60th aniversary Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by KISS NATION, Dec 1, 2019.

1. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Well-Known Member

I have just heard that I am due a bonus from work and I am seriously considering buying one of these guitars. I have always wondered what the difference is, if any between a 59 reissue or R9, a VOS 59 and a true historic 59. The same goes for the custom shop and collectors choice guitars.
    I always fancied a nice 80s Les Paul as I was born in the 80s, failing that I think one of these guitars would be as close to an old Les Paul as I am ever likely to get.
    Can anyone explain the difference?

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

When they say "VOS," it can mean that the guitar is rusted oxidized scratched on purpose at the factory to make it look old.
    You may not want that, you might want a new un-scratched guitar with screws that aren't rusted.
    Also from what people have said, they like the 60s neck profile a lot better overall.
    So you might be happy with the 60s reissue instead.

3. KISS NATION

I thought VOS means vintage original spec. In other words made as it was in the 50s or 60s.

CraigP and tce63 like this.
  4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

5. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I was thinking about getting one , in each colour myself .

7. KISS NATION

Good for you. How will you find the time to buy one with all the time you spend taking the piss? If and when you do, let us know what they are like.
    That way you will actually add something relevant to the thread.

8. KISS NATION

I certainly am. However That would be a long way to travel for a guitar.
    I just want to know the difference between this custom shop VOS, a reissue guitar and a true historic. Having never been in the market for such a guitar I don't quite know what to look for.

DirtySteve likes this.
  9. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

VOS is misleading. Gibson says it means Vintage Original Spec, but it's just a historically incorrect finish treatment and has nothing to do with the specs of the guitar itself.

They spray some sort of removable goop on the guitar to give it an "aged patina". You can polish it off. (Many people do -- they buy the guitar for the sound or other specs knowing they don't have to live with the weird goop on it.)

'50s Les Pauls left the factory bright and shiny. The Historic Reissues and True Historics look like the '50s LPs when they were new.

That's the simple part. There's all sorts of nitpicking corksniffery with the Historics and True Historics. Different glues over the years, accuracy of pickup rings, how the tops are sanded (not the shape -- the actually process of achieving the shape -- although the shape itself has varied), whether the truss rod is covered with an elastic "condom" (originals and current RI's are bare steel, but for a long time the Historics had coated rods). The edge shape of the truss rod cover, the positioning of the "Les Paul Model" silkscreen.

Literally millions of words have been written on the LPF and MLP about the tiny little details.

And then there are people who buy brand new RI's and send them off to Historic Makeovers to have the fretboards replaced, tops recarved, full refinish. Another 3 or 4 grand to get a little closer to vintage correct.

Even the True Historics have some vintage inaccuracies. (The originals used phenolic glue for the maple caps, but the TH's went full hide glue for all the joinery.)

10. Ufoscorpion

Don't think I was taking the piss out of you mate , was more of a ' HOW MUCH ' that's way beyond my wallet type comment . Good for you if you've got the wonga to buy one .

11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

There are a couple of questions here:
    Is a custom shop Les Paul worth the outlay? if you are canny, shop around find one that speaks to you - yes. I love my R0 and it is my go to guitar.
    Is the 60th Anniversary model worth the cash? Cheapest in UK is £5k. If you are going to play it and use it as an instrument - probably not. If you are going to keep it in the case as an investment - maybe, maybe not.
    I'd buy a Custon Shop/Historic/VOS R0 again any day, I polished mine, put BKP Mules with coil splits, amber knobs and a normal selector back cover on mine and carry it in a normal Gibson hard brown pink case (not the one it came in). Now it has dings and rubs and minor scratches and it plays and sounds perfect, YMMV!

KISS NATION likes this.
  12. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, when you asked about the difference between a '59 Reissue and a true historic '59, I was assuming you're aware they used to have a "True Historic" line of more accurate reissues.

When they discontinued those they transferred some of the TH features to the regular Historic line.

But you might have meant actual vintage '59s? Lots of little differences. Closer now than 10 years ago, but not absolutely 100% accurate.

But most of the differences are tiny little nuances. Even the Historics from 20 years ago are damn fine guitars. Some of them sound just as good as the vintage ones.

13. KISS NATION

I might not end up with the exact guitar I posted a link to, but I am certainly looking for one or one like it. I am not really fussed about tiny details, I just like the old school looks of vintage Les Pauls. As much as some of the new ones do retain that classic look and even sound/tone in some cases, every time you look at it you will know it was only made five minutes ago. As close as I can get to a 59 without breaking the bank would be nice, in which case I think a bit more searching is required. A new one would be great, a used one in mint condition would also leave me happy.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. KISS NATION

I do apologize :)

15. Ufoscorpion

No worries , I can see how my my comment could be easily taken the wrong way .

KISS NATION likes this.
  16. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Just make sure this one doesn't have any fret buzz. :D

KISS NATION likes this.
  17. KISS NATION

I'm sure there must be some part of the setup I have overlooked. I have used Ernie Ball strings on all my other Les Pauls in the past with a similar low action and have never had an issue like this. Both on brand new and older Les Pauls.
    I guess that is the risk you take when buying a second hand guitar that hasn't been played. Any issues won't become apparent until you have bought it and played it, by which time it's too late and you just have to deal with it.

18. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

If I still have string buzz present after I setup everything to correct specifications the only thing left is to raise the string height in small increments until the buzz is eliminated. At least that’s been my experience with the Gibson’s I own. Good luck and hope you get it right.

19. KISS NATION

That was my thought too. I have several other Les Pauls with actions as low as my new guitar with no sign of buzz.
    Sorry to hijack the thread guys.

20. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

why waste your money?

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.