4X12 8ohms and 4X12 16ohms question ?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Kelia, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Something else smoked your SS amp. You can do that more than momentarily.
    Ive dealt with many many SS amps including PA ones for nearly 40 years. I never met one that could NOT run without a load. No load is like infinity. It is fine.

Ex. From all about circuits.
    Solid-state amp (almost always) have no signal transformers and have a low output impedance, looking simply like a voltage amplifier, so whether they have a load or not has little effect on the signal output voltage, and thus they are not damaged by no load

They have a minimum impedance and that also is at full or high levels as mentioned. At lower levels you can get away with it. Not that I would do it.

spacerocker and Kelia like this.
  2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Maybe I mentioned this in another thread but pay attention to intended use and manufacturrere's intentions or it can kill your output stage.

Kelia likes this.
  3. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    You can call me what the fuck you like...
    ...but I'll only answer to Nik - so please yourself.
    We're blokes, we never read the damned instruction manual (except as a truly last resort...)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    mickeydg5 and SkyMonkey like this.
  4. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

It was my VS65R.
    I changed the tube and then turned it on with the chassis out, forgetting that I had disconnected the integral speaker lead to allow the chassis movement.
    I saw an immediate wisp of smoke out of the corner of my eye and shut the amp off as soon as possible.
    To be honest I don't remember where the smoke came from (it was one of the ends), but something was burning.
    I reconnected the speaker and started up the amp and it has been fine ever since.

So I'm not sure what it was, but something couldn't stand to operate without a load. EDIT* pretty sure it was on the far left side of the circuit board (as seen from the front).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019