'72 Jmp 50 (canadian)

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Metalone72, Jan 22, 2017.

1. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Been there and done that, Kris.

In my world sadly, lessons are learned the hard way. Tech did ok how he replaced parts but still not sure it needed them after doing so. He failed to return my supposed blown Drake Power transformer as instructed to do so. He replaced tubes and recapped, yet after both incidents, amp still blows fuses.

Weird how I take an amp twice to get " blows fuses" problem fixed and amp still blows fuses.

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Time to dump that "tech"...

Mine is amazing..just a great, old school wizard...he did mine while I waited, and explained every step of the way.

And returned ALL of my parts..which were junk, but returned anyways..I'm sure he had no use for worn out week 43 of 72 Plessley bias caps...

Check him out!

http://deanzink.com/

Maybe you could ship it to him..you'd only have to do it once, because he WILL fix it.

3. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

I already dumped that Jerk.
    Will Keep Deanzink in mind for sure, brother Kris. Thanks

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Dang Kris, a ton has happened since we last talked here. I couldn't remember where we talked last. I went to MLP and no luck, then it clicked in here.

I was working on my amps and learning diagnosing and schematics etc.
    Decided to take time to see what it would take to fix my high gain jack on my Laney AOR 50 Pro Tube Lead head.

Opened her up and found out a mouse was in da house. He chewed some insulation off some wires and even might have chewed a cap or resistor. Not sure how much wires he got as some go under the board. Looks like I will be needing to pull the board anyway as someone who worked on the amp previously didn't get the output transformer bolts tightened down enough and it was only held to the chassis by 2 of the 4 original bolts.

So, it looks like my amp repairs are definitely mushrooming in difficulty.
    First a Vintage Modern with defective heaters in the KT66's, 2nd my JMP that is killing mains fuses, and now a mouse eaten Laney.

Just going to have to be patient, Huh dude.
    Also, I may eventually see if your amp guy can look over all my work to see if I missed anything once I get them diagnosed and repaired with all I know how to test for.

Hope you are doing great.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Kris Ford likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Oh shit...a mouse??

Somewhere I have seen a pic of an old tweed with a mouse skeleton in it somewhere...but more seriously, Dean could take care of it...but I *think* he is way backlogged...so hoping you can get it sorted. Some good folks here, hope to have you up and rockin' ASAP...when my '74 JMP started becoming ill, I was seriously bummed..even with a perfectly healthy '78 2203 in the room...

Hope you are good too!!
    I'm a crazy busy guy, sorry if I don't get back with ya right away.

Hope you can sort it out brother!

Oh yeah..you still have your black SG...right?

6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Yep Kris, still have it and my other 2.

As for the mouse, I can see how it could easily get in there. The Laney back panel has a screen up top to let air in, but at the low end of the panel is a gap between it and the chassis, then my chassis has extra holes in it that are for 100 Watt version to add tubes and extra caps. I will be adding some custom made plated to screw into the chassis once I fix everything.

I better go get my Fender open back Red Knob The Twin,,,,,,,, But I think all it's holes are sealed by tubes, etc.

Kris Ford likes this.
  7. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Member

Good NEWS Kris.
    With the help of Neil (Nekeil) IvanH, DonP from SG land, and a lot of reading and some test tools, I managed to get my JMP back making nice musical sounds instead of what sounded like scary self imploding erratic sounds. No more awful moaning hum like when I first turned it on a month or so ago. No more snubber caps, but I did fix some poorly installed wires to wrong places, some resistors that needed cleaning up, and a pair of Screen grid resistors to address that issue for my modern EL34 tubes. Unless I find some awful unexpected issues while trying to bias it, Biasing and maybe cleaning pots and jacks will be all I need to do before calling it ready to rock again.

Thanks again for telling me about Dean. I will file him in back of my memory if I need a good guy.

Hope to have equal good luck fixing the Laney next. Having to sort out the mouse's wiring snack job, will be an experience I am sure.

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. Kris Ford

Great!!!!
    I know how bummed I was when my '74 was down, glad you got it sorted!