'72 Artiste Outa Mothballs

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by AlvisX, Feb 16, 2017.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I got this amp in a state of disrepair (as I do most of my sh*t)
    I decided I needed a spare 50 watter and modded this amp pretty close to 1986 specs about 14 years ago ...only difference is I used a 220uf bypass cap rather thhan 330 and I used a 250pf brite cap. As one who appreciates Marshall history,I kinda regret doin' the mods .........but hey,tone is tone ......
    I probably hadn't gigged with it since 2011 maybe ..it's been sittin apart in my closet since ,waitin for some TLC .I think I'd robbed the power tubes out of it ,like some GE 7581's or somethin like that .
    My GF's place and mine are 6hrs away ,so when I go to my house ,I grab a handful of "projects" to take back with me ...this one finally made the list .

I had a box of mixed up EL 34s at her house and found a couple that matched up fairly well .
    Slapped it back together n fired it up .Sounding pretty good . Now Im pissed (that doesnt mean drunk,English guys) that I forgot the back panel .I think this thing's ready to get back in the van

[​IMG]

I got a little clip ,although it's hard to get a good sound in this room
    No. dont listen on your fckn phone !

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    neikeel, Dogs of Doom, wntbtw and 2 others like this.
  2. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

Need gut shots! These are awesome conversions!
    I assume your mixing the clean channel and the 1986 channel after the cathode follwers Tone stack and after the cleans recovery stage with 470ks?

I have a old Artiste 74' PCB chassis and a Artiste cream turret board that I will be building in to the concept above.. Ill be doing the lead circuit with one of the inputs being a Hot rod input.

Need input on how you mixed the channels!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Nah, it's just like a regular Marshall /Bassman ....V1a / V1b outputs to 470k mixers to V2b grid to cathode follower to tone stack.....
    The tricky part is layin out the controls ...which now read from right to left.. (a strategic piece of terminal strip can help)
    Normal Vol
    Treble
    Bass
    Brite Vol
    Mid (formerly Ch 2 treb)
    Master (formerly Ch 2 bass)
    Reverb -not hooked up ,but I might do it if I get a tank and figure out how to switch it
    Pres

http://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/1986u.gif

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    stickyfinger likes this.
  4. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member

Awesome Alvis!

5. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

That has a glorious sound :) The mods you did are easy to change. Minor cap changes dont matter much to me when purchasing a vintage amp. It is kinda fun to "detail" it anyway. The overall condition, lack of extra holes, and trandformers are 99% of it, to me.
    I have one '71 50 watt head that was a lead spec, but had the .1 mustards on the final coupling caps instead of .022, and no
    bright cap. Kinda like a bass/PA spec. but with split cathode like a lead.
    It was Canadian so who knows...but it sure sounds fat and juicy :)

AlvisX likes this.
  6. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Sounds righteous to me.

7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

That's a Hammond output tranny in there ......I have the real one ,I just don't know where it is . I thought it was in my van ,but it must be in my shop in Memphis...with the back panel

The Artiste.....The Marshall Bandmaster Reverb....:rolleyes:
    I suppose an Artiste would make an OK "pedal platform" .Man....I just can't do pedal platform. If Im playin a tube amp, THAT's where I wanna get my tone !

[​IMG]

I kinda like the Artiste Combo cabinet . It has this whacked out Bluesbreaker look. Im not sure what I'd do to mod a PCB Artiste if I had one . Maybe a tone stack disable on one channel and add a passive tone control ,like I do on Silverface Bandmasters and the like :scratch:

8. liontato

liontato Active Member

Alvis, that amp sounds great! Great playing and I liked how when you played a few simpler passages that the amp made them sound great. Some miss the fact that a great amp can make a few notes sound beautiful because of the quality of the amplified signal....as opposed to playing a thousand notes to get a sonic rush on an inferior amplified signal.

Could you elaboarate on the silverface mod you just mentioned? I have a silverface bassman with dual channels and that sounds interesting. Mine is a 72 and modding is easy. I understand the tone stack bypass on one channel. I assume an a/b box and that is your lead channel. What is the passive tone control mod on the other channel? A mid pot that opens the tone stack a little?

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Well, when I do my thing on a bassman head , I do the same thing I did to this Artiste ......a straight up tweed .I don't know what shortcuts other guys do when they do their so called "plexi" mods on the bassman,but me ....straight tweed

This is my main gig amp these days...It's lightweight ,killer tone and relplaceable. The control layout on this one is (left to right)
    Normal Vol
    Treble
    Bass
    Brite Vol
    Mid (formerly treb)
    Presence (formerly bass)
    The deep switch is now a .68uf cathode bypass on V2a
    The brite switch is 250pf
    Post phase inverter master in the back

[​IMG]

Rear view . It now has a Classic Tone 4/8/16 tranny in there ,but the clip below was with the factory '76 bassman tranny
    [​IMG]

Now, with those other silver amps,Champs ,bandmasters .....a quickie way to go is to lift a leg of that resistor that goes between the tone stack & ground. I also lift one or both of the cathode bypass caps .Those caps are what ,IMO,makes those amps sound "splatty" when you try & overdrive 'em

It's pretty much what I did on the trem channel of this amp ,except I think I hardwired a .022 coupling cap between the tube stages
    I made the treble pot hole a tone control.Can't remember what value pot I used ...I'll just say 250k,wired up like a guitar tone control with a .01 cap.Mostly ,I do that to cut some highs when I play harmonica out of 'em
    I made the bass pot a presence control

10. liontato

liontato Active Member

That's one of the best tweed mods I've ever heard. I've messed around with my bassman and my tweed mods don't sound this good. Right now I have the amp wired to blonde bassman specs. It sounds good but I like the amp to break up at reasonable volume. Not everyone can play auditoriums like Brian Setzer and use that kind of volume, which sounds amazing. I may try some of these. Thank you for sharing as that is a wealth of information!

11. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

Killer tone and playing as always Alvis.

12. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Sonofab****....Never a dull moment
    So I finish puttin together the guitar in this thread
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/gumby-green.95186/
    and my 1st thought was ....plug it into a Marshall and see how it sounds,right ?
    So I plug it in flip the standby ...sounds good ,only it's beginning to hum ...and the hum is gettin louder....Expletive ,EXPLETIVE !
    I know that sound ...the sound of an amp that's not gettin' it proper bias voltage .Sure enough ,I look in the back and the EL-34s are sizzlin red ...ALL STOP !

Im thinkin , well,I never did rebuild the bias supply on this one in all the years I've had it . I open it up ,everything looks good ,reads good ...Then I saw it, the connection from the standby switch to the bias supply had opened
    Just one o' those things ...a 45 year old solder joint let loose
    Oh well, glad it didn't happen on the road

Back in biz. I used the amp on the job Friday nite with the 1965 cab...Yeah,I STONEHENGED it.
    Performed great !

13. strato2009

strato2009 Active Member

The artiste is a great amp and underpriced, I bet they can be easily modded, too if the stock tone is unsatisfactory.