4X12 8ohms and 4X12 16ohms question ?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Kelia, Sep 15, 2019.

1. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I joined this discussion with an open mind - not entirely sure what was meant by a "voltage doubler" in the context of a HT power supply of a valve amplifier.

Having read with great interest the arguments being put forward - it is clear to me that some people like to argue for the sake of it, and have a very fixed view which is different to most other people on here who have amplifier and/or electronics experience.

Santial has repeated (with great tact and diplomacy in fact...) - that it is more a matter of semantics than a proper technical discussion - in other words - calling something a name for that which is not (in this case calling a bridge rectifier power supply a voltage doubler). I can call a banana a potato if I like. Does that make it wrong? Perhaps not for me, if that is my view, but it does tend to cause confusion in the Greengrocers/ Supermarket!

John has repeatedly failed to show what voltage is being doubled, or where in the rectifier circuit, yet he insists on calling it a "voltage doubler"

Not really - I can't see any doubling anywhere, what voltage is being doubled? Where?

I tried to explain, with the use of examples of a Simple bridge rectifier circuit with actual AV and DC voltages, but John has shown little interest in going down to this level of detail - yet accuses Santiago of being "light" with his responses:

I don't see any clarity, just hundreds and hundreds of words.....

This statement (quoted from another forum) is an attempt to explain why the bridge rectifier with bridge tap (which Santiago has already said is not fundamental to the operation of the circuit, but is a historic artifact, but also serving to keep the voltages on the series output caps balanced), is in some mysterious way, a voltage doubler:

But this argument is like saying a loaf of bread is not a loaf of bread - it is a "half-loaf doubler" since if you cut it in half, and put the two haves together, you have a whole loaf! In-fact, I think from now on, when I buy bread, I am going to specifically ask for a "half-loaf doubler"! Imagine the fun and long protracted conversations I can have doing that!!!

I have a little electronics experience, and have worked as a professional electronics engineer (although in the area of switched mode power supplies (where REAL voltage doubling is possible!) rather than audio amplification. My work these days is more Electrical (automotive) than electronics....

But if I was a layman (with little or no electrical or electronics experience) reading this thread, I think I would be more inclined to believe Santiago than John Hammond, - that there is nothing special or different about a bridge rectifier circuit with a centre tap, compared to one without, and that the neither circuit is called, or acts like a voltage doubler....

If anything I admire your confidence and self-belief, John. Santiago is well respected here for a reason - he designed some of the most revered modern Marshall amplifiers produced in recent times, including the JVM series, AFD and YJM amplifiers (plus some others...). I think he was head of his design department at Marshall while he was there? As I said before, if Santiago told me that I was mistaken about something, I would be inclined to believe him, and benefit from the learning being offered!

So I don't think I am going to continue with this discussion (entertaining though it has been!) - I don't think anyone or anything is going to convince John that a simple bridge rectifier circuit with a centre tapped transformer is - well, just that and not some form of magical , fly-back boost regulator which doubles something, somewhere!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    SmokeyDopey likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

just a note: John Hammond has left the building.

while, it's ok to further discuss his points (right or wrong), let's just not discuss him (personally), from this point on.

thanks...

3. santiall

santiall Well-Known Member

Well, it's not about me being right or anything like that... I tried to explain that while technically it's not a voltage doubler, some people call them that and then I left it there.

Now, should we discuss that a guitar tremolo bridge is actually a vibrato? :D

4. Kelia

Kelia Active Member

Good day Santiall , I have a question for you , I have a 2555SL
    and love the amp and was wondering why I get no ear fatigue with it even after playing it loud for a while compared with Plexi's I had and lots of others ?
    Is it because it has even harmonics or something ?

Tx

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

It's called a WHAMMY.

And I'll fight anyone here who says different!!!

Dogs of Doom and spacerocker like this.
  6. spacerocker

NO! It's called a "PMA" (Pitch Modulation Apparatus) - because I SAY SO! :lol::lol::lol:

7. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Hmm...

Hope ol' hambone wasn't offed because of this debate.
    I was so disturbed by this 'discussion' that I went back to my ancient notes made at Hackney Technical college in the early seventies...

Centre-Tap Full Wave Rectifier - two diodes and big iron/copper, centre tapped.
    As the spaces between each half-wave developed by each diode is now being filled in by the other diode the average DC output voltage across the load resistor is now double that of the single half-wave rectifier circuit and is about 0.637Vmax of the peak voltage, assuming no losses.

I wonder if this kind of wording was the source of all the grief...

8. santiall

Oh man, I should have stayed quiet...

I'm not sure... There is a lot of personal taste and psychology in the way one perceives certain sounds. The 2555 have a certain type of distortion that makes it quite compressed whilst a plexi is much more dynamic and relies heavily on the power amp distortion.
    Probably we could analyse the harmonic content and come to some sort of conclusion but that won't be taking into account the 'feel' of the amp. We could have two amps that sound the same, with the same harmonic content but one of them being more dynamic or suiting our playing style more...
    It can get quite complicated so just go with whatever you like the most.

9. Kelia

Kelia Active Member

Thank you Sir !!
    Really appreciate !

Love it when you break silence !
    Haha!

10. spacerocker

Yes - maybe it was something like that? I had the feeling that there was something that he wasn't quite grasping, and he had this firm belief...... either way, none of the circuits being discussed used "half wave rectification", or even full wave rectification using two diodes...All the circuits being discussed used full wave, bridge rectification!

I'm sure we have all been in discussions where we hold on to a belief despite being at odds with everyone else (I know I have!) - but there comes a point when we have to stand back and look again and question whether we have misunderstood something along we way? When an ex-Marshall senior amp designer gets involved, that should have been the point, really (instead of arguing the toss!) I wish Mr Hammond Well, anyway!

Nik Henville and santiall like this.
  11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

it's a whammy bar! :)...

12. santiall

Definitely, that's usually the origin of those incorrectly named circuits or anything actually. Someone writes 'voltage doubler' and slowly becomes an misnomer.

It's also not about me having been Technical Director or Marshall (something like CTO) I actually got a MSc in power electronics engineering and, as an engineer, we tend to be pedant and specific with the way we identify circuits. I do of course understand that people may use different terms and I'm sure I do the same for other things but, as said, again, that's technicality not a voltage doubler at all. You want to call it 'voltage doubler' then fine, what's the point arguing?

In any case, bear in mind that engineers are never wrong! aren't we? :hmm:

13. South Park

South Park Active Member

The plexi cf in the preamp inverts the signal and makes third order distortion. It is the important part of the sound you get. A real work of art

14. Kelia

Kelia Active Member

Haha!..............I'm a house builder and deal with engineers and they are never wrong !!:cool:

Mitchell Pearrow and santiall like this.
  15. Kelia

Kelia Active Member

I have another question and been wondering !

Why both of my 4X12 G12H Pre Rola cabs read under 15 ohms ?
    One reads 11.7 and the other 13.5 iirc !?

Tx

16. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

All of these products have tolerances which can sometimes be up to 20%.
    13.5 DCR to 11.7 DCR is about 13% out but do understand you are talking about products made and used some 40+ years ago.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  17. Kelia

Kelia Active Member

Thank you Mick !!

18. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Thank heavens I was busy at work and missed this thread's developments. Funnily enough I had to make a voltage doubler this weekend, I had to put a Partridge 100w PT in an Orange ORST50. Had 360vac (no centre tap) and as typical with bridge rectifier got 500vdc. Problem was max negative bias voltage of 40v (needed -45 to get 35mA of cathode current at idle with EL34s). Drop in an extra 10uF cap in the feed, diode to ground - hey presto max negative volts of 80v = happy days!
    [​IMG]

19. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

From Marshall:

upload_2019-9-23_13-30-16.png

upload_2019-9-23_13-30-32.png

upload_2019-9-23_13-31-10.png

draw your own conclusions

SmokeyDopey likes this.
  20. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Thanks guys (and Joanna), I appreciate your time and patience.