate the 68K input resistor from the PCB to Pin 7 of V1 socket using shielded wire back to the high input jack, and also replaced the signal wire from the preamp volume pot to Pin 2 of V1 socket with shielded wire to reduce noise and eliminate a squeal that used to happen when the preamp volume was turned past 9 with the factory wiring.

The amp works perfectly, sounds incredible, and has no scratchy pots.

The 1933 cab has a vintage 80's, 15 ohm Rola Celestion G12-65 that has no issues whatsoever and produces AC/DC-like tones when powered by this amp.

So, what's it worth? Any and all opinions are appreciated!

20190901_212214.jpg 20190901_212630.jpg 20190901_213327.jpg 20190829_221343.jpg 20190819_214848.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have the same amp in mint condition, like new actually and I paid 1600.00 for it locally back in February! The Seller has the matching 1X12 cab and said he might sell it down the road and would be asking 600.00 for it. So I would say about 2200.00 - 2300.00 for the set or more if you can get it.

WholeLottaGlove likes this.
  3. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Thanks MD, I appreciate the input, and encouraged by your numbers.

Been checking ebay, reverb, etc. Not many of these combos for sale right now, and can't even find one 1933 cab, making it tough to determine a realistic and fair price to ask.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

True, they are very very hard to find!

5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Nice set !
    I have no idea what they're going for ,as Im way out of touch with the scene....and I aint sellin mine

scozz likes this.
  6. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Member

I'd say at $2000 it should move quickly. I see 4010's for $1200 but probably not as nice as yours. But you've got the WGS in it not the G12-65. Either way GLWS.

7. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Thanks brother!

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Man that’s in great shape @bigragu63!!

I’m curious how those amp, made for the USA, sound with those 6550s instead of EL34s?

You sure you really want to sell that beauty?

9. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, unfortunately I only have the one G12-65 and although it is by far my favorite speaker in the amp, it rightly belongs to the 1933 cab. Technically, the amp came to me with a G12M-70, which I still have, and actually sounds ok in the amp. But, after previewing at least 6 of the common celestions, both new and vintage, plus a few oddbal pulls from old amps and cabs, the WGS Invader 50 is my second choice behind the G12-65. Of course, that's all according my ear and my prefference.

Musicmaniac likes this.
  10. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Thanks scozz! Yeah, I'm sure.

I've had the privilege of owning, playing, and caring for this amp for the last 13+ years and it's time for the next proud owner to enjoy and care for it! I've built a bunch of clones with various amounts of mods to suit different gig needs, and this one just stays at home under its cover for safe keeping nowadays. Plus, I just bought an 85 Iroc Z, 5 speed, t top, father/son project car that needs an engine and a paint job!

At the risk of redirecting the thread topic, and only in my humble opinion... Having played both 6550 and el34 powered 800's, I would simply say that with the 6550, the amp seems to be a bit louder and have a bit more clean headroom in the power amp than el34's. And, that the 6550's have a little more bass, and shimmer from ringing chords, and in the case of this particular amp can get some very convincing Malcolm and Angus tones with a little knob fiddling.

scozz likes this.
  11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried EL34s in that particular 800?

I’m assuming they are interchangeable, but I really don’t know that for sure?

12. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Sorry for the duplicate post

13. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

I did try it with EL34's, and it sounded very good, but I liked the sound with the 6550's just a little better, so I changed it back.

You have to change a few resitors for the conversion. It's like a 30 minute job from chassis out to chassis back in.

14. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@bigragu63

What a "cute" little mini-stack! I do know that if I had that great little 4010 stack, there would come a day that I'd seriously regret letting it go! :facepalm: This is even more true, now that I've been introduced to the volume liberation of using the attenuators developed by our industrious member @JohnH ! Once that son is out driving around in that IROC-Z, you'll likely be having plenty of "you" time for amp enjoyment! The car project sounds like fun, with a stick! :dude:

Just as a curiosity, I'd love to hear about those other Marshall units in the background. Wondering waht the added toggle switches might do? :scratch:

Thanks,
    Gene

15. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Thanks Gene! We also have a '79 Z28, so now we can go to cruise night each in our own car. I'll be driving the IROC!

Those amps were all solid state amps that I converted to classic tube circuits, so those toggles are standby switches on the front. But there are several "trick" switches on the back!

The 1x10 Lead 20 combo is an 18 watt, EL 84 powered 4 hole Plexi style amp with a 10" Greenback that I use for rehearsal and small gigs.

The two 1x12 combos were 5210's.
    One is now a EL34 powered 4 hole Plexi with an effects loop, pentode/triode switch, pull bright on the bright channel preamp volume knob, a JCM800 style pre phase inverter master volume, and a PPIMV.

The other has all of that stuff, plus a 4th preamp tube with a switch to reconfigure the bright channel to be either Plexi or JCM800, and 3 position selector to switch between 3 different negative feedback resistor values. Cool thing with that one is, you can still jump the JCM800 channel with the normal channel for some versatility.

Musicmaniac likes this.
  16. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@bigragu63
    Well you seem to have your tonal bases well covered, although that 4010 and it's matching cab are "The Real Deal!" Of course, bein' "The Real Deal" is the reason that they'll bring some fairly good and useful $$$$.
    Best To ya,
    Gene

17. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

Sorry Bud, I'm not trying to derail your thread but can you maybe start another one over your modded combos ? I'm really interested in them and would love to hear some clips. Thank you in advance.

Musicmaniac likes this.
  18. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

No problem. I'll let you know when I start the new post.

Musicmaniac and Drinkingdeath01 like this.
  19. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Member

I'm interested myself.:hmm:

20. bigragu63

bigragu63 Member

Heading out to go on a joyride with my son around New England today in a Corvette Z06 that he rented for us to do so. What a good son!

Will start the new thread on the combos tonight.

Have a great day!

Musicmaniac likes this.