50watt vs100watt

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by chromeboy, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Modelers are cheap really, I could buy 2 for what I paid for half the amps I'v owned. If you had to buy all the amp's in an AX-8 for instance you would think it was REAL cheap. When you think most people spend at least $1000 on stomp boxes they become a no brainier. I dumped all my stomp boxes and bought a new FX-8 with foot pedal & their cables for about $1200. (I like my amps) However if I were gigging every night today I would take a good look at at some type of system. Once I got what I wanted, I would set up another one the same just in case. Dragging around 2 AX-8 systems is still a far cry from even 1 half stack, just ask my back.

So when you think about it, for about $1500 (AX-8) you can buy just about every amp and every stomp box out there. Pretty cheap in that regard. (I'd go rack mount, foot control, wah pedal and my 2-12"s but you get the idea.)

I saw a AC/DC tribute band a few weeks back. From the back of the room something looked funny to me so I went up to investigate. The Marshall guitar speakers I was looking at were nothing more than a wood frame with a cloth draped over it to look like stack's. I could not find an amp at all so I guess they had some type of modeler system in the PA. Sounded real. The only problem with the Axe stuff is you need a small computer to set it up or adjust things. A better screen would be a huge improvement. Also they are very hard to get used to and really do "to much" stuff for most people.

KraftyBob likes this.
  2. Ivanock

Ivanock Member

But the price for the ax8 it's just the beggining. You need to have some way to hear yourself. So you need in ear monitors or an actual amp (and cab) on stage! Modelers gets expensive pretty quick once you contemplete the whole system

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

For me I would still want speakers, I hate the whole in ear thing. Your really just getting rid of the amp and pedals so it's a smaller lighter package. I need to stand in front of the sound to "feel" the music.

4. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

That would sound great with a tubescreamer in front of it , just a tad too boomy without .

5. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

i like the boomy personally. but i can see where some might not.
    yes a tube screamer :cheers:

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I prefer 50W amps. They are lighter and its cheaper to retube.

7. ricksconnected

its funny to me to see folks go get these high wattage amps then spend more cash to attenuate it to quiet it down.
    its like trying to use a sledge hammer to do carpentry work, or using a pressure washer to clean your living room carpet.
    lol or dressing up in camo and trying to look like Rambo just to go to the firing range.

8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yup...or a chainsaw to do finishing woodwork!!!

ricksconnected likes this.
  9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yea but a 100 or 50 watt amp attenuated still sounds better than a 1 watt amp cranked..no contest with my amps.

10. Fender

Fender Active Member

I own 100 watters but now I would never buy a mono tube amp with more than 50W, mostly because of weight and valve prices.
    50W is largely enough for any use

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

You need to hear yourself with a tube amp, too. So you have the head, the cab(s), and whatever effects you prefer. And to keep up with the switching capabilities of digital systems, you would need a switching system and foot controller for one tap switching of amp channels and effects. Overall, to get apples-to-apples performance between the two it's pretty much a wash financially.

12. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

Years ago I liked 50 watt amps more than 100 watt amps.. I had 2 Soldano Hot Rods but sold the 100 watt and kept the 50 watt.. But all of my other amps today are all 100 watts. And I really like 100 watt amps now.. I still like my 50 watt Soldano but use my other 100 watt amps more Soldano Hot Rod 50 1.jpg often..

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  13. ricksconnected

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Nice unit! I'll bet she sounds great. To me wattage does not matter, 20w is plenty for most. But the tone from the amp seems to be "better" from larger iron amp's, ie: 100w unit's. My Mesa TC100 has the same pre-amp as my TC50 combo I had, but I like the 100 better. (+ I can set the power.) My X100b amp's are also 100w and I can't really go past about 3 on the volume at 25% power, but the amp sounds amazing. It just seems like bigger transformer's and more tubes bring better tone's. I really like the Mesa unit's that attenuate the power to what the gig calls for, sure wish more companies did that.

CraigP and ricksconnected like this.
  15. ricksconnected

thats Mesa for you. always thinking ahead.

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yep, I think Mesa is the best "new" amp on the market. You get high quality, great sound, versatility, and you don't need to add shit to it or "mod" it to make it sound good. They also come with everything needed, real reverb, and the hook up's on the back are 2nd to none. I think a lot of people are missing out by not trying some of the amp's they make.

17. Fender

Fender Active Member

mesa are good "new" amps, indeed, but they are a giant pain in the ass when they get old and need servicing. they're the worst amps to service, the guts are litterally a fuckin' mess...