70's Boston & Styx Tone?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by RickyLee, Dec 30, 2013.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I came upon this show on youtube a few nights ago. I started watching it out of curiosity just for a few minutes to see how this new singer would stack up. And I ended up watching the entire show LOL.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tFmGxHKEE]Styx ~ The Grand Illusion - Pieces of Eight (Full Concert) - YouTube[/ame]

I was never that much of a Styx fan. I had the Grand Illusion album when I was 14 and loved it. But anyway, I was floored at how good a guitar player Tommy Shaw is. And it turns out that he plays a few of my fave Styx solos that I always thought JY played. Interesting. And the other thing that just floored me on this show was the GUITAR TONE! Shaw had an amazing tone and JY had this crazy controlled feedback with a very heavy midrange voiced tone.

Then after that, there was this link to a live Boston show from '79. But someone posted on the page that it was actually 1978. I have always appreciated what Tom Scholz did for guitar tone and his studio wizardry. But what blew me away was his solo at 0:50:49. Yeah, this well after EVH was doing this. But was Scholz doing this way back around 1976 or earlier as well?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqK99xTYYAs]Boston Live at Giants Stadium June 1979 Full Concert - YouTube[/ame]

SwampThing, CaptainZero and zachman like this.
  2. mott555

mott555 Well-Known Member

I saw Boston a couple years ago. Most bands have walls of Marshall cabinets. Scholz had walls of rackmount gear. It looked like a datacenter's server room was on stage with him.

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  3. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I have the Styx DVD from above. I didn't check it, but I believe there is a behind the scenes where a tech talks about the gear used for this show.

JY - Soldano 100
    Tommy Shaw - Marshall TSL-60 (modded with an upgraded transformer and choke)

The backline with Plexi's is for show.

Great concert and two of my favorite Styx LP's! The singer regrettably plays with his back to the audience over 1/2 the concert???

DP

4. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Styx on the Grand Illusion tour was my very first concert. Great album with great songs.
    I've seen them many times since, I was a big fan.

stax likes this.
  5. Adwex

Adwex New Member

I know Tommy did other things, but did JY ever branch out after Styx' heyday? I never heard of him in anything else.

6. Cadblaster

Cadblaster Well-Known Member

Another Styx fan here.
    They've come thru here quite a few times in the last few years (House of Blues in MB), always a good show. Spent a lot of time transcribing Tommy Shaw's leads. :D

7. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Ah yes....that young man from Montgomery and the old band Harvest did pretty well when he left Bill's Bowling Alley.

8. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

This is way off topic sorry! I was reading your signature and, I noticed you got a tobacco burst Strat. Have you any shots of it on here? I dig white and burst Strats. I got a two tone tobcacco burst Deluxe. It is my finest Strat I've ever had!

9. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Styx is one the premier concerts I went to back in the day. I saw them with The Cars as the opening act. They were awesome as well. I had 4th row center seats. Bitchen concert!

10. Bflat5

Bflat5 Well-Known Member

I've always liked both bands.

11. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Um huh?

12. RickyLee

Back when I first started learning to play guitar at about 14 years young, there was a few of those "Must Learn" songs, The day I figured out how to play Zeps "Black Dog" and Styx "Miss America", I thought I was really onto something then.

And that solo to "The Grand Illusion". That has always been high on my list of faves. And I always just figured JY played that lead. JY was always the one I thought was the BadAss ripper of that band growing up listening to their stuff. Turns out that Mr. Tommy Shaw is a BadAss 6 String Slinger as well.

It is funny, as I have been buying up quite a few CD's the last few months. Just trying to basically find a lot of the old stuff I had as a kid on vinyl. My entire vinyl collection has been packed up in storage for many years now. So after seeing that Styx show the other night, I ordered up some OLD early Styx as well as some OLD Survivor. And a couple of the Boston CD's I did not have. Last weekend I came across a few CD's here I forgot I had. These were tough to find at first quite a few years ago. The Vandenberg albums on CD as well as the first Quiet Riot albums with Randy. And the first two Yesterday And Today albums on CD. FVCK YEAH!!

13. RickyLee

Well, this is not actually 70's tone. This is into the early 80's but supposedly 70's gear. I have read that Frankie Sullivan from Survivor used a 100W JMP. This is a song that is pure Marshall tone to me. Straight up and to the point. And if he is not using a Marshall on this track, then I sure would like to know what amp was used here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_EIF8J44zk]Survivor - Caught In The Game - YouTube[/ame]

14. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

Tom Scholz to me is criminally UNDERRATED although alot of that from what I've gathered has been by his design. He's a great player. If someone said "Describe 70's rock tone" He would be on a very short list that I would describe. Tommy Shaw? 'Renegade' and 'Blue collar man' are awesome Riffs. Nuff said.

mott555 likes this.
  15. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member VIP Member

There are many ways to get that Boston tone, some of which are too complex for me to describe here. Those methods are built on a more complex understanding of the use of EQs before and after the preamp. But a few easy ways would be:

EQ before the amp's input and goose the 800Hz slider 3-6dB. (700Hz is better, but EQs rarely have that frequency.)

Parametric EQs can be very effective in choosing 700Hz and slightly widening the bandwidth. (Use before the amp's input.)

Find a Rockman EQ if you can. Goose 700Hz by 6dB and the two adjacent frequencies by 3dB. Also cut 80Hz everything from 5KHz and up.

Get a Rockmam Sustainor.

16. RickyLee

I have always had a strong love for bands with strong vocals, and a bigger plus is the harmony vocals. Obviously, The Beatles and Queen are high on that list. But Styx should be mentioned in that same class. I am just amazed at that distinct voice of Dennis DeYoung. Even on the songs that Shaw wrote and sang lead vocals, DeYoung's backing vocal overdubs are just freakin' amazing. I know that Shaw and JY overdubbed vocal tracks in there as well. But it's DeYoung's voice that gives me goosebumps. He just has that special tone and texture in his voice, that you immediately know it's him. Just like Freddie Mercury as well.

I had a listen to the Crystal Ball CD driving home from work today. The first song, "Put Me On" has an amazing mix that I never paid attention to before. And a blistering AND tasty solo from JY. But it dawned on me, that there was a similarity there in that one song to another one of my favorite bands as a very young kid and favorite album of this same band: Sweet "Desolation Boulevard". This Sweet album was part of the vinyl collection that my Mom gave me when I was 8 years young. Sweet was a big influence on me as well, including Andy Scott's guitar work.

But, I guess it's a sign of me getting older and noticing things I did not pay attention to before. Taking many things for granted in life, not just the simple things such as listening to an album I have heard countless times then all of a sudden hearing it differently.

But I have to give props to "The Grand Illusion" as one of the all time great albums, no doubt. If only that was one of the albums I listened to all those years ago on that night when the Mind was expanded for the first time. LOL Rush "2112" was listened to as well as BS "Heaven And Hell" and some wild tunes from The Doors. But the "Grand Illusion" would have been the peak for that night . . . .

mott555 likes this.
  17. RickyLee

Wow. I did not plan on having some very intense Goosebumps with my coffee this morning . . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ_0_CWFk4c]More Than a Feeling - Boston - Vocals Only - YouTube[/ame]

Brad was one of the All Time Greats, no doubt about that. Just listen to that spot on perfect pitch on the long notes he holds. No ProTools pitch correct back in 1976! They did it the old fashioned way till they got it it right. They used their VOCAL CHORDS and HEART!

18. RickyLee

This stuff is freakin' AWESOME! I love listening to isolated tracks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU8oi1tYgQ0]Peace of Mind Vocal Mix - YouTube[/ame]

mott555 likes this.
  19. mott555

mott555 Well-Known Member

It's fascinating how different he sounds without the instruments under his voice.